First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Let's think critically here for a second. Brakes are a HUGE safety component of a vehicle. Drilled rotors have been around since the 60's. So the question is why has the large majority of the automotive industry been ignoring this drilled/slotted rotor techonlogy for the past 6+ decades if they indeed provide a benefit over normal blank rotors and thus could provide a greater factor of safety for vehicles? Why aren't truck manufacturers incorporating these rotors into their heavy duty trucks that have 10's of thousands of pounds of towing capability if they are indeed superior?

Funny enough Ford put cross drilled rotors on their brand new "track ready" GT350R Mustang. And when a few guys actually took their "track ready" sports car to the track guess what they found out..........
IMG_2296.JPG

......... Those fancy drilled rotors on their $70K "track ready sports car...... CRACK

It was enough of an issue that Ford stopped using the cross drilled the rotors in 2019 and started shipping the 350r with regular blank faced rotors. Who would've thunk:facepalm:
Sponsored

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Let's think critically here for a second. Brakes are a HUGE safety component of a vehicle. Drilled rotors have been around since the 60's. So the question is why has the large majority of the automotive industry been ignoring this drilled/slotted rotor techonlogy for the past 6+ decades if they indeed provide a benefit over normal blank rotors and thus could provide a greater factor of safety for vehicles? Why aren't truck manufacturers incorporating these rotors into their heavy duty trucks that have 10's of thousands of pounds of towing capability if they are indeed superior?

Funny enough Ford put cross drilled rotors on their brand new "track ready" GT350R Mustang. And when a few guys actually took their "track ready" sports car to the track guess what they found out..........
IMG_2296.JPG

......... Those fancy drilled rotors on their $70K "track ready sports car...... CRACK

It was enough of an issue that Ford stopped using the cross drilled the rotors in 2019 and started shipping the 350r with regular blank faced rotors. Who would've thunk:facepalm:
The brake pads are almost gone, how many miles was on this?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Poster said 12 hours of track time 4000 street miles.
Dang thats bad ?
I guess when Ford said track ready, they ment track maintenance also. ?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Less surface area for friction, less stopping power. It is a gimmick. Not even nascar uses vented rotors on such tracks as bristol and dover. High braking tracks. They add air ducts so air can cool them. I wont lessen contact area for my brakes to creat friction thus less braking power. Ill just add brake cooler hoses for the brakes instead. While driving up and down pikes peak 10 times in a row in a day

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
My experience with drilled / slotted rotors

Never had an issue with oem drilled slotted / rotors that came with the porsche sport package or corvette z51 package. Also have never had issues with quality aftermarket 2 piece drilled slotted rotors. I've done some track days and high speed events. On high speed events the rotors would actually glow / sizzle. . .With that said did they aid in stopping power vs non slotted drilled rotors? No idea, I think the calipers, race pads, and track tires did most of the work. . .I also don't doubt that cheap, poorly manufactured drilled slotted rotors could have stress cracks due to inferior metal / manufacturing. Same goes for any cheap part. I also don't doubt ford had an issue with drilled rotors on the gt350 and instead of switching manufacturers just omitted them completely. Stuff happens, just like the 2 piece exhaust valves on ls7 corvettes breaking in half and dropping in the cylinders. . . . Imo a daily driven street vehicle will not see enough stress / heat to warp or crack a QUALITY drilled rotor. I also don't think they will be beneficial other than looks. . . .. . In conclusion to my long, drawn-out post, I will be "upgrading" my rotors to drilled and slotted in the future. I will also only be upgrading if / when a company like dba, bear, wilwood, etc. comes out with a set. I even hear good things about autozone gold rotors

OP
OP
myothercarizahearse

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Almost 20 years of using power stop brand and I have never had a crack. I think somebody is trying to justify to themself why they don't want them.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Cross drilling is for bling, as mentioned less surface area and you won't see em on a race car.
Sponsored