Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like a chastity cage for your 4wd knob. :shock::lipssealed:

I still don't know how so many hit this? Even when off road and bouncing around I've never hit mine. But maybe because my legs are shorter and my driving position is different?
Sponsored

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
I'm going to use my BS card on this. Shifting to 4H at speed ok. But low?
Shortly after I bought my Bronco sport. I accidently switched it to park while driving through town at about 30 mph.
My intention was switching the other dial to sport mode. The Bronco informed me immediately what I did. And would not change the setting until I came to a complete stop. Damn good thing too!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. Took it up to 40mph turn dial and went into 4 wheel drive. So unlike others states. It CAN be put into 4 wheel drive in drive while driving.

I think of it this way. If my wife (or someone else that is not familiar with 4 wheel drive) drove it and somehow it got moved, they would be driving around for who knows how long that way. Then come back and say that there may be something wrong with my front end because it handled weird on turns.
Yeah, we already established it can be on the fly. Up to 68, then it won't or it turns off. And nobody said 4H can't be engaged. 4L can't unless the vehicle is stopped and then shifted to neutral. Thanks for testing what we already knew though, good to know. I'm not saying it didn't happen but they were definitely under 68 and also had to feel the difference immediately. A few seconds in 4H in a straight line won't immediately destroy things. They would have to have left it that way for a while. The device works as intended and there's no reason not to buy one, but the highway speed shift of death is a bit dramatic and unlikely is all.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a chastity cage for your 4wd knob. :shock::lipssealed:

I still don't know how so many hit this? Even when off road and bouncing around I've never hit mine. But maybe because my legs are shorter and my driving position is different?
I'm 5'11 and clumsy so it's a miracle I haven't done it I guess. It's never too late though lol.
Real world problems:rolleyes:

I like being able to change to 4H on the fly at HWY speed because in ID you can come across snow quickly.
Same here. The rare times I run into needing it, I'm usually already doing 45 or better. Then I come across long stretches of deep drifts.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yeah so..... Never heard of anypne blowing up the transfer case up on the Ranger before but i will say tuat the transfer case is able to shift at speeds up to 70 MPH as long as there is very little throttle applied. How do I know? Simple, I used the transfer case plenty of times for winter driving here in the Rockies. Never had an issue of the Tranfer case non hitting hit and changing tho

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
. . .
I haven't had that happen to me, but if Ford designed the knob to first pull it up then rotate, that would eliminate accidental engagement.
I prefer the switch functionality as is, but a much firmer detent would be nice. This would provide better feedback and prevent accidental movement, especially while bouncing around offroad.

I often toggle between 2WD and 4WD offroad. Nice that it only requires a thumb nudge.

I only use 4WD where needed. In areas where 2WD would make it, but tear up the road, I use 4WD to reduce road damage.

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation ✈
I bought one because I didnt want to worry about it switching, it looks like some guarded switches in airplanes I’ve flown and I thought it looked cool. Come at me.
1659330030331.jpeg

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
Didn't say they looked bad. Just questioned the story behind them.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The 4H shift on the fly has been a thing for a long time. My 4G B4000 had it. I'd switch to 4H on the highway, with the hubs unlocked just to get the T-case working. To get the truck into 4L, I had to be stopped, in neutral, foot on brake and clutch depressed. Ford should have left the selector on the dash.