First long trip

Retamaman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Magnetic Sport, 2020 Genesis G80 3.8L
Took my first long trip of 1000 miles. Truck ran great, in fact it was impressive. Got 25.6 mpg hand calculated with a tail wind. Dropped to 20.3 on the way home into a strong headwind and my foot got a little heavier. My only complaint is the seats in my XLT are good for about 50 miles, then they get real uncomfortable. Pretty disappointing. Otherwise, it was fun to drive. Noticed the seats felt a little better on the way home, after two hours my arse was numb. So there is that. Trouble was I lost 10 minutes while I stood still to let the feeling come back before I tried to walk to fill up.:LOL:
Sponsored

CMJT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2017 Subaru Outback
I have a Lariat and make the 180 mile trip to Boston quite often and the seats are pretty comfortable. But we are all different sizes and I'm not sure the difference in the seats between the two models but that sucks and I'm sorry that yours aren't more comfortable for you.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t tell if you give your truck an overall passing grade or not for the long ride. I hope you can figure out how to make the seat more comfortable for you. Sweating it out until you go numb is not a great long term strategy.

Good Luck!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Took my first long trip of 1000 miles. Truck ran great, in fact it was impressive. Got 25.6 mpg hand calculated with a tail wind. Dropped to 20.3 on the way home into a strong headwind and my foot got a little heavier. My only complaint is the seats in my XLT are good for about 50 miles, then they get real uncomfortable. Pretty disappointing. Otherwise, it was fun to drive. Noticed the seats felt a little better on the way home, after two hours my arse was numb. So there is that. Trouble was I lost 10 minutes while I stood still to let the feeling come back before I tried to walk to fill up.:LOL:
Hi Mike,

Have not taken a long trip as of yet... However, I use a Purple seat cushion at home and transfer it to the motorhome when we take off for the summer... works great for me!

https://purple.com/seat-cushions

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I really love my seats in my XLT my usual commute is about is a little over an hour each way and I have had a few longer trips and really enjoy my rides, especially with the heated seats running.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
My hint for long trip comfiness is if your wallet is normally in your back pocket, take it out for the drive.

I have been doing regular 250 miles trips and actually get too comfy and want to doze off. So I stop at Buccees about have way through the trip.

P.S. this truck mpg does not like headwind.

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I really love my seats in my XLT my usual commute is about is a little over an hour each way and I have had a few longer trips and really enjoy my rides, especially with the heated seats running.
I love the seats in my Ranger. I find them very comfortable. But everyone’s different.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I have been doing regular 250 miles trips and actually get too comfy and want to doze off. So I stop at Buccees about have way through the trip.
I know the feeling about wanting to take a snooze in the seats - especially with the heated seats going.

OP
OP
Retamaman

Retamaman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Magnetic Sport, 2020 Genesis G80 3.8L
I can’t tell if you give your truck an overall passing grade or not for the long ride. I hope you can figure out how to make the seat more comfortable for you. Sweating it out until you go numb is not a great long term strategy.

Good Luck!
I really did enjoy driving the truck and I do give it a passing grade. There is some tongue in cheek (no pun intended) in my post. I found the seats to be trying on an 8 hour drive. Already have a strategy for the next time. Thanks to all for the suggestions offered

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
At 6'2" I'm tall. I have found almost all seats to not offer enough leg support. As a result I typically raise the front of the seat if the seat is not electrically adjustable - the Ranger's is not.. For the my Ranger I've raised it about 1/2" by inserting washers under the each of the two frame rails. I've driven several 1,000 mile trips and it helps but I think I'm going for another 1/2" before my 1,500 mile trip in May.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
That is why when we buy a new vehicle,8 or 10 way power seats with heat are mandatory. The leather doesn't hurt either. The lariat we have is THE most comfortable seats we've had in a long time. We've done on road trip,about 254 miles one way.Awesome comfort,but still have to stop once and we get out and walk around for a bit,grab a burger,then continue on.

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Went 2500 miles round trip to Florida last summer. Wife's back is marginal and she only needed to stop once a day on the trip (500+ miles each day). My Lariat seats are one of the better rides I've had in years.

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
My Lariat has an adjustable seat but I need more leg room and because of my height and bad back would like to extend the seat farther back into the unused space behind the seat. This rather than use the height adjustment to go up.

Has anyone tried to extend the tracks? I have ideas on how to do it but thought I'd ask before I reinvent the wheel. That would allow both the same up and more leg stretch.
Thanks!
Sponsored