DIY: Adding the 12V Power Outlet Option in the Bed

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
i didn't see a need for a grommet on the rug itself its no different than punching a hole in it to pass the tie down bolts thru,

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
I’d love one that’s pointed up, then you could easily mount the 12v connector under the bed rail.
So, the issue with the 90 degree angle plugs from the company I've sourced my plugs from, is that they are molded... So, I have to have them manufacture the plugs with my specs (what's connected to it) and that is $$$$ because of minimum quantity, setup fees, etc. I wish they made a screw together version for the specific connectors I choose, but they don't. They have some for other connectors in their line, but it's either not the right pin count, the power load is wrong, or something else. The big issue was finding a plug that would fit the hole, and exceed the 20Amp rating for that circuit. So, for something that's such a small run, I can't justify it right now.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
installed with a bed rug its mounted to the sheet metal and just trimmed bedrug around the outlet.
20200502_200242871_iOS.jpg

20200502_200252503_iOS.jpg
Awesome!! Do you mind if I use your photos for anyone else who wants to do the same thing? I just have a spray in liner myself so I don't have a reference for how it would work with the bed rug.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Just ordered the V1...looking forward to this install!

Dredgerie

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ranger Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
So, the issue with the 90 degree angle plugs from the company I've sourced my plugs from, is that they are molded... So, I have to have them manufacture the plugs with my specs (what's connected to it) and that is $$$$ because of minimum quantity, setup fees, etc. I wish they made a screw together version for the specific connectors I choose, but they don't. They have some for other connectors in their line, but it's either not the right pin count, the power load is wrong, or something else. The big issue was finding a plug that would fit the hole, and exceed the 20Amp rating for that circuit. So, for something that's such a small run, I can't justify it right now.
Let me know if/when things change, I’ll be the first to buy the new adapter for my unit.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's more to prevent fraying than anything else.
I'd imagine a dab of superglue around the cut edge would prevent fraying. Just do that after the cut, before the install and let it dry. lol

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I'd imagine a dab of superglue around the cut edge would prevent fraying. Just do that after the cut, before the install and let it dry. lol
Yeah I wouldn't want to superglue it to my rug as I do actually remove it for cleaning every once and awhile. :LOL:

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
maybe some iron on fabric seam tape would work. the newer bedbugs don't really withstand wear and tear and much as the older ones do like the one i had back in 2007 on a colorado. I am a disappointed in the quality of this newer model. however the plug isn't in a high wear area so i'm sure it will be okay.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my 12V adapter today....installed in a couple of minutes!...great stuff
20200507_164955.jpg
20200507_165232.jpg

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In this pic it looks like you have a swing box and trifold tonneau cover. IF so does the tonneau cover lock ok with the swing box there?
It does now that I hacked the LH handle in half you can see the deets here
Sponsored