First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've done quite a few brake upgrades over the years. Never heard of these folks.

Also, I don't trust companies that use intentionally misleading marketing terms like "Machined in the USA."

If you want drilled, slotted, or dimpled rotors for the bling, that's one thing. And the performance benefits can always be argued both ways. But I'd steer clear of these in particular.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
An argument could be made for slotted rotors as they can help remove gas build up that can cause brake fade during repeated or heavy braking conditions. However, depending on the quality of the rotors they may also help accelerate brake pad wear.

Drilling cast iron rotors is useless for a street vehicle. You're just going to end up with cracked rotors.

"Racing brake fluid" is probably DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid. It's needed in high temperature brake applications to prevent boiling the fluid.

For almost everyone buying a Ranger (or really any vehicle), so long as you're operating within the factory limits of the vehicle, the OEM brakes are going to do just fine.

OP
OP
myothercarizahearse

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
An argument could be made for slotted rotors as they can help remove gas build up that can cause brake fade during repeated or heavy braking conditions.
I went form 80-0MPH no fade and didn't hit the car in front of me. can't say the same about the the car behind me.

My 6500# hearse has slotted up front and drums in the back with no fade downhill. every car I have owned for the last ~20 years have had them and I can tell the difference with the ranger

0717170617.jpg

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Drilled/slotted rotors are mostly a gimmick in I'd say about 95% of the applications. They were created to deal with a pad issue that largely does not exist anymore, especially in street applications. There are benefits for various sorts of slotted rotors in extreme duty racing applications with metallic high temp pad compounds, but there's little to nothing you are going to do on the street to see the benefits of slotted rotors.

Brake fade is normally a function of either your pad or brake fluid operating over it's intended heat range. Assuming your pads and fluid are in good condition you SHOULD NOT be having brake fade issues in a emergency stop scenario.

Ford is already using DOT 4 brake fluid in the ranger which is has minimum wet/dry boiling points higher than the DOT 3 in most vehicles. The main thing to keep your fluid clean and fresh. Brake fluid is probably one of the most neglected fluids in most vehicles.

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
Rather than waste money on slotted/drilled rotors, which in most scenarios that people use these trucks for (are you tracking it?) would not take advantage of them, these are the best things to improve braking:

...High quality pads and fluid
...Stainless steel braided brake lines - However I have not seen brake line upgrades yet for the Ranger. I know that they have them for the F-150, so hopefully in the near future.
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/ford99fr-15-17-f150-crown-0-3-lift-stainless-brake-lines.html

If you want them for aesthetics then go for it. I had them on my Caddy CTS and they looked pretty cool. Not so sure on a Ranger though. Would love to see some pics of anyone that has them on their Ranger. You may get some premature wear on the rotors and pads but it would depend on how you drive and how often. There is some risk to them failing, as drilling can possibly weaken the integrity, so just stick with well-known brands and you should be fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
myothercarizahearse

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unretired
An argument could be made for slotted rotors as they can help remove gas build up that can cause brake fade during repeated or heavy braking conditions. However, depending on the quality of the rotors they may also help accelerate brake pad wear.

Drilling cast iron rotors is useless for a street vehicle. You're just going to end up with cracked rotors.

"Racing brake fluid" is probably DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid. It's needed in high temperature brake applications to prevent boiling the fluid.

For almost everyone buying a Ranger (or really any vehicle), so long as you're operating within the factory limits of the vehicle, the OEM brakes are going to do just fine.
Drilled/slotted rotors are mostly a gimmick in I'd say about 95% of the applications. They were created to deal with a pad issue that largely does not exist anymore, especially in street applications. There are benefits for various sorts of slotted rotors in extreme duty racing applications with metallic high temp pad compounds, but there's little to nothing you are going to do on the street to see the benefits of slotted rotors.

Brake fade is normally a function of either your pad or brake fluid operating over it's intended heat range. Assuming your pads and fluid are in good condition you SHOULD NOT be having brake fade issues in a emergency stop scenario.

Ford is already using DOT 4 brake fluid in the ranger which is has minimum wet/dry boiling points higher than the DOT 3 in most vehicles. The main thing to keep your fluid clean and fresh. Brake fluid is probably one of the most neglected fluids in most vehicles.
so no you haven't personally purchased and used these specific products and can't offer any information on them. thanks for the help

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Goodyear
so no you haven't personally purchased and used these specific products and can't offer any information on them. thanks for the help
Unless these specific drilled/slotted rotors are somehow different, then they'll do the same as all the others. Increase pad wear, increase chances of cracking, all while offering no practical benefit to a street driven truck. But they look cool I guess.

I bought into the hype a few years ago and bought slotted rotors for my track car because they're supposed to be "better" according to the people selling them. Other than being noisier and chewing through my no so cheap track pads faster, they weren't any better than the plain blank iron rotors I'd been using.

I just don't see where you'd see a benefit from these rotors on the street. But, if you think they'll be an improvement by all means go for it.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Here is what I can offer about slotted and cross drilled rotors. They do keep rotors cooler during heavy/ hard braking. Also help shed dust easier. And have had them on all of my vehicles for the last 10 years. Doesn’t matter the brand of rotor it is the material used to make them and the thickness of the plates. That’s where it really counts. With ceramic pads and rotors of high quality materials you will get the shortest emergency stops without ruining the system. In this case heat is the enemy and displacement of it is the goal. Never had one crack in all the time I have used them. Not all ceramic pads are the same ether

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Goodyear
Here is what I can offer about slotted and cross drilled rotors. They do keep rotors cooler during heavy/ hard braking. Also help shed dust easier. And have had them on all of my vehicles for the last 10 years. Doesn’t matter the brand of rotor it is the material used to make them and the thickness of the plates. That’s where it really counts. With ceramic pads and rotors of high quality materials you will get the shortest emergency stops without ruining the system. In this case heat is the enemy and displacement of it is the goal. Never had one crack in all the time I have used them. Not all ceramic pads are the same ether
You're not going to get your rotors hot enough on the street to notice any cooling benefit from these rotors. In fact Engineering Explained demonstrated that they run hotter in street applications than blank rotors.

You're stopping distance in an emergency stop is dependent on your tires not your brakes.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Slotted rotors can help clear water from your disks in a creek or river crossing situation, drilled rotors are not favoured so much over here for off road vehicles because they can retain small stones.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
First off, you said “for instance”. Which wasn’t asking for opinions on this exact product from some random-ass website.

Second, it’s your money to waste and you seem pretty set on getting them. Just do it instead of complaining whining when you don’t get the affirmation you wanted.

OP
OP
myothercarizahearse

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unretired
so still nobody has got their hands on them to share their experience on their ranger. gotcha
Sponsored