4x4/FX4 Question

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Is there ANY mode of 4-wheel drive that has "torque vectoring"?

Watched a Youtube clip indicating that when in 4-wheel drive and through braking of the slipping wheel, torque will then be applied to the wheel with the most traction. The clip indicated torque vectoring was available when the truck was in Terrain Control mode (when in other than "normal" mode). I asked the question about torque vectoring to the clips originator with no response. Anyone have knowledge about this possible feature?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is there ANY mode of 4-wheel drive that has "torque vectoring"?

Watched a Youtube clip indicating that when in 4-wheel drive and through braking of the slipping wheel, torque will then be applied to the wheel with the most traction. The clip indicated torque vectoring was available when the truck was in Terrain Control mode (when in other than "normal" mode). I asked the question about torque vectoring to the clips originator with no response. Anyone have knowledge about this possible feature?
Hi Jim,

I am amazing with these non automotive types throwing out this sort of speak. Here is my take on this "originator" statement.

When off roading and you get to the point where you are hung up. If you apply the brakes to the vehicle, the spinning wheel will stop spinning and the torque is transferred to the wheel on the ground. This in many cases allows the vehicle to move forward. We taught this in the Advanced Offroad School for the engineers in the 4x4 systems engineering.. This technospeak of Torque vecteroring is self-serving for this writer is trying to sound profound...He thinks he is hot $hit on a silver platter, but in reality is just a cold turd on a paper plate... So it may be that the Terrain Control can do this, but if so...he should explain this in more simple terms. This is well known in the off road circles without telling folks this is "torque vectoring" which simply means transferring the torque to the other wheel. A locking diff torques engine torque to each wheel 50% to each wheel... Sheesh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Enginering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Thanks Phil. If one really understands how a differential applies power, using your brakes to transfer that power from the wheel that is gripping to the one that is not is understandable. Unfortunately, it's difficult (for me anyway) to modulate the brakes to stop the spinning wheel at the same time allow the vehicle to move. This would seem to be quite easy to do electronically, particularly since all vehicles today are equipped with anti-lock brakes and more recently, collision assist. The traction benefit would seem well worth the effort.

Additionally, a locking diff is very useful in certain specific conditions as long as the coefficient of friction is remembered - a slipping wheel has less traction than one approaching slip - hence, traction control reducing power in slippery conditions.

In any event, I believe "torque Vectoring" is just a marketing term for the feature and I believe Ford used it first. Don't know if it's copyrighted tho.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil. If one really understands how a differential applies power, using your brakes to transfer that power from the wheel that is gripping to the one that is not is understandable. Unfortunately, it's difficult (for me anyway) to modulate the brakes to stop the spinning wheel at the same time allow the vehicle to move. This would seem to be quite easy to do electronically, particularly since all vehicles today are equipped with anti-lock brakes and more recently, collision assist. The traction benefit would seem well worth the effort.

Additionally, a locking diff is very useful in certain specific conditions as long as the coefficient of friction is remembered - a slipping wheel has less traction than one approaching slip - hence, traction control reducing power in slippery conditions.

In any event, I believe "torque Vectoring" is just a marketing term for the feature and I believe Ford used it first. Don't know if it's copyrighted tho.
Hi Jim,

Using left foot braking to accomplish this low speed maneuver is agreeably difficult to master if you are a right foot braker like I am, but when hungup, it is easily learned to get out of the situation. There is a section of the trail down to Horse Thief Flats outside Big Bear Ca that was a challenge for most of the engineers at this school and we stood on the sidlines and coached them through this difficult section...almost all those engineers were amazed at how effective this technique can be...Of course this was in the days before electronic locking differentials existed... Using the brakes to transfer torque to the non spinning wheel seems to be counter to what you would think to do, but it works quite well. This is done at a crawl, not at any speed...Inching down the incline or inching up the incline...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi Jim,

Using left foot braking to accomplish this low speed maneuver is agreeably difficult to master if you are a right foot braker like I am, but when hungup, it is easily learned to get out of the situation. There is a section of the trail down to Horse Thief Flats outside Big Bear Ca that was a challenge for most of the engineers at this school and we stood on the sidlines and coached them through this difficult section...almost all those engineers were amazed at how effective this technique can be...Of course this was in the days before electronic locking differentials existed... Using the brakes to transfer torque to the non spinning wheel seems to be counter to what you would think to do, but it works quite well. This is done at a crawl, not at any speed...Inching down the incline or inching up the incline...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

The truck will only brake the wheel or wheels that is/are spinning faster than the others. I've thoroughly tested this in several modes including 2WD on many different surfaces (including snow/ice). It's not as good as a locking axle, but it's worlds better than left foot braking. The "magic" they call "Torque Vectoring" is indeed marketing speak for "We allow ABS to work in revers sometimes at low speeds". Left foot braking can sometimes be useful, but most cases it's not as effective if you can't relieve braking pressure on wheels that have traction and increase pressure on those that don't (like via a handbrake lever, etc)
Sponsored