Do you find different brands of gasoline make a difference?

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah top tier makes a big difference, and if nothing else for engine longevity is worth the price
Top Tier is only a measure of the detergents added to the gasoline to help clean the fuel system. It does not have anything to do with water content, ethanol content or crud in the gas. If anything you are diluting the gas with detergent products so a gallon of gas will produce less mpg. Likely not enough that anyone could measure but the same concept as getting less mileage because you have diluted the gas with Ethanol. Over the life of the vehicle it likely keeps the injectors and combustion chamber cleaner but in my 50+ years of driving I have never made a point of buying Top Tier gas and have never had an issue.

If you are paying 10 or 15 cents more for Top Tier it would likely be cheaper and just as effective to through a bottle of top end clear in the tank every 10k miles or so.
Sponsored

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Good to see Exxon (where I normally get 93 octane) is on the general list. When I so the search for my local though, the Exxon station doesn't show up but the Shell station across the street from it does.
I wish we could get 93 here but the highest is 91. I try to go to Costco because they're a top tier stations, have the best prices and their tanks get filled more often. I do use this additive 1-2 times a year in hopes it'll help keeping our DI engines cleaner.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/104-fuel-injector-pro/

104+ experts recommend adding entire contents of the bottle to gas tank and filling full with gas. For best results follow up with a second bottle at your next fill up. One bottle treats 21 gallons. We recommend repeating this process approximately every 7,000 miles or at every oil change.
104-fuel-injector-pro.png

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I haven't read all the replies. But I'd have to say when I drove more, I did notice different mpg from different stations. And for my 65 Chevy, it could make a difference for how it ran. And yes, same octane but different stations.
I haven't paid much to it for the last five years.
And the last two years I hardly drive at all.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I remember, living in California 5 years ago, that the Arco stations were usually the cheapest around.

What I remember as well, is in my old Subaru, and my parents old Subaru, that running fuel from Arco, the cars not only ran like crap, but mileage would drop considerably.

I think a lot of it comes from the additive packages each station adds. Arco is supposedly top tier, and cleans very well (which doesn't do jack for us being DI), but dang, saving 20 cents a gallon but having to fill up faster didn't level out very well
20 years ago (god has it been that long) the delivery driver took the truck over to the local gas station topped it off drove it 1/4 mile (it was almost empty) back to the shop only to have to get it towed back to the gas station/shop.

They had a massive amount of water enter their tanks and was pumping water not gas into peoples tanks.

The age of tanks also adds to quality issues.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
WAIT, your MY19 didn’t come with injector cleaner? ?
Unfortunately some things you just have to get aftermarket. :frown:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I normally use Sheetz gas and have no issues. Last time I got gas elsewhere was at a Get Go which is Top Tier gas while Sheetz is not. Was only one tank of 89 but it seems I got 1 mpg better on the tank. Normally I run Sheetz E15 88. I did the math with different octanes and it’s the lowest cost of operation. If I can’t get E15 I get 89.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Butt dyno bs again.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I used to be a fan of shell and BP, but with the price of gas since buying the ranger it has been Sams club special only.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Top Tier is only a measure of the detergents added to the gasoline to help clean the fuel system. It does not have anything to do with water content, ethanol content or crud in the gas. If anything you are diluting the gas with detergent products so a gallon of gas will produce less mpg. Likely not enough that anyone could measure but the same concept as getting less mileage because you have diluted the gas with Ethanol. Over the life of the vehicle it likely keeps the injectors and combustion chamber cleaner but in my 50+ years of driving I have never made a point of buying Top Tier gas and have never had an issue.

If you are paying 10 or 15 cents more for Top Tier it would likely be cheaper and just as effective to through a bottle of top end clear in the tank every 10k miles or so.
The price thing isnt an issue cause I have a costco membership so that eliminates the cost factor (they are cheaper by a lot) and with how quickly they go through gas and have to get refilled sediments and stuff isnt an issue either and frankly it isnt an issue anyways because all gas pumps have filters in them, and also as far as the additives diluting it and giving less mpg every study I have seen shows that in fact it helps mpg some as much as 10 percent because a cleaner engine runs more smoothly and efficiently. With the standards now you really don't need top tier to avoid problems as you said however just because regular gas works well and doesnt give problems doesnt mean that top tier won't perform better
Sponsored