Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Where did you get that warranty...
Look up Flood Ford ESP online. I even spoke with the salesman. I forget his name. Gardenier or something like that. It’ll tell you on the website. This is a Ford dealership.
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purchased a 7/75,000 with $200 deductible through Flood Ford. I got a PayPal notice but I never received a confirmation email from Flood though. I did check my junk folder. Anyone else have that issue?
When I bought mine, it was a Friday night. It said it could take up to 5 business days, but I had the confirmation on Monday.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone needs to do what helps them sleep at night. I am making this post just so folks are aware.

The reason that there are so many extended warranties being offered by so many outfits is they are extremely profitable. The reason they are so profitable is that they all cover the vehicle during the portion of it's life that statistically it is least likely to fail.

I have been an engineer for the past 45+ years and there is a phenomenon that governs the reliability of all manufactured products called the characteristic life cycle or "Bathtub Curve". This phenomenon states that the failure rate of new products starts out relatively high and then quickly goes down to a relatively low and constant rate failure and out in the future when the product starts to wear out the failure rate goes up, hence the term Bathtub Curve. Extended warranties cover the product during that low and constant failure rate portion of it's life.

Using this phenomenon to describe your cars reliability you are most likely to have a failure during the bumper to bumper portion of the warranty with the likely hood of a failure being very low during the powertrain portion of the warranty. This very low failure rate will stay constant until the vehicle starts wearing out, with a well maintained vehicle that is going to be out in the 200k mile range.

Personally in my 45+ years of buying new vehicles and keeping them for 7 to 10 years I have never had a failure that made me wish I had purchased an extended warranty.
I’ve already had one unfortunately.:frown:.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
If hes on commission he just got a late xmas bonus

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Everyone needs to do what helps them sleep at night. I am making this post just so folks are aware.

The reason that there are so many extended warranties being offered by so many outfits is they are extremely profitable. The reason they are so profitable is that they all cover the vehicle during the portion of it's life that statistically it is least likely to fail.

I have been an engineer for the past 45+ years and there is a phenomenon that governs the reliability of all manufactured products called the characteristic life cycle or "Bathtub Curve". This phenomenon states that the failure rate of new products starts out relatively high and then quickly goes down to a relatively low and constant rate failure and out in the future when the product starts to wear out the failure rate goes up, hence the term Bathtub Curve. Extended warranties cover the product during that low and constant failure rate portion of it's life.

Using this phenomenon to describe your cars reliability you are most likely to have a failure during the bumper to bumper portion of the warranty with the likely hood of a failure being very low during the powertrain portion of the warranty. This very low failure rate will stay constant until the vehicle starts wearing out, with a well maintained vehicle that is going to be out in the 200k mile range.

Personally in my 45+ years of buying new vehicles and keeping them for 7 to 10 years I have never had a failure that made me wish I had purchased an extended warranty.
I couldn’t agree more and have lived that way myself after being burned on a bankrupt warranty company years ago.

Having said that, I just bought a 8/100k/200 plan. Why ? Because back in the day self insuring for the little non Powertrain stuff was no big deal. As long as the bathtub curve applied to the expensive engine, tranny or air conditioning you were golden.

The issue now, especially in inflationary times, is the little stuff is 2,400 here 3,700 there. You just have to be wrong a couple of times. Also given inflation and part shortages who knows how much these costs will rise. Your brilliant engineering mind is shooting at a moving financial target. You analyze widgets, finance types like me look at dollars. It is all risk reward in the end.​
I appreciate you point of view and two years ago I’d plant a flag to defend your argument, but times have changed.​

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
When I bought mine, it was a Friday night. It said it could take up to 5 business days, but I had the confirmation on Monday.
I bought mine online this past Sunday and got an email confirmation with invoice, contract and plan brochure within a few hours. Great service!

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Just pulled up the trigger on the Flood premium care plan. Purchased the 5yr/200 deductible. Did opt for the lighting plan as well, seeing how expensive and fragile the lights are, especially the tail lights. Any additional protection will help in the long run. Already have the confirmation email.

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
I added the 7/75 extended plan to the loan when I purchased my Ranger - no regerts - too much computer/electronic stuff which can go crazy Ivan on you. Planning on keeping Buckbeak for many, many years.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
However, the 6 yr/75k plan with $200 deductible is $795 for me.

Just checked and now this plan is $840, so a bit over a 5% increase.

OP
OP
apotocki

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Here I am a member
Just checked and now this plan is $840, so a bit over a 5% increase.
Yep…the plan I just bought for $745 is now $780 and it’s interesting that Flood says the new prices are good through Jan 31 2022. Either an error typing the year or there is gonna be another adjustment at the end of this month.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone get the windshield/glass coverage through Ford? I couldn't find anywhere that had pricing.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well….I have been debating and researching this topic for weeks now.
After MUCH thought I ‘think’ that I’ll be purchasing an extended warranty for my 19 from Flood before this years price increase on Jan 5.
I bought this truck in Dec 19 and only have 14k on it and figure when the factory warranty expires I’ll have less than 25k. I’m just a bit concerned with the low miles that something will surface once the factory warranty expires ( I know, it’s a crap shoot but one repair could be $$$) Haven’t had any real issues other than a Malfunction Indicator Lamp - electrical concern with number 4 fuel injector - which cleared itself. After reading through the forum I know there appears to be potential issues with some components (like hvac) and this has influenced my decision.
My plan is to keep Maggie for at least 4 more years as I have no real complaints that push me into the 6g any time soon.
Going with the 6 year/60k ($50 deductible) is $745. To me, that seems like inexpensive insurance in the event ‘something’ goes bad…..I was debating the 7 year/75k for $1285 but that jump of over $500 for another year just seems like too much.
With all the electronics and such I guess peace of mind for me is worth it….
After reading this thread, I think over paid my 110K miles from the dealer. This is my first Ford so I added the extended warranty for $2,225, the dealer said if I wanted to cancel it after 36K miles I could and pro rated after that. Maybe I could use that money for the Bronco or another Ranger.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have the glass coverage through my insurance company. I don't remember what the cost was but it's not expensive with a zero deductible. I'd rather get it through them as it covers me for rentals too which I've had to use. All I had to do was supply them with a few details and the rental agreement and they took care of everything with Budget.
Sponsored