First time buying a truck - please help!

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
We're 6 months in and generally happy. I chose the Ranger over the Toyota or GM offerings because it had the best ride and highway handling. At over 6-feet tall, I found the sitting position in the Toyota intolerable. My wife liked the interior more, which was important because of long trips.
Sponsored

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I would echo most of what’s already been said, but I would add that the WHITE Rangers are a bit faster, they travel off road much easier, they have lower maintenance, and they have been scientifically proven to lower your cholesterol and raise your IQ by 25 points. :wink:
IMG_2737.JPG

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I would echo most of what’s already been said, but I would add that the WHITE Rangers are a bit faster, they travel off road much easier, they have lower maintenance, and they have been scientifically proven to lower your cholesterol and raise your IQ by 25 points. :wink:
IMG_2737.JPG

Wow...You're IQ's up to what,45 now? lol...j/k ? :beer:

You're Ranger looks really good! :like:

DaytonBenson

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Shipping and receiving
I shopped these three extensively when I started my search, and I also included the Gladiator in my comparisons. I really disliked just about everything in the Tacoma, its more difficult to see out of, less comfortable and the electronics all feel like they were designed 10 years ago. The Colorado is very similar, but worse on mileage and overall HP. I loved the Gladiator, but Jeep's reputation for bad mileage and difficulty of highway driving made the price seem a bit much to me. I love the ranger, first brand new vehicle I've owned. Nobody builds a truck like Ford.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I paid for it today to ensure April incentives. It’s being delivered shortly. Will update!

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Congratulations on buying the Ranger. It sounds like they quoted you a really good price on the Ranger. How did things go with the finance guy? The finance guy is the person at the dealership that concerns me the most and is also the person you need to watch the closest. The finance guys are the top salesmen at the dealership, and this is the guy they look to make the money on the deal. I cringe when these guys talk monthly payment. They can hide a lot of profit in that figure. When they quote a real good price up front, just be concerned about what they may try to add on the backend of the deal. I would highly recommend you watch some of the Kevin Hunter videos on YouTube about buying a car. He goes into all the tricks they pull from the time you agree on a price with the salesman to the time you drive away. I think I have had every trick he talks about pulled on me over the years, and some I have fallen for. Since you haven’t picked up the vehicle yet, the ball is still in your court. Hopefully, it is a clean deal. Check the balance sheet for any mathematical errors or any unusual addons. If you traded in a vehicle, make sure they are giving you full tax credit on the trade in amount. If they sold you GAP insurance, I would contact your insurance agent ASAP. You will find that you can get GAP from your agent for way cheaper than the dealership wants to sell it to you for.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
The finance guy is the person at the dealership that concerns me the most and is also the person you need to watch the closest. The finance guys are the top salesmen at the dealership, and this is the guy they look to make the money on the deal.
When I bought my Ranger, I went into the finance guy's office ready to do battle. My past experience has taught me that all kinds of extra expenses start popping up in that office. Not this time. I think part of it was that it was getting really late and there was still one more sale after mine that he needed to take care of before he could go home, so the simpler he kept things the sooner he would leave. The final total cost that I shook hands on with the sales manager didn't change in the finance guy's office. No add-on dealer fees. No financing origination fees, and a loan that had no early payoff penalty (very important for my situation).

At one point he stops and says, "You aren't interested in our premium protection plan, are you? No? Ok. [Short pause] If we were doing this four hours ago I would have given you a longer pitch to try to sell that to you. [Longer pause, then he turns to me] And if anybody asks, I DID give you a long sales pitch on that."

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Congratulations on buying the Ranger. It sounds like they quoted you a really good price on the Ranger. How did things go with the finance guy? The finance guy is the person at the dealership that concerns me the most and is also the person you need to watch the closest. The finance guys are the top salesmen at the dealership, and this is the guy they look to make the money on the deal. I cringe when these guys talk monthly payment. They can hide a lot of profit in that figure. When they quote a real good price up front, just be concerned about what they may try to add on the backend of the deal. I would highly recommend you watch some of the Kevin Hunter videos on YouTube about buying a car. He goes into all the tricks they pull from the time you agree on a price with the salesman to the time you drive away. I think I have had every trick he talks about pulled on me over the years, and some I have fallen for. Since you haven’t picked up the vehicle yet, the ball is still in your court. Hopefully, it is a clean deal. Check the balance sheet for any mathematical errors or any unusual addons. If you traded in a vehicle, make sure they are giving you full tax credit on the trade in amount. If they sold you GAP insurance, I would contact your insurance agent ASAP. You will find that you can get GAP from your agent for way cheaper than the dealership wants to sell it to you for.
Thank you so much for your tips. Much appreciated! I played the system to finance in order to get APR rebates($1500) but will pay off the total amount at the first bill to avoid APR and told the finance gal that so there were no games LOL!! I always avoid APR if I can and never buy extra crap. I work hard for my money, never give it to THE MAN if I can avoid it, whatever form he comes in. I hate how dealerships try to manipulate people. I take pride in my heritage though; my mama taught me how to sit and bargain until the cows come home. They think they're fatiguing the consumer? I could do that all day : )

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you know what you are dealing with, they can't hide things in the monthly payments. If you know what kind of a deal you want, you can figure out payments on a load term at a rate you want and get a payment. As long as you pay attention to what they are offering, they can't get things by you. In the past I haven't cared HOW they did it - either give me an incredible trade in, or give me a discount on the new car, or a combo - but I had a target for what I thought is fair and I knew what kind of term I wanted and a target rate and it had a payment of x.

The one thing you have to watch out for, IMO, is the new ways in which they want to trick you. They seem to come up with never ending ideas on how to sell you new stuff.

Fortunately, the last two times we've purchased a vehicle I haven't had to go thru the hard sell. When I bought the Ranger it was the simplest closing I've ever done. They actually had all the paperwork printed out and ready to sign when we walked in the door. 15 minutes and we were done. No up-selling, no extras. I drove an hour to buy from this dealership and would do so again - it was that good of an experience.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you know what you are dealing with, they can't hide things in the monthly payments. If you know what kind of a deal you want, you can figure out payments on a load term at a rate you want and get a payment. As long as you pay attention to what they are offering, they can't get things by you. In the past I haven't cared HOW they did it - either give me an incredible trade in, or give me a discount on the new car, or a combo - but I had a target for what I thought is fair and I knew what kind of term I wanted and a target rate and it had a payment of x.

The one thing you have to watch out for, IMO, is the new ways in which they want to trick you. They seem to come up with never ending ideas on how to sell you new stuff.

Fortunately, the last two times we've purchased a vehicle I haven't had to go thru the hard sell. When I bought the Ranger it was the simplest closing I've ever done. They actually had all the paperwork printed out and ready to sign when we walked in the door. 15 minutes and we were done. No up-selling, no extras. I drove an hour to buy from this dealership and would do so again - it was that good of an experience.

This is so true. Although it's not really a trick,I've been seeing more and more "dealer add ons" which are highly marked up. In my case they already had their "performance package" installed which was a drop in bed liner,tinted windows,wheel locks,pin striping,nitrogen filled tires and clear door edge guards for the low low price of $2,995.00. lol First thing I told them was they can either take it all out or deduct the $2,995.0 off right now before we even start negotiating.

They did try and scare me into the extended warrantee with "there's so many computers on board" blah blah blah which I finally said I do not want anything extra. I was happy with my sales as a whole but I agree the finance guy is usually the high pressure one to look out for.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Post them when you can. Congratulations.
Sponsored