First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Thinking about changing out to duratracs on my oem 18" wheels. They check all the boxes for me for snow rated and looks. One thing that's unknown to me is the sidewall rating. It's an sl load but that doesn't seem to equate to number of plys. Does anyone know how the sidewalls are on this size of duratrac? I want better sidewall puncture resistance for light offroad rocky trails. Assuming anything is better than the stock hankooks?
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I was looking at the duratrac specs a while back. As I recall, their E load rating is 10 ply and the C rating is a 6 ply I believe. I think SL just means standard load , so it is probably weaker than the C rated. If you have the LT version of the Hankooks, they would be stronger than the SL version of the Duratrac and if you have the non-LT version it’s probably a wash. The Duratrac would be better off-road strictly from a tread design and traction perspective. It sounds like you’re looking for an LT rated tire and they may not make Duratrac in that load rating in your size. Maybe look at the KO2’s.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
If you are not carrying excessive loads, or doing extreme off-road stuff stay in P series tires, not LT. Duratrac C, D & E are all LT tires, which will be heavier and stiffer than most people want or need, with no benefit.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
If you are not carrying excessive loads, or doing extreme off-road stuff stay in P series tires, not LT. Duratrac C, D & E are all LT tires, which will be heavier and stiffer than most people want or need, with no benefit.
I agree with that, but OP is specifically concerned with puncture resistance, so LT may be appropriate.

Mcssls

SL is a 2ish ply sidewall. If it’s an xl it might be 3ish ply. Your stock hankooks are SL.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
The only Duratrac in 265/60-18 is SL, no LT option in that size.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
From what I have seen between the KO2 and the Goodyear is the Goodyear will most likely do better in the snow for deep stuff. Slick snow that lightly coats the road will be a different story and most likely neither will perform that well as they are not snow tires. Now if it was avalible in that size I would suggest the Firestone Destination XT as others on here have already said it does well in both light and heavy snow and I myself have no problems on and OffRoad!! Especially durability.. But unfortunately not available in that size
Sponsored