First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Operations agent
If this thread already exists I’m sorry I must have over looked it. Just bought a 2020 ranger and I love the truck. I live out in CO and we are starting to get snow. I live an hour from work and it mostly highway driving. I’m wondering how everyone has been handling driving in snow and ice? Are you just being careful in 2H, or are you driving on the roads in 4H? If 4H, what is the max speed I should be doing so I don’t damage the transmission? I’ve looked all over online but it seems like everywhere has a different answer. Thanks!
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
You can switch in and out of 4H as needed depending on road conditions. I have done it at hwy speeds many times. I think there might be a limit on the speed you can switch but I'm pretty sure I've done it up to 65 mph.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I do the same as Steve. 4HI when needed. Last year went down to the local tire shop......bought a couple of old truck inner-tubes. Wired one end shut..........filled em up with sand..........wired the other end shut. Have 4 of 'em. Gets too bad outside and throw those in the back for a little weight.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
If this thread already exists I’m sorry I must have over looked it. Just bought a 2020 ranger and I love the truck. I live out in CO and we are starting to get snow. I live an hour from work and it mostly highway driving. I’m wondering how everyone has been handling driving in snow and ice? Are you just being careful in 2H, or are you driving on the roads in 4H? If 4H, what is the max speed I should be doing so I don’t damage the transmission? I’ve looked all over online but it seems like everywhere has a different answer. Thanks!
2 tube sands at the end of the bed. More following distance and 4hi if it gets squirrelly. That traction control saved my ass more than once!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thankfully the Ranger will allow you to switch in and out of 4wd up to 70 MPH. How much is it really needed? Depends on the conditions. I myself am out here in Colorado and got a bunch of experience in the mountains so i know a think or two. As a suggestion maybe we can meet up and I can give you some pointers!!

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I have not driven a rear wheel drive (personal vehicle) since the 90's, and am curious how the Ranger handles in the snow as far as 2-Wheel Dr. I know I can switch to 4-HI if needed but just wanted to know should I add some sand to the bed or not and if so, how much weight should I add.
I'm thinking around 150-200 lbs. I do occasionally have to drive on unplowed roads in the winter.
I am hoping that I get a chance this winter to really check out how the truck handles and know what to expect from it. My last car I had before truck was a FWD Grand-Am, and I never had any issues with it, I knew exactly what to do and NOT to do in turns and braking and incredibly it even got me to work in over 16 inches of unplowed snow as it sat so low to the ground.

I don't want to add too much weight and have rear end swing out on me when braking but give me more traction. FYI, I do have the factory Hankook's installed, I only have 1,800 miles on truck and don't really want to put new tires on yet, waiting to see how it handles in snow

Just curious what others are using - Sand -Weight? -- or No-Sand

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I used weight years ago in 2wd Ranger and had it over the axle, worked well there.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I have not driven a rear wheel drive (personal vehicle) since the 90's, and am curious how the Ranger handles in the snow as far as 2-Wheel Dr. I know I can switch to 4-HI if needed but just wanted to know should I add some sand to the bed or not and if so, how much weight should I add.
I'm thinking around 150-200 lbs. I do occasionally have to drive on unplowed roads in the winter.
I am hoping that I get a chance this winter to really check out how the truck handles and know what to expect from it. My last car I had before truck was a FWD Grand-Am, and I never had any issues with it, I knew exactly what to do and NOT to do in turns and braking and incredibly it even got me to work in over 16 inches of unplowed snow as it sat so low to the ground.

I don't want to add too much weight and have rear end swing out on me when braking but give me more traction. FYI, I do have the factory Hankook's installed, I only have 1,800 miles on truck and don't really want to put new tires on yet, waiting to see how it handles in snow

I made up 4 sandbags. Each about 40lbs. Placed over the rear axle. Why 40lbs?......makes 'em easier to load/unload/move around.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
1 - Slow down.
2 - Slow down
3- If your doing 60 & need to go 4HI, imagine how far you end up in the ditch, slow down.

I have 4 , 70lbs bags of crushed stone over the rear wheels.

My wife drives the truck mostly so, not sure how it handles.
I never drove in a storm yet.
Wife really liked the 4x4 last yr at one point on the highway.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I drive in 2. It’s all I have - even when I lived in Alaska for 25 years. Works for me. The right tires and weight in the back.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

I have 2-3, 70lb tube sands back there when it gets bad. Honestly, having 1 back there all the time improves the ride over an empty bed.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I love rear wheel drive in the winter! And the best advice above, for me, is slow down and be attentive. Apart from that, I've used play-sand bags in the back in past trucks. This will be my first winter with a Ranger and will do the same. Three bags on each side wrapped in canvas dropcloths and ratcheted in place right at the wheel humps.

I also have my fancy Konig XG-12 chains oin case I get stuck and, when no one's around, I love to oversteer and do slow e-brake turns into the driveway. If I lose control and end up in a ditch or wrapped around a telephone pole, then it's all on me. I'm also going into winter with the stock Bridgestone Dueller HT tires. If I have an issue with them (which I highly doubt) I might go to a Nokia.

Maybe go to a big empty parking lots at different times under different conditions (ice, slush, diff snow depths) and see how it handles with different speeds, braking, cornering and with traction control on and off. And since you're 4WD, with it in 2H, 4H, and 4L (is that what it's called on the Ranger, that's how my FJ40 is).

Nothing like practice in a safe environment to become a better driver.

And be prudent. With 4WD and good tires, you're already set to be one of the safer drivers out there.
Sponsored