Embark LS / Retrax Pro XR Read This Before installation

atari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Tonneau Kit 1 finally got out of backorder and I installed the yakima rack on the retrax. I am going to mechanically fasten the cover to the rails with bolts, I will feel better knowing I have a solid connection and not a clamp ....

IMG_0252.jpg
You didn't install your locks ;)
Sponsored

First Name
Rebel Ranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew XLT Fx4 Black - Blacked Out Appearance - 301A - Tow Package - Afe Rebel Series Cat-Back Exhaust - Afe Power Quantum Pro 5R Cold Air Intake - Bully Dog Performance Tune - RetraxPRO XR with Yakima T-slot short Rack Package
Occupation
Career Fire Fighter
Vehicle Showcase
As you can see in the post above, the "best" racks for this is either of the two heavy-duty truck racks from Yakima. The overhaul has adjustable height, the OutPost doesn't, and is a little bit shorter. These are the best options looks wise, and for carrying weight limits.

Yakima also makes the bedrock, which mounts the bar just a few inches above the bed. Good if you want to mount things low, like bikes, but it has a lot less weight capacity.

There are some Thule and Rhino Rack options that will work, similar to the bedrock, but I wouldn't really recommend them. They're made for lighter duty car installations, you want something a little beefier. If you want a true truck rack and a tonneau, this is the way to go.

Source: I have the Retrax ONE XR with the OutPost (and this week a Tepui tent) on my Ranger.

... and I also work for Rack Attack. So knowing the best rack is a big part of my job :p

As for mounting something like a tent what rack are you going to use. I have the Yakima short rack for the Retraxpro and was wondering if the weight from the tent plus my wife kid and myself would be too much.

atari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
As for mounting something like a tent what rack are you going to use. I have the Yakima short rack for the Retraxpro and was wondering if the weight from the tent plus my wife kid and myself would be too much.

A standard Yakima rack without HD bars can carry a regular 3 person tent just fine. The weight limit is for dynamic weight, they can hold about 500lbs static. So if you have a 200lb tent you're going to want a bedrock or better, but a non ruggedized non hd.

If you're planning on offloading that goes out the window.

Russ Benders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Just picked up our Ranger on Monday. Came included with the cover as optioned out. Was already installed when we got the truck. The way they ran the drainage lines they did not drill through the tie down point covers. They simply opened them and ran them through those and left them open. Also does anyone know if this cover is supposed to be waterproof? We were told it was, but after driving in the rain the inside of the bed was wet.
Hey Vyroz,
I got a new Ranger with the same cover installed by the dealer and I too was told it would be “water resistant” but I continuously get huge puddles of water inside after it rains.
Was wondering if you ever found a solution or an answer about this?
At nearly $1,800 plus installation I’d think this damn thing should be better than it is.
I even took mine back to the dealer who tried to add additional foam/gaskets along the front edge as an attempt to water seal it but that didnt change a thing.

todorakiggg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 biturbo
Hey Vyroz,
I got a new Ranger with the same cover installed by the dealer and I too was told it would be “water resistant” but I continuously get huge puddles of water inside after it rains.
Was wondering if you ever found a solution or an answer about this?
At nearly $1,800 plus installation I’d think this damn thing should be better than it is.
I even took mine back to the dealer who tried to add additional foam/gaskets along the front edge as an attempt to water seal it but that didnt change a thing.
Moisture I can somehow accept, puddles no way. They have install issues and it is not about the gaskets, there is something wrong in the install. I have factory installed one and there are drainages on either side of the cover. Two on the front and two on the back.

Russ Benders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Moisture I can somehow accept, puddles no way. They have install issues and it is not about the gaskets, there is something wrong in the install. I have factory installed one and there are drainages on either side of the cover. Two on the front and two on the back.
Thanks for the sanity check. I knew this couldnt be right. The dealer is trying to convince me this is normal for this Retrax model cover, but I wasn't falling for it. They are suggesting I switch to a foldable cover, but if they are incompetent, any cover they install will have this problem. Not sure what to do, since im stuck with this dealer and I specifically wanted this retrax cover with the side rails that allow cross bars.

Bishop_pc

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Tonneau Kit 1 finally got out of backorder and I installed the yakima rack on the retrax. I am going to mechanically fasten the cover to the rails with bolts, I will feel better knowing I have a solid connection and not a clamp ....

IMG_0252.jpg
Bobkat already have the Yakima Overhaul, what adapter/mount do you have to get for the Retrax?

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Tonneau Kit 1
Adapter Kit For Select Tonneau Covers
Product Details
  • Specifically designed to fit Retrax XR series, Pace-Edwards (except 2004+ Ford F-150), and Ford Embark LS tonneau covers
  • Engineered to work seamlessly with our OverHaul HD and OutPost HD truck rack systems
  • Securely carry 300 lbs. of gear on-road and up to 180 lbs. off-road
  • Build to last, with aluminum and corrosion-resistant hardware
  • Integrated SKS (Same Key System) locks to secure your rack system to the tonneau cover

https://www.yakima.com/tonneau-kit-1

BannonJr

First Name
BANNON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Locomotive Attendant
Hey so after reading a bit of this, (sorry if it was already mentioned) it seems they have changed the part # from
VKB3Z-99501A42-E
To
Vkb3z-99501a42-Ed

I ordered mine (2100.00CAD) along with a keyless entry and the dealer will install it for 130 bucks.

BannonJr

First Name
BANNON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Locomotive Attendant
So a month later it finally came in and installed.
Happy with it but just wondering if there is supposed to be a bigger seal above the tailgate. I can stick my finger through..
20200827_164044.jpg

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Happy with it but just wondering if there is supposed to be a bigger seal above the tailgate. I can stick my finger through..
20200827_164044.jpg
Have you figured out the tailgate gap ? The instructions say, " It is important to push down on the rail while tightening ".

Did your kit come with white nylon spacers for behind the clamps ?

Did your kit come with foam filler blocks to plug the holes in the forward top corners of the bed ?

BannonJr

First Name
BANNON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Locomotive Attendant
I haven't really bothered to be honest...and Ford installed it so I dont know the rest.

Sorry I'm not much help lol

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I priced the same cover when ordering my Ranger. It was $1400 more through Ford(Canada) than I could get it for direct from ReTrax. Took 2 months to get- install took me an hour and it had all the right pieces in the boxes. I love the cover- works great, keeps rain and snow out. I’ve sealed up the box and nothing gets wet inside. Made my own custom cross-bars and Kayak mount, installed mountain bike carriers on the bars. Absolutely the best option for my active lifestyle.
A45D7D2F-20DC-4950-ABAE-69FB62D27711.jpeg

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
20200827_164044.jpg
Thanks for the sanity check. I knew this couldnt be right. The dealer is trying to convince me this is normal for this Retrax model cover, but I wasn't falling for it. They are suggesting I switch to a foldable cover, but if they are incompetent, any cover they install will have this problem. Not sure what to do, since im stuck with this dealer and I specifically wanted this retrax cover with the side rails that allow cross bars.
Did they install the drain tubes in the canister? I've seen a few of these covers with the shipping plugs still in the bottom of the canister. Problem is any water on top then just builds up in the canister and leaks out into the bed. The cover should come with 2 fittings and drain hoses, hook them into the holes on bottom of canister and then drill 2 holes in front of box for them to drain the water out. My cover is rain tight- only water entry is at the tailgate, and I have a seal on order for that.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Have you figured out the tailgate gap ? The instructions say, " It is important to push down on the rail while tightening ".

Did your kit come with white nylon spacers for behind the clamps ?

Did your kit come with foam filler blocks to plug the holes in the forward top corners of the bed ?
The tailgate seal is flimsy. I picked up some self-adhesive backed weatherstrip at a local body shop(5/8" half round) and stuck it onto the metal edge just inside of the tailgate seal on the cover. That took care of any leaks, I can pressure wash and it keeps water out now. As for the sides of the tailgate....still waiting for seal kit to arrive!
Sponsored