Embark LS / Retrax Pro XR Read This Before installation

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
I posted in the "Aftermarket Hard Tonneau" thread here, https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...eau-cover-availability.1440/page-6#post-19380 about the issue I was having with the installation of my "Embark Ls" Ford part number, VKB3Z-99501A42-E, which fits a 5' SuperCrew bed. I reached out to Advantage truck through the warranty email on the instructions and sent them pics and a video of the issue. They basically said that it is a warranty issue and to get it warrantied through the dealer. Since it was never installed, because it was impossible to install, I figured that this was going to be a waste of time for me and the dealer. I decided, with the understanding by the dealer that I was going to return it, to order another one. When I brought it home and opened the second kit not only did I find that the Canister was mis-boxed but the clamps in the SECOND kit were incorrect. I screwed with the clamps from the second kit for about 45 minutes before I decided to check the clamps from the first kit with the wrong canister. Sure enough, the clamps in the first kit were smaller than the clamps in the second kit and the smaller clamps are what was needed. So to sum it up, I had two kits, with the same part number's, and both had incorrect parts in it. I had to use parts from both kits to "build" a complete kit. The "Embark LS" is the same kit as the "Retrax Pro XR" (as shown in the pic below from the Ford's vender info screen) so I HIGHLY recommend comparing your kit with the pics below to make sure you have all the right pieces. I hope my mess of an install helps you guys out. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Same part number on both kits
qw1UYdra6U-Mb_7hIkcHkIvxT7uR_bnTqqxS7Oxl5Zcj1YtEpDLFzMIgdFpa_dDqdItBfLm0V0pUUN8sk=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Here are the two different canisters. the one on the left (clear one) is the correct one for the 5' bed.
vxWc6Z-7It-KxaGsh_QGsFFKvH10OoIC-aBa4g6zrD5kJi_4w7Nqbjd9sS-V2scJMtVTcw4EfaCk2iSNG=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Here are the two different sizes of clamps. The Ranger takes the small one. I guessing the larger one is out of an F-150/full size kit
LKxeF_Q3Xckmp0THrrBDCucVwu62QWNDLWp4NbP_X6yWv6bQkDIk-FUAy_1vnKWnkt7KbM9FZb1shbh0x=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Dimensions of CORRECT canister for the 5' bed
4h3g9PCWVOVqMgDJ1rHeOWdXk-GOY_YyZAMCTY55zrukR4-R7EgOUh0PDMiKlwqVibqpXc2XHs1seeD-G=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

KLXfTeaJMzhO7LKg3fQL9YYm9umgm5tjGqHdvvKA7CrJnAGjIFvxrQdkn9ROihdb_OirZRwxBb8rLY4J_=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Vender screen showing that Retrax is indeed the Supplier of the "Embark LS"
ApxP2Hd6fgWllRYoLvnq-80kKTmmb6AErFxzxKJsNOZEv5mIVUfnNytq0qxp-aIjGv18oVCjoDR5V5TqO=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Picture of the CORRECT canister installed in the 5' bed
b0iKoSdd0SsMBPHy-o-WyUYCi3R3cFKU_YlWtRaDKvmLzJglOMPoNG3l_1NAJGQjJfQpaZlTDFtlwyNnV=w2312-h1734-no.jpg
Sponsored

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
Just to make matters worse, when I received my kit it included the rails for the 6 foot bed. So now my dealer is working to find a set of 5 foot rails.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a supplier issue not a Ford issue. I’m glad this can be warrantied through the dealer, part of why I picked the Embark over the regular Retrax version.

Thanks for being the guinea pig though.

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted in the "Aftermarket Hard Tonneau" thread here, https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...eau-cover-availability.1440/page-6#post-19380 about the issue I was having with the installation of my "Embark Ls" Ford part number, VKB3Z-99501A42-E, which fits a 5' SuperCrew bed. I reached out to Advantage truck through the warranty email on the instructions and sent them pics and a video of the issue. They basically said that it is a warranty issue and to get it warrantied through the dealer. Since it was never installed, because it was impossible to install, I figured that this was going to be a waste of time for me and the dealer. I decided, with the understanding by the dealer that I was going to return it, to order another one. When I brought it home and opened the second kit not only did I find that the Canister was mis-boxed but the clamps in the SECOND kit were incorrect. I screwed with the clamps from the second kit for about 45 minutes before I decided to check the clamps from the first kit with the wrong canister. Sure enough, the clamps in the first kit were smaller than the clamps in the second kit and the smaller clamps are what was needed. So to sum it up, I had two kits, with the same part number's, and both had incorrect parts in it. I had to use parts from both kits to "build" a complete kit. The "Embark LS" is the same kit as the "Retrax Pro XR" (as shown in the pic below from the Ford's vender info screen) so I HIGHLY recommend comparing your kit with the pics below to make sure you have all the right pieces. I hope my mess of an install helps you guys out. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Same part number on both kits
qw1UYdra6U-Mb_7hIkcHkIvxT7uR_bnTqqxS7Oxl5Zcj1YtEpDLFzMIgdFpa_dDqdItBfLm0V0pUUN8sk=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Here are the two different canisters. the one on the left (clear one) is the correct one for the 5' bed.
vxWc6Z-7It-KxaGsh_QGsFFKvH10OoIC-aBa4g6zrD5kJi_4w7Nqbjd9sS-V2scJMtVTcw4EfaCk2iSNG=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Here are the two different sizes of clamps. The Ranger takes the small one. I guessing the larger one is out of an F-150/full size kit
LKxeF_Q3Xckmp0THrrBDCucVwu62QWNDLWp4NbP_X6yWv6bQkDIk-FUAy_1vnKWnkt7KbM9FZb1shbh0x=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Dimensions of CORRECT canister for the 5' bed
4h3g9PCWVOVqMgDJ1rHeOWdXk-GOY_YyZAMCTY55zrukR4-R7EgOUh0PDMiKlwqVibqpXc2XHs1seeD-G=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

KLXfTeaJMzhO7LKg3fQL9YYm9umgm5tjGqHdvvKA7CrJnAGjIFvxrQdkn9ROihdb_OirZRwxBb8rLY4J_=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Vender screen showing that Retrax is indeed the Supplier of the "Embark LS"
ApxP2Hd6fgWllRYoLvnq-80kKTmmb6AErFxzxKJsNOZEv5mIVUfnNytq0qxp-aIjGv18oVCjoDR5V5TqO=w2312-h1734-no.jpg

Picture of the CORRECT canister installed in the 5' bed
b0iKoSdd0SsMBPHy-o-WyUYCi3R3cFKU_YlWtRaDKvmLzJglOMPoNG3l_1NAJGQjJfQpaZlTDFtlwyNnV=w2312-h1734-no.jpg
Were your clamps in the cover box or the rail box?

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a supplier issue not a Ford issue. I’m glad this can be warrantied through the dealer, part of why I picked the Embark over the regular Retrax version.

Thanks for being the guinea pig though.
Yes, the warranty coverage, according to the instructions and the dealer, is either the bumper to bumper warranty (3/36) or two years, which ever is greater.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the warranty coverage, according to the instructions and the dealer, is either the bumper to bumper warranty (3/36) or two years, which ever is greater.
I checked, install is $75 at your dealership. I might just skip the aggravation and let them deal with it.

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to make matters worse, when I received my kit it included the rails for the 6 foot bed. So now my dealer is working to find a set of 5 foot rails.
Well, at least us folks that have jumped on this early are suffering together!

Last edited:

djg1958

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lincoln MKX
I checked, install is $75 at your dealership. I might just skip the aggravation and let them deal with it.
My salesman called me today & said my truck should be in next week! I also have a factory spray in liner too! We will see! He said he can get the Embark Ls tonneau cover" Ford part number, VKB3Z-99501A42-E, in a couple days. I will let them install it & if there is a problem then its their problem!

Thanks for all your work & information!

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer was able to find a box with the 5 foot rails. I was able to get it installed tonight and it everything went well. The clamps seemed to be correct because I didn’t have any issues installing them.

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The clamps were with the rails.
The correct rail box that I got today had the clamps in it. The reason I asked is because the first box I received didn’t have clamps in it. It had a bunch of hardware but it looked nothing like what is used on the Ranger. But the dealer got it squared away and I’m good now.