Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
From my Retiree Newsletter..... Blast from the past....

Fiesta Concept Pickup Turns Car into ‘Fantasy’ Vehicle

Dec-01-2022

Email Share

While the Ford Fiesta was only offered as one vehicle type during its short time in the United States, a transforming Fiesta concept created to celebrate the company’s 75th anniversary showed what could have been.
The subcompact was available to customers in the United States from 1978 to 1980 and again from 2010 to 2019. The celebratory concept vehicle, Fiesta Fantasy, was created in 1978 by the Dearborn-based Advanced Vehicles Development Group. It was based on a standard Fiesta and was a featured model at Ford’s auto show displays throughout the year. The functional show vehicle could be easily transformed from a pickup truck with a soft tonneau cover into four different cars: a sports coupe, 2+2 hard top and soft top convertible, or station wagon.
The car was intended to show how Ford could meet the demand for versatile, economical and fuel-efficient vehicles. The Fantasy was preceded on the show circuit by the Prima, Ford’s first multi-purpose vehicle, in 1976. The car was converted using steel tops, whereas Fantasy used fiberglass. Prima also lacked a convertible option.
Other than the change in configurations, the Fantasy maintained the original dimensions and parts of the German-built Fiesta. A removable glass and aluminum bulkhead divided the cabin of the Fantasy’s pickup variant from the cargo area, while its fiberglass top clamped onto the sides of the pickup box to create the other cars.
Fiesta Fantasy was introduced at the New England Auto Show in Boston and joined Ford’s auto show displays at later events. The Fiesta was also the basis for another 2+2 sports coupe concept: the aluminum-bodied Corrida, which featured top-hinged gull-wing doors along with black and red metallic paint. The car also featured a modular dashboard and electronic headlamp flaps for improved aerodynamics.
Several other Fiesta-related one-offs were created by the European-based Ghia design studio in the 1980s, followed by another Fiesta-based pickup: BeBop, in 1990. The truck for adventure-seekers was equipped to carry outdoor gear such as surfboards and mountain bikes and was outfitted with spoilers and a rollbar. Further Fiesta creations from the Ghia projects were followed by the Ford Libre Concept in 1998, an open-topped sports car with rear-hinged doors, and the Fiesta RS Concept from 2004, an extreme performance car with a rally-inspired chassis and body modifications.
Though the Fiesta’s production run in the U.S. was short-lived, production continued in Europe. Ford recently announced it would cease production of Fiesta next summer. Click here to read more about the car’s two production runs in the U.S.

• CLICK TO ENLARGE

• CLICK TO ENLARGE

• CLICK TO ENLARGE

• CLICK TO ENLARGE

• CLICK TO ENLARGE

• CLICK TO ENLARGE

• CLICK TO ENLARGE

7/7

You are currently on slide Slide 7 of 7,
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Very interesting. Maybe I missed it, but what engine / tranny options were available in the concept or just the basic Fiestas back then?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I'd drive it with the pickup setup. It's almost big enough for a keg AND ice

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i like it better than the fiestas i remember from the 1990 ish time frame and the gm geo competition. reminds of the lil vw cabrio i think from about that late 80 - 1990 ish time frame.
I feel a maverick fiesta car truck meme coming...

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Don't know where the US model was sourced but in Australia, Ford first Fiesta's were re-badge Kia Prides. Actually weren't bad little cars. Back when Ford had a share in Kia through Mazda. There was a lot of Mazda tech in the early Kias, later when Kia went bust during the Asian GFC, Mazda sold their shares to Hyundai, and the Mazda tech was progressively replaced with Mitsubishi which is what Hyundai had always used.