First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I took a ride in the new 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup: Here's what to expect

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/took-ride-2022-ford-f-134055526.html

Lightning Frame.jpg
This platform has a lot of potential, imagine a driverless box truck like this? Almost all cargo area, and using modern technology you could have a convoy of 3-4 of these with a manned vehicle leading the pack. Driver drops one of, maybe parking it with a remote control, picks up another, and keeps driving. It could solve the long haul driver shortage.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This platform has a lot of potential, imagine a driverless box truck like this? Almost all cargo area, and using modern technology you could have a convoy of 3-4 of these with a manned vehicle leading the pack. Driver drops one of, maybe parking it with a remote control, picks up another, and keeps driving. It could solve the long haul driver shortage.
I think when the Sprinters come out they will take off. Just think of the endless possibilities with a full EV Sprinter. They'll be great for local contractors and also those who are converting them for camping.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yup those there. I think soon enough we'll see the battery ranges get a lot longer as technology advances. Right now they're great for someone who doesn't travel far and/or has a second vehicle for long distance trips. It's a good starting point but not quite there yet.

I have solar on my house and it does 100% offset with only 14 panels. Years ago I would've needed double that to achieve this. I'm sure pretty soon (if they haven't already) there will be better ones out that produce more for half of what I have.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like Ford is going all out in their EV investment.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-30b-investment-electric-revs-231420260.html

Ford is increasing its investment in its electric vehicle future to $30 billion by 2025, up from a previous spend of $22 billion by 2023. The company announced the fresh cashflow into its EV and battery development strategy, dubbed Ford+, during an investor day on Tuesday.

The company said it expects 40% of its global vehicle volume to be fully electric by 2030. Ford sold 6,614 Mustang Mach-Es in the U.S. in Q1, and since it unveiled its F-150 Lightning last week, the company says it has already amassed 70,000 customer reservations.

The Ford+ plan reveals the new path automakers will have to take if they want to keep up with an EV future. Historically, China, Japan and Korea have owned much of the world’s battery manufacturing, but as major OEMs begin building electric cars, the demand is far outstripping supply, forcing car manufacturers to invest their own resources into development. General Motors is building a battery factory with LG in Ohio, and BMW joined Ford to invest in solid state battery startup Solid Power.

This investment “underscores our belief that production-feasible solid state batteries are within reach in this decade,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s chief product platform and operations officer, during the investor day. “Solid Power’s sulphide-based solid electrolyte and silicon-based anode chemistry delivers impressive battery improvements in performance, including increased range, lower cost, more vehicle interior space and better value and greater safety for our customers.”

The solid state battery manufacturing process doesn’t differ too much from the existing lithium ion battery process, so Ford will be able to reuse about 70% of its manufacturing lines and capital investment, according to Thai-Tang.

At Ford’s Ion Park facility, a battery R&D center Ford is building in Michigan, the automaker has brought together a team of 150 experts to research and create a game plan for the next generation of lithium ion chemistries and Ford’s new energy-dense battery technology, the Ion Boost +.

“Our ultimate goal is to deliver a holistic ecosystem including services that should allow us to achieve higher profitability over time with BEVs than we do today with ICE vehicles,” said Thai-Tang.

The Ion Boost +’s unique cell pouch format is not only ideal for powering Ford’s larger vehicles, but it could also help the company reduce battery costs 40% by mid-decade, the company says.

“The cell chemistry, coupled with Ford's proprietary battery control algorithm featuring high accuracy sensing technology, delivers higher efficiency and range for customers,” said Thai-Tang.

For commercial vehicles, Ford is working on a battery cell made with lithium ion phosphate chemistry, which it’s calling the Ion Boost Pro, which it says is cheaper and better for duty cycles that require less range.

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
Always a little skeptical of YouTube reviews that I can’t verify anywhere else, but seems like this guy got some good hands-on time with the truck. Definitely get to see some stuff in better light and angles than in Ford’s release video.

More importantly, he suggests that Ford’s milage claims are wrong. He had 367 miles of range left, with 80% charge remaining. Says that Ford’s rated milage is with 1000lbs of payload.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I was reading TFL comment section and there’s rumors circulating that the estimated distance before charging is actually almost 300 miles WITH trailer. Speculation that empty range is over 400 miles - 450 to 467. I don’t believe that, but damn If that’s true, that’s pretty impressive on Ford’s behalf.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here's a good article which explains how the new lightning will calculate distance with its Intelligent Range system.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fords-head-evs-explains-f-125200166.html

Ford's head of EVs explains how the new F-150 Lightning conquers range anxiety

Ford's Intelligent Range system creates a profile for each driver and assesses how far they can expect to travel between charges based on their driving habits. It also factors in the topography on a given route to account for any battery-draining climbs or energy-saving descents, Palmer said. Wind speed, weather conditions, and traffic are downloaded from the cloud and added to the calculation, too.

Ford introduced Intelligent Range in the Mustang Mach-E crossover, and Palmer claims he drives his Mach-E down to 20 miles before looking to charge because he's learned to trust the vehicle's estimates.

"It says what it does and it does what it says," according to Palmer.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Man I have some lightning buddies that will be crushed it doesn't have a supercharged V8. Man their trucks sound good.
I owned an '04 Lightning. The sound of that super charger spinning up gave me a tingle in my special place. Sadly I had to come around, and buy a truck I could actually use as a truck. But, it was a sad day for sure. I know how your buds will feel. I felt the same way when I first heard Ford was using the name for an electric truck.

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
I owned an '04 Lightning. The sound of that super charger spinning up gave me a tingle in my special place. Sadly I had to come around, and buy a truck I could actually use as a truck. But, it was a sad day for sure. I know how your buds will feel. I felt the same way when I first heard Ford was using the name for an electric truck.
Don’t worry, I’m sure Ford will put in fake engine noise to sound like the supercharged one. :crackup:

Considering the ‘04 Lightning had a 5.8 second 0-60 time, it’s slower than the ‘21 F-150’s twin-turbo v6. And the new Lighting is even faster, quoted in the mid 4-second times!

I get the “no replacement for displacement” mentality, but to me, the old Lightning falls into the same category of the first-gen Mustang: great when it came out, but pales compared to modern stuff. Nostalgia keeps it popular.

Ford’s always put the Lightning name on a truck that was supposed to be as fast as a bolt of lightning. The goalposts may have moved, but it seems to me like the name fits the new truck just as well as it did the old.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Always a little skeptical of YouTube reviews that I can’t verify anywhere else, but seems like this guy got some good hands-on time with the truck. Definitely get to see some stuff in better light and angles than in Ford’s release video.

More importantly, he suggests that Ford’s milage claims are wrong. He had 367 miles of range left, with 80% charge remaining. Says that Ford’s rated milage is with 1000lbs of payload.

Thanks for sharing this. The reporter did his homework and makes a convincing case for the EV 150. I am still a little wary of committing completely to EV or to something as big as a 150. Hopefully, the new Rangers will have hybrid, PHEV, or EV options that I can get comfortable with....

Reactions: Doc

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Looks like Ford is going all out in their EV investment.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-30b-investment-electric-revs-231420260.html

Ford is increasing its investment in its electric vehicle future to $30 billion by 2025, up from a previous spend of $22 billion by 2023. The company announced the fresh cashflow into its EV and battery development strategy, dubbed Ford+, during an investor day on Tuesday.

The company said it expects 40% of its global vehicle volume to be fully electric by 2030. Ford sold 6,614 Mustang Mach-Es in the U.S. in Q1, and since it unveiled its F-150 Lightning last week, the company says it has already amassed 70,000 customer reservations.

The Ford+ plan reveals the new path automakers will have to take if they want to keep up with an EV future. Historically, China, Japan and Korea have owned much of the world’s battery manufacturing, but as major OEMs begin building electric cars, the demand is far outstripping supply, forcing car manufacturers to invest their own resources into development. General Motors is building a battery factory with LG in Ohio, and BMW joined Ford to invest in solid state battery startup Solid Power.

This investment “underscores our belief that production-feasible solid state batteries are within reach in this decade,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s chief product platform and operations officer, during the investor day. “Solid Power’s sulphide-based solid electrolyte and silicon-based anode chemistry delivers impressive battery improvements in performance, including increased range, lower cost, more vehicle interior space and better value and greater safety for our customers.”

The solid state battery manufacturing process doesn’t differ too much from the existing lithium ion battery process, so Ford will be able to reuse about 70% of its manufacturing lines and capital investment, according to Thai-Tang.

At Ford’s Ion Park facility, a battery R&D center Ford is building in Michigan, the automaker has brought together a team of 150 experts to research and create a game plan for the next generation of lithium ion chemistries and Ford’s new energy-dense battery technology, the Ion Boost +.

“Our ultimate goal is to deliver a holistic ecosystem including services that should allow us to achieve higher profitability over time with BEVs than we do today with ICE vehicles,” said Thai-Tang.

The Ion Boost +’s unique cell pouch format is not only ideal for powering Ford’s larger vehicles, but it could also help the company reduce battery costs 40% by mid-decade, the company says.

“The cell chemistry, coupled with Ford's proprietary battery control algorithm featuring high accuracy sensing technology, delivers higher efficiency and range for customers,” said Thai-Tang.

For commercial vehicles, Ford is working on a battery cell made with lithium ion phosphate chemistry, which it’s calling the Ion Boost Pro, which it says is cheaper and better for duty cycles that require less range.
Ford is actually in a pretty damn good position, especially since they’ve partnered with Volkswagen globally. I think the partnership will benefit them greatly.

General Motors is also in a good seat. They have a big partnership with LG. They might even introduce the next E-Silverado with a range that surpasses Ford. Judging from their electric Hummer.

Tesla for all its shortcomings is still the front runner for me when it comes to purchasing an electric vehicle, because of their charging network and lead in battery design.

Ford’s dealer support network is way superior though. It’s going to be interesting.

I’m curious what Toyota and Honda are going to do.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ford is actually in a pretty damn good position, especially since they’ve partnered with Volkswagen globally. I think the partnership will benefit them greatly.

General Motors is also in a good seat. They have a big partnership with LG. They might even introduce the next E-Silverado with a range that surpasses Ford. Judging from their electric Hummer.

Tesla for all its shortcomings is still the front runner for me when it comes to purchasing an electric vehicle, because of their charging network and lead in battery design.

Ford’s dealer support network is way superior though. It’s going to be interesting.

I’m curious what Toyota and Honda are going to do.
I'm very interested to see what GM comes out with and their range. I think GM partnering with LG will possibly give them the edge in range. I have LG solar panels and they are great! After 6 years baking in the AZ sun they still perform like they did day 1 with no degradation. I was able to use less panels with more output than most others when I bought them.

Now the new PHEV Ranger has really peaked my interest and I cant wait to see what the next gen has in store for us. How about a Ranger Raptor 2.7 PHEV? ?

Last edited:

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm very interested to see what GM comes out with and their range. I think GM partnering with LG will possibly give them the edge in range. I have LG solar panels and they are great! After 6 years baking in the AZ sun they still perform like they did day 1 with no degradation. I was able to use less panels with more output than most others when I bought them.

Now the new PHEV Ranger has really peaked my interest and I cant wait ti see what the next gen has in store for us. How about a Ranger Raptor 2.7 PHEV? ?
I want ONE more truck before I move to a full E-vehicle. And I’ve already ? cemented my decision on the next gen Ranger. I would effing love a Ranger Raptor with the 2.7 PHEV

I honestly think the 2.7 is the best engine Ford has made to date. Guys scoff at that, but it’s proving itself.

I’m going to live with the F150 for the next year or two until the new Ranger is unveiled and is being built.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150

Now the new PHEV Ranger has really peaked my interest and I cant wait ti see what the next gen has in store for us. How about a Ranger Raptor 2.7 PHEV? ?
By the way, what part of AZ are you in? How do you like it?

I’m going over in a few weeks and it’s my first time. Want to see more of NM and AZ.

I might have to flock away from Texas eventually and escape all the city folk moving in and changing Tejas lol.

AZ has to have its fair share of Latinas for me to consider it. It already has the best gun laws in the nation.
Sponsored