Engine shutter.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Two Service reps from two different dealerships told me that when I complained about my stumble. Both times they preformed the TBS on the tranny. Cleared up for a while then came back, both times were under 8k miles.
All seems well now since Im past 11k miles.
If you read enough here you'll find that people are told all kinds of bullshit by dealers. As a general rule don't believe anything unless you can get it in writing from Ford.
Sponsored

gtmn

First Name
b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger xlt sport fx4, 302a
Occupation
sales
can I add to this
mine was built feb 2020 and I bought it 1 month later
what I feel is a misfire and also you can here it sounds like a sewing machine, it shutters that you can feel and hear, also I have traction light comes on and cuts power when you kick it down on the highway, not good almost killed 20 people when I could not complete a pass, I took it to the dealer and they told me it was the bigger tires and I told him to actually do some diag before just blaming the mods, so he took the tires off my truck and swapped with a new truck and still does it.
according to him, mine and 2 of the trucks on the lot do the same thing. he told me ford said that's normal, hahhahahhahhaha. I have been in shops for the last 30 years and that aint normal.
also I have a 2019 ecoboost mustang and a 2019 explorer 2.3 that are both super smooth motors, so these problem we are having are not normal. all dealer tell you they have never heard of the problem you bring to them, also if there is no light I can assume they will not look for miss fires because ford wont pay the time,

2 (2).jpg

gtmn

First Name
b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger xlt sport fx4, 302a
Occupation
sales
theres always a guy

Jsmitt0

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 package
Occupation
Security
My experience is identical to yours. Shuttering under light acceleration and braking. How is your transmission doing? A part of the shuttering for me is the transmission shifting roughly. For example when braking/coasting up to a stop light the downshifts are harsh and make the truck jolt a bit. Lightly accelerating up a hill seems to keep the transmission from downshifting, so it chugs with rpms too low then finally decides to slam into a lower gear. I have over 6k miles on it.

My main concern is taking the time to take it to a dealership only to have them say "unable to duplicate problem" even though there is a TSB for it.
Did they fix it ?

Reactions: CHS

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Did they fix it ?
Don't understand how some can start a thread like this, being an important topic, then never update us. Ask for help then leave us out in the cold.
OP, please update us.

Nyghtryder

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger w/ afterburner
Occupation
Driver
I just got the truck back from the dealer, I had shuttering on a cold start only. Ended up being a bad plug causing misfires. They replaced all the plugs and I havenā€™t had an issue yet.

** How many miles did you have on this when the plugs started to fowl out on you? I got some weird hesitation and a probable miss in ny engine too. Some say the dpfe sensor causes this and its fixed alot of em but I pulled mine and it didn't help me. I even cleaned the EGR out. Didn't help. Might be the plugs I guess. Let me know what mileage you had to change it at. Thanks

Nyghtryder

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Driver
can I add to this
mine was built feb 2020 and I bought it 1 month later
what I feel is a misfire and also you can here it sounds like a sewing machine, it shutters that you can feel and hear, also I have traction light comes on and cuts power when you kick it down on the highway, not good almost killed 20 people when I could not complete a pass, I took it to the dealer and they told me it was the bigger tires and I told him to actually do some diag before just blaming the mods, so he took the tires off my truck and swapped with a new truck and still does it.
according to him, mine and 2 of the trucks on the lot do the same thing. he told me ford said that's normal, hahhahahhahhaha. I have been in shops for the last 30 years and that aint normal.
also I have a 2019 ecoboost mustang and a 2019 explorer 2.3 that are both super smooth motors, so these problem we are having are not normal. all dealer tell you they have never heard of the problem you bring to them, also if there is no light I can assume they will not look for miss fires because ford wont pay the time,

2 (2).jpg

Mine acts like its shifted into to high of a gear when taking off and I have to kick it down a little to get it to bring the gear selection down or it stumbles like a stick shift would if you tried to take off in too high of a gear.
Some say the dpfe sensor or egr valve or tube fixes it but I checked all that with no luck. I do have 28k miles on it so maybe its a plug or something. Does anyone know how many updates have been applied to the pcms. Mines a 2020 and I jave no clue if its ever got any updates to its PCM or not.
Like most users reported if I place it in Sport mode it shifts way better. If not it stumbles and sometimes feels like a miss in the motor. Sometimes when I watch it shift down and then take back off I dont even see it go into 2nd gear. Seems to skip it all together or goes so fast it dont even register it on the screen. I've done that reset thing for the transmission and idk bout that to be honest. I dont think it does shit.

Nyghtryder

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Driver
Skipping gears is not a problem on it's own. The tranny is designed to skip gears under light loads.
I was just making this same statement in another thread. Mine skips second gear almost always. It also stumbles like its in to high of a gear when taking off as it would if it was a clutch and you had it in too high if a gear on take off.

Nyghtryder

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Driver
If I push the +/- button on the shifter stem when the truck is in D, I get the gears 1 - 10 on the right screen (Lariat). Iā€™ve noticed the trans skips some gears when building speed. Iā€™ve been trying to find the sweet smooth spot while accelerating. So far, itā€™s kinda choppy. Iā€™m super sensitive after having a bad injector which caused horrible hesitation at low speeds. I think Iā€™m feeling the transmission hunting for the right gear. I notice the shudder around gears 4,5, and 6. Anybody else feeling this?

Yep like its in too high of a gear when you accelerate if you were to have a clutch but I dont. It stumbles for a second then picks up and takes off. Does seem to be a miss there too.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
i'm curious where the misinformation about the transmission learning specific driver habits comes from.
its still runs rampant in the forum.
did the sales people get mislead during the pep rally at the sales conferences when the Ranger was making its way into the market? passing on this bogus miracle transmission brain to the new owners?
was there a misprint somewhere in the documentation?
Probably all the above! It does have a great following though, and we all know how well written our manual is.:shock: Why should sales material be any better.

I read these threads on stuttering, bucking, start off shuddering with great interest and for the intertainment value. I do not doubt that these people are feeling something and I feel for their frustrations. I also wonder at how I got so lucky with my Ranger. I have none of these issues. Full disclosure, the fan noise at cold start is a bit annoying, I do have a bit of rough idle on first start in the morning. All things to be expected until everything gets warmed up and fluids get circulating and pressures equalized. In normal driving transmission is smooth shifting, most times in drive I don't even feel it shift. In sport the shifts are more noticeable, which is expected. No gear hunting in town. I do lock out 9th and tenth while towing to keep it from down shifting on slight up grades. I have no startup or vibration issues with the driveline. Again full disclosure, my suspension is completely stock except for Bilstien rear shocks.

Maybe I "taught" my truck how to be the perfect mannered vehicle.:clap::please:āø

Seriously, I do hope you all find the solution to your issues. But, itay be different for each of you. The more complicated it gets the easier for it to break. The problem is today vehicles with all the electronic controls and sensors are a nightmare to troubleshoot and fix. The old school trick don't work and the new techs don't have any real world experience. The tech changes so fast they can't keep up. It's the price we pay for being leading edge and wanting the latest and greatest.
Sponsored