Extra fob in kitchen drawer

Hot Pepper Red Zeppelin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
In 2.5 yrs never thought of this before but should I have been alternating the two fobs every few months? Or maybe remove the battery from the one that isn't used?

If I ever need the other one sure would suck if it isn't ready to go.

I just checked the spare (lock, unlock) and it worked.
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Don’t remove the battery from the unused fob. One day you might be away from home and loose your fob (or break it or battery dies etc). So you call someone to bring the extra fob to rescue you. And if no battery in it then what good is it?

Get a tester and verify the V or just replace batteries every couple years.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I keep the extra fob in the truck, with battery removed. The battery is the console to replace my primary if it dies, or if I want to use the spare with full features.

The fob itself does not "need" the battery to be effective. There is a physical key tucked inside it to manually open the lock cylinder on the driver's door, or tailgate.

The cup holder has sensors in it which can detect the fob even with dead fob battery. Drop the fob in the cup holder and you can start/drive the truck.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I keep the extra FOB in my house and use it mainly to lock the truck when warming it up. I also keep an extra chip key on my person in a Flash Drive holder clipped on to a belt loop in case ever lose the FOB key I use while driving. Of course, this doesn't work for a keyless entry.

Extra key.jpg

Case closed.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: