First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Living in the NE snow becomes just another driving skill. My old Ranger lasted 23 years and was RWD, I managed with added weight. Tires matter!

With my 2020 w/4X4 it’s way nicer. More control and no wheel spin. I went and added the TM button and did the Forscan tweaks for the 4X modes. Last year tried out the snow and sand in TM and the difference was definitely noticeable. Way more control and responsiveness. It’s not something I use all the time but during NorEasters it definitely has its place.
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I use 4WD on hard pack snow and slab ice, usually with the Grass/Gravel/Snow Terrain Management mode. G/G/S changes the throttle input to be kinder gentler. It's OK on pavement; as long as the road is fairly straight, Don't turn sharp on driy pavement with 4WD engaged.* There needs to be enough slip for the axles to avoid binding, as the axles try to run at the same speed. I think the 4WD disengages ~55-60mph and reengages below that. The axle lock unlocks at 25 mph and rellocks at 20mph again.
*edit: when set.
4WD ENGAGEMENT thresholds.jpg

Last edited:

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
If this thread already exists I’m sorry I must have over looked it. Just bought a 2020 ranger and I love the truck. I live out in CO and we are starting to get snow. I live an hour from work and it mostly highway driving. I’m wondering how everyone has been handling driving in snow and ice? Are you just being careful in 2H, or are you driving on the roads in 4H? If 4H, what is the max speed I should be doing so I don’t damage the transmission? I’ve looked all over online but it seems like everywhere has a different answer. Thanks!
I also live in Colorado and only use 4 wheel drive every once in a while. I have a set of snow tires I put on the vehicle and between them and the 2x drive it is almost always fine. Occasionally, I use the 4-wheel drive and when I do I use 4 High which has worked extremely well. Just remember just ecause you can get moving with 4-wheel, it won't help you stop...snow tires do that!

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Tires, weight and skills...
I had a Dakota with 2wd, posi rear end. Studded Firestone skinny tires and weight in back. Started with overkill, a length of telephone pole by tailegate, side to side. I didn't go looking for trouble, but trouble never found me. (changed to buskets of sand after 2 years. Pole was a pain to get in, even wwith comealong lifting it)

Also, always learned vehichles limitations by driving in snow covered parking lots. Taught step daughter to drive in the snow, and while showing herhow to drive/steer with antilock brakes, I told heer to jam on brakes, hold them and steer. She was laughing having fun. I said do you know what they call that? Drifting was her response. SMH, but wasn't going to teach her drifting...
Sponsored