Riccoman

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Hello.
I have a 2020 Ranger Lariat and just rewired my older 4 X 8 utility trailer with LED lights from Harbor Freight.
The turn signals and brake lights work fine but I can't get the running lights working. The truck/trailer lights worked fine with the old lights, so I 'm sure the truck is ok.
The trailer with the new lights work perfectly on my older Chevy pick-up.
I went to the ford service department and was told they have seen this before and sent me on my way to an auto parts store for some kind of adapter, which they have no idea what I'm talking about.
The Ranger has the factory installed tow package and BLIS in case that has something to do with it. Not sure where to go from here.
Thanks.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hello.
I have a 2020 Ranger Lariat and just rewired my older 4 X 8 utility trailer with LED lights from Harbor Freight.
The turn signals and brake lights work fine but I can't get the running lights working. The truck/trailer lights worked fine with the old lights, so I 'm sure the truck is ok.
The trailer with the new lights work perfectly on my older Chevy pick-up.
I went to the ford service department and was told they have seen this before and sent me on my way to an auto parts store for some kind of adapter, which they have no idea what I'm talking about.
The Ranger has the factory installed tow package and BLIS in case that has something to do with it. Not sure where to go from here.
Thanks.
Going to take a SWAG at this and may be way off. I'm assuming you are plugging into the flat four connector on the tow package connector in your bumper. Are you getting an indication on you dash when you plug it in that a trailer is connected? You should also get an indication tha cross-traffic and rear parking sensors are disabled.

I believe the truck senses a load on the taillight circuit to detect the trailer. Maybe the LEDs are not enough to trip the truck into sensing the trailer. Like I said just a guess.

Dalton Bourne

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
engineer
One of the most frustrating things about owning a boat is keeping trailer lights working. Wires that rust and short out, bad grounds, water leaking in and blowing out the bulbs. It seems like I have been lucky to get through a season without having to replace a set of tail lights on the trailer. I'm in my second year with these CZC trailer lights and so far no problems. No blown fuses and both lights are just as bright as when I first installed them. I even paid less for the LED than I have for the old-style lights in the past!
Sponsored

Last edited: