265/60R18 cooper discoverer AT3's as a replacement for stock hancocks.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
My local tire guy can get me a good deal on these OTD- cheaper than tire rack. I just need/want the 3 peak mountain symbol for my weekend mountain driving. i've had coopers before on a CUV and had no complaints. seems like these should get me where i want to go- i don't want or need heavier tires or larger and going to 17" wheels would be another 1k at least which i don't really see that much benefit of.

thoughts?
Sponsored

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
My local tire guy can get me a good deal on these OTD- cheaper than tire rack. I just need/want the 3 peak mountain symbol for my weekend mountain driving. i've had coopers before on a CUV and had no complaints. seems like these should get me where i want to go- i don't want or need heavier tires or larger and going to 17" wheels would be another 1k at least which i don't really see that much benefit of.

thoughts?
I did a lot of tire research when I had my F-150 and wrote the Discoverer series off pretty early in my search. I live in upstate NY so snow traction was a must and even the 3PMS branded Coopers reviewed poorly for winter traction. The other thing I noticed was a lot of reviews on Tire Rack and Cooper's own website stating that people were only getting ~20,000 miles out of them.

The only people who seem to swear by Coopers are rock crawlers who buy the STT Pro version.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine

thoughts?
Seem to have good reviews on TireRack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...20&autoModel=Ranger 4X4&autoModClar=Supercrew

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I did a lot of tire research when I had my F-150 and wrote the Discoverer series off pretty early in my search. I live in upstate NY so snow traction was a must and even the 3PMS branded Coopers reviewed poorly for winter traction. The other thing I noticed was a lot of reviews on Tire Rack and Cooper's own website stating that people were only getting ~20,000 miles out of them.

The only people who seem to swear by Coopers are rock crawlers who buy the STT Pro version.
Hmmm, most everything I have read about the AT3 4S is that they are great in snow. Maybe you looked at an older or different version?

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Yeah, all reviews seem good on these at3-4s tires. it's what my local guy can get and i wanted to beat the august 1st price increases as i will need them for the fall/winter.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Hmmm, most everything I have read about the AT3 4S is that they are great in snow. Maybe you looked at an older or different version?
You're spot on, I was shopping the LT/XLT version because the 4S didn't come in any of the sizes I was considering.

I ended up with a set of Grabber A/Tx in 275/70R18.

SegFault

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Industrial Sanitation Engineer, Cloud DevOps
Vehicle Showcase
My first mod was a set of 265/70/R17 AT3s, and they've been well worth it. We don't get a lot of snow in OK, but this last winter we got 6-8" of thick, wet, sloppy snow over the course of a day, and also got dry, powdery snow during the winter as well. The AT3s handled both types of snow without any drama, even when I pushed them (because ya gotta see what the new tires and truck can do, right?) No drama and predictable, that's really all you can ask for from a non-dedicated snow tire.

The one area they've done exceptionally well in is heavy rain with lots of water on the road, something we had a lot of during the spring. I've had them offroad a couple times, but not in any crazy mud or rock formations, but then again, the AT3s aren't the tire you'd pick for either of those. They will get you through the typical rutted trails and backwoods lake and fishing roads, which is where most of us are when we're not on pavement. For anything actually serious, you'll probably want a different, shorter wheelbase vehicle..

Lastly, on road, they're as quiet or quieter than the original Hankooks, but I only had the Hankooks on for about 500 miles, so I don't have a lot of use there for comparison. I recently went on a 2,000+ mile road trip to Taos, NM and the nearby areas, they were great on the switchbacks as well as the 75+ mph interstates.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Nice.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
You're spot on, I was shopping the LT/XLT version because the 4S didn't come in any of the sizes I was considering.

I ended up with a set of Grabber A/Tx in 275/70R18.
Do you have any rubbing/clearance issues? And are those with stock wheels and a lift?

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
My first mod was a set of 265/70/R17 AT3s, and they've been well worth it. We don't get a lot of snow in OK, but this last winter we got 6-8" of thick, wet, sloppy snow over the course of a day, and also got dry, powdery snow during the winter as well. The AT3s handled both types of snow without any drama, even when I pushed them (because ya gotta see what the new tires and truck can do, right?) No drama and predictable, that's really all you can ask for from a non-dedicated snow tire.

The one area they've done exceptionally well in is heavy rain with lots of water on the road, something we had a lot of during the spring. I've had them offroad a couple times, but not in any crazy mud or rock formations, but then again, the AT3s aren't the tire you'd pick for either of those. They will get you through the typical rutted trails and backwoods lake and fishing roads, which is where most of us are when we're not on pavement. For anything actually serious, you'll probably want a different, shorter wheelbase vehicle..

Lastly, on road, they're as quiet or quieter than the original Hankooks, but I only had the Hankooks on for about 500 miles, so I don't have a lot of use there for comparison. I recently went on a 2,000+ mile road trip to Taos, NM and the nearby areas, they were great on the switchbacks as well as the 75+ mph interstates.
So they’re awesome in rain? I live in WA…. And so rain/mud will be driven in constantly.

SegFault

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Industrial Sanitation Engineer, Cloud DevOps
Vehicle Showcase
So they’re awesome in rain? I live in WA…. And so rain/mud will be driven in constantly.
They've been absolutely great in rain. Hitting a deeper patch of water during a total downpour on the highway at 70 mph is a white knuckle exercise, but the AT3s handled it with a minor jerk of the wheel and then continued on. I was a true believer after that bit of fun. I've run Yokohama Geolandars as a street tire on my old TJ, and they were really good in the cold and wet, but the AT3s are _much_ better.

For real fun though, leave some MT Baja Claws on too long into the fall and run them through a lot of freezing slush...