Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the snow ice slush zone of Maine. I find a little extra weight over the rear tires goes a long way to stabilizing the direction of travel and improving braking distances in a nose heavy pickup. Physics don’t change because it’s 2019 and we have traction control.

I have 200 lbs of sandbags against the bulkhead of my supercab, similar to the mass of a supercrew. during a storm if i have no crap in the bed i will move the four bags to between the rear wheel wells. i also have 40 lbs of crap in the passenger side rear seat. Tools etc. First real snow may come this week :)
Sponsored

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
On my last '09 Ranger 2wd, I had to put weight in it, I had close to 300lbs to help get around. Debating if I need to do it on mine, we did have snow, but I wan't home when we had it as we were on vacation.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Commuted in rural snow country for 5 decades. never carried weight in the box, never had 4WD.
The new Ranger has a long wheelbase to track ratio which won't help but it should be manageable.
Tires make a big difference.
A bag of sand could be handy along with a chunk of cardboard,These can be used to gain traction if stuck on ice or snow.
I also carry a chain or a sling to pull other drivers out of the ditch.
Carry an extra coat, hat and gloves, along with water and snack bars, maybe a blanket and jumper cables too
Obviously NOBODY here would leave home without a phone!:angel:

Last edited:

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
For those snow-zone owners out there...

I used to add a couple hundred pounds in the bed of my 2wd Canyon, but now I have 4wd and around 500lb more with my Ranger. Haven't had a chance to see how it handles in the snow yet...

With winter coming... any snow-zone Ranger owners putting extra weight in the bed?

Thanks for your time!

In our work pickups CHEV/GMC 2500 HDs we add 6 - 60# sandbags to the back and it helps a lot.
I just finished a 500+ mile trip this weekend and coming back home in full snow/ice/blowing wind and I'm thinking I might add 4 of the #60 bags to my ranger.
It kicked out and lost traction going up a hill while fighting crosswinds.
I've got General Grabber Arctic snow tires on and they are great, but it was just the ice and conditions that gave me some issues.

Deleted member 1634

I've heard varying answers from fellow truck owners that I know in real life. Same goes for other winter prep activities like snow tires or no snow tires (no need to rehash that topic on here as there are other threads where it is being highly debated). So much so that basically I'm just going to run the truck as is for a little while, see how it goes, and make changes accordingly if need be. I'd hate to put money and time into things if it doesn't even actually need it. It all comes down to your experience may vary.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Of my 3 F-150's over the years when I lived in an area averaging 8' of snow I never chained up nor put any weight in the bed. Only once did I do a couple 360's on the freeway and that is when I crossed into the slush pile between lanes to pass a truck. Ass end came around twice and pointed me back in the right direction only to once again pass the truck. Fun stuff! :devil:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I live in the snow ice slush zone of Maine. I find a little extra weight over the rear tires goes a long way to stabilizing the direction of travel and improving braking distances in a nose heavy pickup. Physics don’t change because it’s 2019 and we have traction control.

I have 200 lbs of sandbags against the bulkhead of my supercab, similar to the mass of a supercrew. during a storm if i have no crap in the bed i will move the four bags to between the rear wheel wells. i also have 40 lbs of crap in the passenger side rear seat. Tools etc. First real snow may come this week :)

Physics don't change, but the vehicle is now much more capable of dealing with them. It will brake individual wheels to keep you going in the direction that the wheel is pointed. Once some lakes freeze, I'll have to show everyone the differences using a car that can brake individual wheels vs one that cannot. It's downright impressive.

I'd only load extra weight if 1. I was 2WD or 2. I was driving on surfaces that may or may not be suitable for 4WD, but could be slippery.

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
Physics don't change, but the vehicle is now much more capable of dealing with them. It will brake individual wheels to keep you going in the direction that the wheel is pointed. Once some lakes freeze, I'll have to show everyone the differences using a car that can brake individual wheels vs one that cannot. It's downright impressive.

I'd only load extra weight if 1. I was 2WD or 2. I was driving on surfaces that may or may not be suitable for 4WD, but could be slippery.
your number two reason is the reason why i do it. I’d rather not get to the point of requiring computer intervention.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
For those snow-zone owners out there...

I used to add a couple hundred pounds in the bed of my 2wd Canyon, but now I have 4wd and around 500lb more with my Ranger. Haven't had a chance to see how it handles in the snow yet...

With winter coming... any snow-zone Ranger owners putting extra weight in the bed?

Thanks for your time!
I live in the NE Ohio snowbelt. I am not adding weight to the truck. No need with 4wd and locker.

Only time weight makes sense is with 2wd

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 4x4 and until they offer automatic 4x4 mode in the Ranger, it doesn't hurt to keep a little weight in the bed -- if nothing else for a smoother ride! I live in SE Michigan and unless I'm driving in a blizzard or the roads haven't been plowed, I'm most likely in 4x2 mode. A little extra traction in the rear helps if the roads are wet or icy.

Deleted member 1634

As an update to the topic at hand. I ended up throwing four 70lb bags of sand just behind the rear wheels a couple months ago. I have noticed a difference. Definitely not an end all be all solution. But for only $12 (they were on sale haha), definitely the most bang for your buck with regards to added traction per dollar.
Sponsored