Differential Drop spacers necessary with 2-2.5" leveling kit?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
With the posts I keep seeing on people overextending their cv half shafts just installing the lift, I'm curious if a diff drop wouldn't be good insurance. If these are spring lifts on OE length shocks, probably not needed because droop is still limited. If spacer lift in play, maybe so because droop is being added to with the spacer.
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
With what components/lift?

Also mine was not an FX4
The Tremor has a 2" lift over a regular 4x4 Ranger or a FX4. I added a 1" spacer.

I've compared heights to two Rangers on Tremor take off wheels and tires to confirm my math.

The press release about ground clearance was just that, ground clearance from taller tires.

They kept confusing the tire lift with the suspension lift and were saying 0.8" of lift. Typical media departments not communicating with engineering.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The Tremor has a 2" lift over a regular 4x4 Ranger or a FX4. I added a 1" spacer.

I've compared heights to two Rangers on Tremor take off wheels and tires to confirm my math.

The press release about ground clearance was just that, ground clearance from taller tires.

They kept confusing the tire lift with the suspension lift and were saying 0.8" of lift. Typical media departments not communicating with engineering.
And everyrhing on the Ford website also shows just 1 inch total heigh increase with the Tremor package vs non Tremor. Now with just a 1 inch spacer in the front on your truck you should be fine. I wouldnt bother with a diff drop up front since it actually makes you loose a little clearance up front.

I should add that 0.8 inches is the exact heighr increase with the tires from regular to tremor.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I towed my tractor/backhoe on my 16' trailer 50 miles the other day with no issues . Is it going to break or something ?
The fact that you get the squating dog look when you load a leveled truck. Not a good thing. It brings the front tires off the ground(releaving a lot of pressure off the front really and way more vs a truck that isnt leveled). Doing such will take away traction up front and if the truck squats enough you wont see the road. Simple as that.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This type of question will yield many different answers. The way Ford has it setup is for longevity of drivetrain. The main issue to watch with lifting is CV extension and binding. That’s for front and rear. The binding is a slow process but over time the damage gets done. After you exceed a certain angle is when problems start. It could be intermittent but still adds up in the end. Personally I’m not a fan of dropping a differential. It just opens a can o worms that can start a whole new set of potential problems. Unless you have deep pockets try to stay within the 2” range max lift using aftermarket strut/shock solutions. Beyond that add new UCA’s. My nono’s are spacers on shocks or wheels. But that’s my preferences.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Ranger tires are 265/65-17 (30.6") or 265/60-18 (30.5") and Tremor tires are 265/70-17 (31.6") which is 1.1" difference or .55" increased radius.

I'm curious where they gain the extra .25" clearance on the Tremor.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ranger tires are 265/65-17 (30.6") or 265/60-18 (30.5") and Tremor tires are 265/70-17 (31.6") which is 1.1" difference or .55" increased radius.

Non FX4 Ranhers have 255/65-17(30.1) and gives a difference of 1.5. Divide that.and you get 0.75. Round that and you get 0.8. Thay is most likely where ford has the difference

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer

We've had threads on this and the answer is, NO CLUE.

Marketing...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
After some more looking on the ford sight there is a good possibility(and i think someone already mentioned it befor) the is a little lift with the frobt struts and rear springs. How so? Well on the Ford site a regular crew Ranger 4x4 is 71.5 inches height and the Tremor is 73.2. So with a combination of the tires and suspension there is really only about 1 inch of lift from the suspension in stock form. Even with a 1 inch spacer up front(so 2 inches of lift compared to a non tremor) no diff drip is needed.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
After some more looking on the ford sight there is a good possibility(and i think someone already mentioned it befor) the is a little lift with the frobt struts and rear springs. How so? Well on the Ford site a regular crew Ranger 4x4 is 71.5 inches height and the Tremor is 73.2. So with a combination of the tires and suspension there is really only about 1 inch of lift from the suspension in stock form. Even with a 1 inch spacer up front(so 2 inches of lift compared to a non tremor) no diff drip is needed.
Again. I've measured mine versus two other Rangers.

I am 3.25" taller than a FX4 on Tremor wheels and tires.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Again. I've measured mine versus two other Rangers.

I am 3.25" taller than a FX4 on Tremor wheels and tires.
And it is possible with that 1 inch spacer that it might give a slightly higher bump than advertised. That can happen sometimes. Remember that its not just your suspension but also the tires. Your stock tires give 1 inch, the factory tremor suspension gives roughly 1 inch and the front strut spacer you added gibes roughly 1 inch. With that all said it explains why you have the truck roughly 3 inches higher(in the front at least) compared to a non Tremor Ranger.

Also with that little bit I would not bother with a diff drop as it would bring the front clearance back to where you were. Not a good thing if you ask me.
Sponsored