First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Absolute Black Ranger
Occupation
Aviation
I have a 2021 Absolute Black Ranger. LOVE IT!

Here is the situation, it is 4x4 with about 8500 miles. My drive to work in the AM involves about one-half of a mile before the on-ramp to the freeway. The ramp up the highway is about a 2.5 degree upslope. The drive to the on-ramp has no issues. However, when I begin my acceleration to highway speeds, I hear a squeal in the back of the truck. The sound, to me, sounds like a dry-bearing soft squeal. It is only under acceleration. The symptom started about 4,000 miles and would last about ten seconds. I would never hear the sound the rest of the day.

Additionally, if I drove the truck in town, speeds no noise. Progressively the squeal has gotten longer, now up to about a mile and a half. It does not do it every day.

I called the dealer, and the dealer said until it becomes constant, they said to keep driving it.

My question to you is, has anybody had that experience?
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I have not heard anything like that with mine. 9660 miles.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Are there any after market mods on it? Items like diverter valve, exhaust etc?

If so, check and lubricate the internal o-rings in the DV. This is known to cause random whistle/squeal sounds due to the internal piston or o-rings sticking. Some after market exhausts can cause a resonance whistle/squeal when under the right conditions. If you have a stock muffler then it could be the internal baffle plate not opening correctly or carbon build up blocking causing issues.

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aviation
Are there any after market mods on it? Items like diverter valve, exhaust etc?

If so, check and lubricate the internal o-rings in the DV. This is known to cause random whistle/squeal sounds due to the internal piston or o-rings sticking. Some after market exhausts can cause a resonance whistle/squeal when under the right conditions. If you have a stock muffler then it could be the internal baffle plate not opening correctly or carbon build up blocking causing issues.
Thanks for your reply. No aftermarket changes...100% stock. Will look into your suggestions right away. Thanks for the help!!

Nollie

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2020 Subaru Impreza Sport, 1996 Porsche Carrera 4S, 1987 Toyota Pickup
Occupation
Red team analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I'm not the only one. I have a phantom squeal initially it was around 35-45mpg after a few minutes on cold mornings fairly consistently. One day I moved the steering wheel back and forth rapidly while driving and it went away. Then it showed up but at a higher mph. It's inconsistent and not as loud at this point and the Ford dealer can't replicate. Next time it happens they want me to drop in so they can hear it... perhaps when the weather turns cold again.

Last edited:

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aviation
I have a 2021 Absolute Black Ranger. LOVE IT!

Here is the situation, it is 4x4 with about 8500 miles. My drive to work in the AM involves about one-half of a mile before the on-ramp to the freeway. The ramp up the highway is about a 2.5 degree upslope. The drive to the on-ramp has no issues. However, when I begin my acceleration to highway speeds, I hear a squeal in the back of the truck. The sound, to me, sounds like a dry-bearing soft squeal. It is only under acceleration. The symptom started about 4,000 miles and would last about ten seconds. I would never hear the sound the rest of the day.

Additionally, if I drove the truck in town, speeds no noise. Progressively the squeal has gotten longer, now up to about a mile and a half. It does not do it every day.

I called the dealer, and the dealer said until it becomes constant, they said to keep driving it.

My question to you is, has anybody had that experience?

Update... Nothing was identified in the exhaust system. The squeal was seemingly getting longer duration and all times of the day. Dealer cannot duplicate. Because the sound was coming from the rear I decided to take a look around. I considered the chain attached to the spare tire because it was hanging down, theoretically in the under vehicle airflow. Additionally, the chain rattles a bit to the same tune. I bundled up the hanging chain with a couple of zip-ties so it was a firm ball of chain. So so far I have not heard the squeal since. I Will update in a couple of more weeks.

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
I've been having this issue too. I have the borla s type exhaust. It goes away if I slow down, its around 25-35 mph

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Someone here had the fiberglass packing come out of the muffler and exit the tailpipe. Just a thought.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
If it's only on acceleration, maybe, just maybe have a look at the center support bearing on the driveshaft, the rear section of the driveshaft will load upward on hard accell.

That's what I call a SWAG, scientific wild ass guess.

Good luck keep us posted

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Thanks for the update Rick. I will try to get a video of mine doing it to compare. It is very loud, I drive as conservative as I can to not get the noise. If my truck is warm it doesn't seem to want to squeal, If I punch the gas right after I start up the truck it usually always happens.

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aviation
Thanks for the update Rick. I will try to get a video of mine doing it to compare. It is very loud, I drive as conservative as I can to not get the noise. If my truck is warm it doesn't seem to want to squeal, If I punch the gas right after I start up the truck it usually always happens.
Mine is exactly the same as yours.
Sponsored