First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Push the - button and you can lock out gears too. I lock out 9 and 10 on my drive to work. I don’t know if it skips lower gears when doing this or if it adjust the shift points between 1 and 8. It seemed to smooth out some of my lower speed parts of the drive.
Empty without trailer mine never goes into 2nd ( always 1-3 shift). With the trailer (in tow mode) it goes through all the gears. The shifts are VERY smooth.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Empty without trailer mine never goes into 2nd ( always 1-3 shift). With the trailer (in tow mode) it goes through all the gears. The shifts are VERY smooth.
I've found that it will skip gears, but it won't always skip the same ones. Sometimes it does 1-2-4-6-7 other times 1-3-5-6-7. Rarely have I seen it cycle thru all the gears on the way up. You can kind of tell too - if it is just shifting one gear it is smoother - you almost can't feel it - but if it is shifting two gears, it is more noticeable - smooth shifts, but noticeable.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
If you haven't seen the tear down video of the 10 speed transmission, it is worth a watch - assuming you like looking at the internals of mechanical stuff. That transmission is a work of art. It is amazing to me. I think some rocket scientists worked on it. :)
To bad it does not drive better or shift faster, even in sport.
The VW GTI DSG transmission would make this a very fun truck to drive also with The same titanium paddle shifters.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To bad it does not drive better or shift faster, even in sport.
The VW GTI DSG transmission would make this a very fun truck to drive also with The same titanium paddle shifters.
Well, it is a truck - but they use the same transmission in some of the Mustangs - maybe they have different programming. I think it is a really nice transmission - well done - a joint effort with Ford and GM, but Ford seems to be taking advantage of the transmission more than GM does. It seems like they are putting it in just about everything now.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it is a truck - but they use the same transmission in some of the Mustangs - maybe they have different programming. I think it is a really nice transmission - well done - a joint effort with Ford and GM, but Ford seems to be taking advantage of the transmission more than GM does. It seems like they are putting it in just about everything now.
The 10 speed in the Ranger is the exact same tranny used in the F150.

Couldn't expect a better tranny to use. This is truck, not a sports car.

It is also designed to skip gears when/if needed. It is not a problem or symptom of a problem.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The 10 speed in the Ranger is the exact same tranny used in the F150.

Couldn't expect a better tranny to use. This is truck, not a sports car.

It is also designed to skip gears when/if needed. It is not a problem or symptom of a problem.
Yeah, I read the only differences were a smaller bellhousing on the Ranger b/c is uses a smaller torque converter.

Black Beauty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2010 Ford Escape XLT
Ok it’s post. Loved my 95 sc ranger and the 19 is great except a couple of issues. Mind was built Jan. 29th. I am not happy with some of the quirks from the tranny. First I live in a community so I have to drive at 25 mph for a mile. The first cold shifts through 1st to 4th feels rough. Between the shifts with a small bump feeling and the stuttering like the pavement has ripple. Then There is sometime a rough up shift when hitting say 4000 rpms. I had a15 Mustang Gt that shifted great and dove a 17 Mustang 2.3 10 speed and it shifted nice and smooth. Ready to talk to dealer again as soon as wife gets better.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Ok it’s post. Loved my 95 sc ranger and the 19 is great except a couple of issues. Mind was built Jan. 29th. I am not happy with some of the quirks from the tranny. First I live in a community so I have to drive at 25 mph for a mile. The first cold shifts through 1st to 4th feels rough. Between the shifts with a small bump feeling and the stuttering like the pavement has ripple. Then There is sometime a rough up shift when hitting say 4000 rpms. I had a15 Mustang Gt that shifted great and dove a 17 Mustang 2.3 10 speed and it shifted nice and smooth. Ready to talk to dealer again as soon as wife gets better.
Pulling my trailer home, the only way I new it shifted was by the engine sound (or looking at the rpm). Really smooth shifting under moderate load. Don't think I ever got up to 4000 rpm.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a TSB that would apply to your truck that will fix the rough shifting I believe.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
My install of the GFB DV+ helped my shutter only because I was putting my foot in it more.
MPG dropped and I still have that shutter around 1500-2000 rpm.

Reading the issues that some are having I’m convinced the TSB on the cold start rough idle or the above TSB above may help or I’ve also got a fuel injector problem.
Appointment made for the 9th and hopefully a hidden code will be found as well as a solution.

Removed the GFB and reinstalled the stock parts.

This forum is a great help,
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ice-bulletins-tsbs-for-2019-ford-ranger.1757/

upnorth479

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2013 Edge Limited, 1999 Mustang Cobra, 1969 Mustang Mach 1
My Ranger has been in the shop multiple times for a stutter, hesitation, miss during normal throttle operation. I received the truck on April 16th and the dealer has had it in shop far in excess of thirty days or five or six times. They have had the vehicle more days than me! They have tried the following "fixes" Coil packs = no change, spark plugs = no change, engine control module = no change, injectors = no change. I have registered with Ford (2) service issues on this vehicle. The dealer is at a loss as to what to do next, now FORD tech's are having them do a series of tests about cam timing and other sensors....all tests are showing no issues. I have a request into ford to REPLACE the vehicle (7/29/2019). BTW all the dealer tech's and customer service people agree that the engine has a pronounced shudder miss during normal acceleration. I"M not nuts here!
If the answer is to replace the injectors i would think they would done that. At this time the vehicle last went into the shop 7/24.....and has not been fixed. BTW dealer so far has given me a F-150, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKC, Lincoln Nautilus, Lincoln Hybid ....nice cars none of them stutter when you accelerate.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Ranger has been in the shop multiple times for a stutter, hesitation, miss during normal throttle operation. I received the truck on April 16th and the dealer has had it in shop far in excess of thirty days or five or six times. They have had the vehicle more days than me! They have tried the following "fixes" Coil packs = no change, spark plugs = no change, engine control module = no change, injectors = no change. I have registered with Ford (2) service issues on this vehicle. The dealer is at a loss as to what to do next, now FORD tech's are having them do a series of tests about cam timing and other sensors....all tests are showing no issues. I have a request into ford to REPLACE the vehicle (7/29/2019). BTW all the dealer tech's and customer service people agree that the engine has a pronounced shudder miss during normal acceleration. I"M not nuts here!
If the answer is to replace the injectors i would think they would done that. At this time the vehicle last went into the shop 7/24.....and has not been fixed. BTW dealer so far has given me a F-150, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKC, Lincoln Nautilus, Lincoln Hybid ....nice cars none of them stutter when you accelerate.
Sorry to hear that. You got your truck 2 days after mine but I've not had any issues other than the leaking passenger mirror turn signal light (which is being fixed soon).

I guess it is one of the problems getting a first year vehicle. If/when there are issues there isn't much of a knowledge base to draw from so dealers lean on Ford a lot harder it seems. Your symptoms sound like the injector issue that was reported a while back, but you said they replaced the injectors already?

Maybe pushing for a new vehicle is the best you can do at this point. That would surely be frustrating to have it in the shop so many times and for so long.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
remember this truck?

the owner had an engine stutter.

he fixed it with a chainsaw on a windy day....just sayin'

Took the insurance money and bought that jeep truck thing.

8462127E-CC12-4620-9AE2-5CEB21865F90.jpeg
Probably not a good choice in replacement vehicle.....FIAT is ruining Jeep.

Mine was a POS that i bought new and owned for less than a year. Was in the shop more than i had it.

Should have lemon lawed that months ago.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My install of the GFB DV+ helped my shutter only because I was putting my foot in it more.
MPG dropped and I still have that shutter around 1500-2000 rpm.

Reading the issues that some are having I’m convinced the TSB on the cold start rough idle or the above TSB above may help or I’ve also got a fuel injector problem.
Appointment made for the 9th and hopefully a hidden code will be found as well as a solution.

Removed the GFB and reinstalled the stock parts.

This forum is a great help,
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ice-bulletins-tsbs-for-2019-ford-ranger.1757/
Sitting in the dealers lounge and the service advisor tells me that this engine has a known characteristic that around 1500-2000 rpm that due to EPA/emissions regulations there is lean spot that is causing this miss.

There going to plug it in anyway and see if anything shows up.
Offered to let me drive another Ranger to see it has the same miss.

:(

Wait and see, they’re working on it.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
They got through with it in about an hour
Completed the TSB 19-2197, reset the tranny, it will take a few days to adapt to my driving.
Too soon to tell but it did feel better.

Wait and see, I will probably do a tuner anyway to clean it up even better.
Sponsored