Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Once number 3 was identified as the problem, how long did it take Ford to break the cycle?
It happened pretty quickly as all suppliers 3 parts were quarentained and 1 and 2 went into overtime. Dealers were required to return on head head gaskets for new stock from 1 and 2. I don't know exactly timing, but recall it was a few weeks, with overnight delivery for critical need at the dealer...very costly mistake by Ford Purchasing. Hard lesson learned.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SafetyDan

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

This sounds like a blown head gasket. how and why , I cannot imagine. Doubt we will be able to get the full story here.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired
I will be interested to see what work they document? I am very concerned about this whole debacle.

OP
OP
SafetyDan

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I will be interested to see what work they document? I am very concerned about this whole debacle.
Well truck is still at dealership, water pump replaced. Still not solution from Ford. Customer care is currently involved, they are very active and I commend the follow-up that are providing.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Well truck is still at dealership, water pump replaced. Still not solution from Ford. Customer care is currently involved, they are very active and I commend the follow-up that are providing.
Wow, Dan. I sure hope Vista can get this corrected for you.

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
How long until they just give you another truck or a complete refund?

OP
OP
SafetyDan

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How long until they just give you another truck or a complete refund?
I just received a FEDEX letter from Ford that they will be contacting me with an offer from FORD MoCo. I have the option for FORD to either repurchase or replacement my vehicle.

More to follow in 48-72 hours.

I am sorry to say that I will probably never know what was truly wrong, so I don't know if I should get a replacement or take my money and wait for 2020.

We bought the truck in May, only really drove from June 9th until July, but logged 32xx miles.

One thing I will say is I will be buying a FORD. The Ford MoCo did stand behind this vehicle, an experience I have never had before with Dodge, Toyota, or BMW.

Last edited:

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
I just received a FEDEX letter from Ford that they will be contacting me with an offer from FORD MoCo. I have the option for FORD to either repurchase or replacement my vehicle.

I am sorry to say that I will probably never know what was truly wrong, so I don't know if I should get a replacement or take my money and wait for 2020.

We bought the truck in May, only really drove from June 9th until July, but logged 32xx miles.

One thing I will say is I will be buying a FORD. The Ford MoCo did stand behind this vehicle, an experience I have never had before with Dodge, Toyota, or BMW.
That's good to hear... thanks for sharing and hopefully it was just a bad truck that is the rare situation rather than a common one... good luck on your decisions.

OP
OP
SafetyDan

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's good to hear... thanks for sharing and hopefully it was just a bad truck that is the rare situation rather than a common one... good luck on your decisions.
I am certain that this was just an engine that couldn't. Every manufacturer has to deal with stuff like this (especially on 1st year out), it is going happen. I would not worry about this becoming the norm.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am certain that this was just an engine that couldn't. Every manufacturer has to deal with stuff like this (especially on 1st year out), it is going happen. I would not worry about this becoming the norm.
Hi Dan,

How that engine got out of hot test is a mystery !

OP
OP
SafetyDan

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dan,

I do not know the testing or stuff, this has to been one of those flukes. Maybe a Monday or Friday engine.... Old timer joke. All I know is FORD MoCo is on it.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dan,

Phil, Can you give a deeper explanation on the testing? Some of us (me) do not know all the procedures. So all engines get tested not just random selection? What about trany's?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

I would get another 2019, unless you need one of the new colors.....
The chances of issues with another truck have to be damn near zero.

good luck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, Can you give a deeper explanation on the testing? Some of us (me) do not know all the procedures. So all engines get tested not just random selection? What about trany's?
Hi Tod,

Every engine after final assembly goes to a dyno bay where it is hooked up and fired up for a brief run. The process is automated and if there are problems, the screens associated with engine parameters are highlighted and a warning is broadcast. Engines that pass are loaded into the shipping racks and if there are any that failed, go to repair or teardown. They are not run long enough to catch things like Dan experienced as if I guess, Dan's engine blew a head gasket and the water and oil damaged the bottom end of the engine as well.

As for the Transmission, I am completely unfamiliar with this 10 speed unit and can not speak to it. Older units in prior years also received a dyno test to cycle them similar to the engine except the dyno for the engine absorbs power where the trans dyno provided power...

These tests are very brief and do not flush out durability issues, just assembly and infant mortality component issues'

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
SafetyDan

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would get another 2019, unless you need one of the new colors.....
The chances of issues with another truck have to be damn near zero.

good luck.
I was looking at the F150's but the Ranger is top dog for what I need and the F150s are having a lot of issues. I think will be asking for a replacement.

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE

I’m interested in the process for replacement of your vehicle. I am having a very similar experience with a Ford case and my dealership, going over 3 weeks as of today.
Sponsored

Last edited: