Droning noise when letting off gas at highway speeds

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This is still pretty persistent for me. Engine cover didn't change anything. 100% coming from the rear. I had the car on ramps, and I can hear it clear as day in the garage. Accelerate over 60 (the car does NOT like that on ramps), let off throttle, and the noise happens. It almost sounds like it's coming from the drive shaft center bearing. It's a very "electro-mechanical" sounding, almost like a servo actuating. Even being outside of the car, I still can't pin point it.
Sponsored

Sauve30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
my truck is also making that rear end sound between 65 and 55 mph when I start to coast. but if I am coasting faster than 65 miles an hour, slower than 55 miles an hour or I touch the gas pedal the noise completely goes away. From my experience the noise sounds like a pinion preload problem but I find it very odd that everybody’s new rangers are making this sound. It makes me think it is a normal sound. I have been considering taking my back to the dealership to have them check it out but I’m not sure it will be worth my time since it is not super loud and is not causing any kind of performance issues with my truck. My truck is not shuttering or vibrating at all.

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
my truck is also making that rear end sound between 65 and 55 mph when I start to coast. but if I am coasting faster than 65 miles an hour, slower than 55 miles an hour or I touch the gas pedal the noise completely goes away. From my experience the noise sounds like a pinion preload problem but I find it very odd that everybody’s new rangers are making this sound. It makes me think it is a normal sound. I have been considering taking my back to the dealership to have them check it out but I’m not sure it will be worth my time since it is not super loud and is not causing any kind of performance issues with my truck. My truck is not shuttering or vibrating at all.
Have you found any solutions to this? mine's been having same problem for the entire year Ive had it

DeepTuckDaddy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
My 2020 Lariat has less than 10k miles on it and makes this noise. This is the best answer I can find from someone who has inquired with a dealership: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/droning-noise.8454/post-206538
Thanks for the insight. Im fine with no yellow or red flags!! lol
I'm the person from the linked post. Please, if you're experiencing this same noise, take your truck in and get it looked at. I'm glad that my dealership doesn't think there's any mechanical issues, but all else being equal I'd still rather not have the noise. First of all, the service guys at my dealership could be wrong. But also, as Phil has pointed out many times, having many people report the same problem is what forces Ford to try to find a solution.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm the person from the linked post. Please, if you're experiencing this same noise, take your truck in and get it looked at. I'm glad that my dealership doesn't think there's any mechanical issues, but all else being equal I'd still rather not have the noise. First of all, the service guys at my dealership could be wrong. But also, as Phil has pointed out many times, having many people report the same problem is what forces Ford to try to find a solution.
Hi Joe,

Thanks! Yes Report to Ford, open up a formal complaint. When at Ford, I had many prototypes to drive and flush out problems. In retirement, I have only one...my 2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4. If it does not exhibit a noted condition, I am of no diagnostic help other than my previous experiences. So far, my Ranger has been a great vehicle....no real problems other than the engine/trans TSB which should not have been needed if they got it right out of the box as they should have, but I understand the constraints under which the poor Ford Engineers have to work....It is go fast and "good enough". When at Ranger, I expected and got "perfect"...or so it seemed...I still had my problems but they were minor.

Keep opening up the formal complaints with Ford Customer Care.....

Thanks again Joe for reinforcing this!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Letterkilled

First Name
Jessie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Tech
So I know this is an old thread but I've been having this same thing and I finally got it fixed and wanted to share it with you guys.

I purchased a 19 Ranger XLT FX4 with 200 miles on it. When driving the truck home I would hear a drone sound coming from the back when going 70-80mph. When I let go of the gas I would hear it for about 10 seconds. Pushing the gas would make it go away.

I also had the famous Clunk when starting and stopping from the drive shaft not being greased well enough.
Fast forwarding I took the truck in for an oil change and to have them look at the drone sound. They couldnt figure out why it was making that sound until they noticed the driveshaft was not balanced properly. They re-greased the drive shaft and balanced it. It fixed the drone sound AND clunk all in one go.

So If you're still having troubles with the drone sound at highway speeds, have the mechanics check the driveline to see if it's aligned correctly.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
So I know this is an old thread but I've been having this same thing and I finally got it fixed and wanted to share it with you guys.

I purchased a 19 Ranger XLT FX4 with 200 miles on it. When driving the truck home I would hear a drone sound coming from the back when going 70-80mph. When I let go of the gas I would hear it for about 10 seconds. Pushing the gas would make it go away.

I also had the famous Clunk when starting and stopping from the drive shaft not being greased well enough.
Fast forwarding I took the truck in for an oil change and to have them look at the drone sound. They couldnt figure out why it was making that sound until they noticed the driveshaft was not balanced properly. They re-greased the drive shaft and balanced it. It fixed the drone sound AND clunk all in one go.

So If you're still having troubles with the drone sound at highway speeds, have the mechanics check the driveline to see if it's aligned correctly.
I knew it! My 21 is perfect but my '19 had this exact issue. Knew it was the shaft...

Letterkilled

First Name
Jessie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Tech
I knew it! My 21 is perfect but my '19 had this exact issue. Knew it was the shaft...
It’s a night and day difference. The truck drives so much smoother now. I recommend doing a drive along to recreate the sound. That’s how I got them to confirm the sound was there

notsolinear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
@Letterkilled thanks for sharing that info, I'm very interested to follow up with my dealership now. I bought my '21 Lariat used and started to notice a drone from the rear peaking around 60-65 mph and changing in tone depending on loading (accelerating vs. engine braking). At my first service appointment I was told it needed a new carrier bearing but they never ordered the part (among some other issues), so I took it to a closer dealership and they claimed they couldn't identify any problem but to bring it back if the issue was still bothering me.

Jtom97

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
I was on a longer drive this past weekend on the highway and (for once) had the ratio off. I noticed that in the 70 mph + range when I let off the gas, I heard a droning sound from what sounded like behind me. The tone / sound almost sounded like when you drive over rub strips (but certainly not that loud). “mmmmmmmmm”

As soon as I put my foot back on the accelerator, the sound would go away. It would only make the noise for a couple seconds (perhaps once it gets below a certain speed?)

At first I thought it was my new tonneau cover making a weird noise in the wind, but that doesn’t make any sense (only when letting off the gas?).

It isn’t loud and you certainly wouldn’t hear it unless it was perfectly quiet in the cabin, but I’m kinda anal when it comes to noises I can’t pinpoint the source of.

Differential noise? Driveshaft vibrations? Aliens?

Thanks folks!
Did you ever get this issue solved? I am having the exact same issue on my 2020 ford ranger. I just posted about it.

Jtom97

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
I was on a longer drive this past weekend on the highway and (for once) had the ratio off. I noticed that in the 70 mph + range when I let off the gas, I heard a droning sound from what sounded like behind me. The tone / sound almost sounded like when you drive over rub strips (but certainly not that loud). “mmmmmmmmm”

As soon as I put my foot back on the accelerator, the sound would go away. It would only make the noise for a couple seconds (perhaps once it gets below a certain speed?)

At first I thought it was my new tonneau cover making a weird noise in the wind, but that doesn’t make any sense (only when letting off the gas?).

It isn’t loud and you certainly wouldn’t hear it unless it was perfectly quiet in the cabin, but I’m kinda anal when it comes to noises I can’t pinpoint the source of.

Differential noise? Driveshaft vibrations? Aliens?

Thanks folks!
Did this issue ever get solved for you? I am having the same issue

Jtom97

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Did anyone figure this out. I def have it. And it's from the front for me. Wondering if anyone knew what it is. Might need to go back to the dealership ....
Did you ever get yours figured out? I am having the same issue
Sponsored