Difference between a FX4 or a 4x4?

NetRedding

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm ordering a new 2023 as soon as possible and want a 4x4. How much difference is there between the two? Does one ''ride'' better? This will be just a grocery-getter, no ''off-roading'' for me. I'd like to have the best ride available, with the 4x4 power,, if needed. Thanks for looking at this,,,
The FX4 should include the skid/bash plates, the electronic rear locker, fx shocks and terrain management system. I tried to verify online, but it won't allow to "build" them (supply issues).
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Yes,, but I want a 4x4,,,
Then buy the one with the features you like, knowing full well that it will be the best of its kind!
You will not mind the compromises when you discover how well this truck does the essentials!
Nobody builds better.

Doublerock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
I'm ordering a new 2023 as soon as possible and want a 4x4. How much difference is there between the two? Does one ''ride'' better? This will be just a grocery-getter, no ''off-roading'' for me. I'd like to have the best ride available, with the 4x4 power,, if needed. Thanks for looking at this,,,
My local dealer didn’t have a suitable Ranger FX4 in stock so I went with a 4X4 Lariat. I added ARB skid plates, Wildpeak AT3’s, rock sliders and the Fox 2.0 Stage 1 suspension package and the thing handles great both on, and especially off road. I took it out to Borrego Desert rock crawling and down the Diablo Drop with ease. I don’t have a locker, which the FX4 has and although I haven’t needed a locker yet, I tried to add ARB air lockers but no one in San Diego was comfortable installing them and I wasn’t willing to try either.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
im just a schmuck dave, I dont have a higher standard to uphold.

As for my off road resume, which i am sure you wont even recognize as valid, and I'm sure others will troll me for as well, I'll give you the free pass on that.
no, I dont know the Rangers offroad capabilities with the FX4 as much as I do the F150. The Ranger has only seen a few trails that were more than gravel roads, but much less than I would consider a test for the suspension. Very similiar to your goat trails posted, just the canadian version.

For 20+ years, I worked the roads, trails and fresh construction of Northern alberta and BC, sometimes into the yukon and NWT. In company trucks, rental trucks and my own trucks year round.
These roads were oilfield roads. Many well maintained. or scratched earth pathways leading into new lease sites and in early stages of construction. Ever try sketchy muskeg? how about frost heaves?
Forestry roads as well, fresh cut with a Cat for logging, or fire fighting, as well as many single lane cuts travelled infrequently over the years since their original construction. They make the goat trails look like highways to be honest. You need a radio to drive them as the logging trucks take priority.

Once I was tasked with taking a surveyors Jeep up the side of a mountain so they could drive it back later in the week. 35 miles of single lane washed out switchback trail up through the valley and over the top to the other side.
Same job months later in the early part of winter, I had a 2WD Chevy rental with tire chains and had to go everywhere the 4X4's were going

Ice Roads? ever done them? sure the ice is flat and smooth, but not the land based portions.

I apologise if you even read this, as you might feel like an idiot now.

But yes, I have experience with my FX4's, lots of it and have little to no complaints of what I put it through. Compared to everything else i drove, the FX4 was on par or better. Far from garbage.
RP, you need to calm down (at least calm down the written vitriol).

The things you post at times that conjure the “feeling of being ganged up on”, are not because people coordinate their response. It is because a lot of regulars here see what you posted as nonsense.

To make matters worse and perhaps lock peoples jaws against you is you rarely if ever admit you were wrong about something that pretty much everybody here (most pretty knowledgeable truck people) knows to be incorrect.

When you see the onslaught of opinions flow in against your assertion, you don’t back down and admit you might rethink your conclusion, but almost invariably double down with something even more outrageous like your post #60 in this thread.

Nobody expects the FX4 to be a 100+ MPH desert racer, period. You know nobody expects it, everybody who read your post know that is nonsense and yet you set your jaw out there and figuratively say, “punch me”.

RP, you have a lot to add to most conversations. Doing it in a sarcastic kind of bad boy way can be entertaining and add a fun slant to everyone’s experience. But to harbor grudges, to be rolled out repeatedly with positions pretty much everyone who has driven these trucks disagrees with, starts to single you out as someone who might benefit from professional help.

Drop the embattled RP and keep the sarcastic, funny and many times very detailed fact reteller, RP.

Peace brother.

Last edited:

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
There is nothing with-in 1,000 miles of here like those pics. Mine will be just a grocery-getter, run around about here, just piddling. With the money I'll be spending,, I want a nice ride to enjoy. Maybe I should look at the Tremor,,,,,,
If you have the coin yes. The Tremor has the best ride of any Ranger. Had there been a Tremor option in 2019 I would be rocking one.

That said 3.5k in Eibach 2.0 coilover/ extended rear shocks, 265/70/17 Cooper Wild Trek and Rocky Road sliders and I am close. But the multileaf springs in the Tremor does make a huge difference and probable my next suspension upgrade.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Overhaul what exactly?? The complete suspension?? I don't know about that,,,
Or buy a Tremor Lariat with the suspension complete and covered by factory warrantee?

OP welcome to the forum, guess you figured out people are passionate about their fx4 shocks? Just wait until you ask about tail gate dampeners.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
theres many that note no change in feel. even comparing FX4 to non FX4 theres many that cant tell the difference.
and overall, the small numbers on here VS the north american sales really skew your numbers.
how many members here vs total sales, how many members have swapped shocks? your data is lacking.
As you love to say to everyone, post the data. I'm not saying you're wrong but I've never read where someone has changed their Fx4 and said there was no change. It's been the opposite.

Now I have read where some have said they've felt little to no difference between the regular 4x4 and the Fx4. I can't comment on that as I've never driven a non Fx4.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Most who get the fx4, including myself, change out the suspension because it's very bouncy. IMO, save the $ and get the non fx4.
Agree 100%. I test drove the FX4 and the 4X4 several times before ordering the 4X4. Ride is much nicer.

OP
OP

widetrax

First Name
lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger lariat tremor... 2022 maverick lariat
Occupation
retired
Agree 100%. I test drove the FX4 and the 4X4 several times before ordering the 4X4. Ride is much nicer.
I really don't need any skid plates, a locked rear end, or much at all,,,,, it looks like a standard 4x4 or a Tremor will be fine for me. I do however want a NICE ride, as this will be one of the last vehicles I'll buy. Maybe get a standard 4x4 and some new shocks? Say Fox or Eibach?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I really don't need any skid plates, a locked rear end, or much at all,,,,, it looks like a standard 4x4 or a Tremor will be fine for me. I do however want a NICE ride, as this will be one of the last vehicles I'll buy. Maybe get a standard 4x4 and some new shocks? Say Fox or Eibach?
I got the 2021 XLT Sport 4WD with 302A and tech package. I actually like the ride it has from factory, as it's a pavement princess much like you describe yours will be. The factory suspension is way better than what I had in my 2019 2WD XLT...a twitch more stiff but not bone-jarring on pavement bumps and speed humps in all the parking lots we have here. I don't know how much closer the truck could BE to a Lariat as I've never owned one of those, but it has plenty of stuff in it I like and some that I don't even use ( or use properly probably).

Again, get what you can afford and think you'll like. Drive a couple and see/feel the differences in interior furnishings and check the ride of all of them you can...and then buy what feels good on you.

We'll be excited to see your pics and hear of your adventures.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Butt dyno is so wonderful. Accent on the FOS. PS a lot of first time truck owners and other ?types on this site.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
you know if i think spending the time to find the data is worth it, i will.
but in this case, i dont.
Ahhhh, but you want everyone else to provide YOU data or you don't believe them. This only proves you have none. Thanks and I rest my case! You can argue with yourself for now on I'm done.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
As you love to say to everyone, post the data. I'm not saying you're wrong but I've never read where someone has changed their Fx4 and said there was no change. It's been the opposite.

Now I have read where some have said they've felt little to no difference between the regular 4x4 and the Fx4. I can't comment on that as I've never driven a non Fx4.
I haven't put either on a shock dyno but I believe the FX shocks and the 4x4 shocks to be valved identically. The only benefit the FX shocks offer over the standard 4x4 are their monotube design.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I haven't put either on a shock dyno but I believe the FX shocks and the 4x4 shocks to be valved identically. The only benefit the FX shocks offer over the standard 4x4 are their monotube design.
I'm really not sure Doug as I've never had a regular 4x4 suspension. Maybe that's why those who've tested both don't feel much difference on the road?

I just don't recall anyone here saying they changed out their Fx4 to an aftermarket one and regretting it. It's always been the opposite and they (myself included) wished they did it sooner.
Sponsored