First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Wildtrack 2.0
Occupation
Landscaper
Whenever I engage 4wd on my 2021 Wildtrack 2.0 the rear diff lock also engages. The light for the diff lock does not come on. The diff lock button only switches the light on and off.
In 2wd I can switch rear diff lock on and off as normal.
I purchased it a couple of weeks ago and found this issue when reversing up a gravel drive. All good going straight but had great difficulty turning as couldn’t disengage the rear diff lock in 4wd. It’s going back to dealer this week.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

twk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 22 Ranger Lariat.
Occupation
Flight Simulator Engineer, retired.
This is normal. You'll have to switch out of 4WD to unlock diffs.

From the abuser's guide,
4H (4X4 HIGH)
Provides mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or winter conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud. This mode is not for use on dry pavement.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
This is normal. You'll have to switch out of 4WD to unlock diffs.

From the abuser's guide,
4H (4X4 HIGH)
Provides mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or winter conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud. This mode is not for use on dry pavement.
The OP is talking about the optional locker in the rear axle which locks the left and right rear tires together. The blurb from the manual is referring to the transfer case which locks the front and rear axles together. Unlike an AWD vehicle that has a center differential that allows for varying torque splits between the axles a 4x4 always splits the torque 50/50.

What the OP is experiencing is most definitely not normal.

twk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 22 Ranger Lariat.
Occupation
Flight Simulator Engineer, retired.
The OP is talking about the optional locker in the rear axle which locks the left and right rear tires together. The blurb from the manual is referring to the transfer case which locks the front and rear axles together. Unlike an AWD vehicle that has a center differential that allows for varying torque splits between the axles a 4x4 always splits the torque 50/50.

What the OP is experiencing is most definitely not normal.
Oops, you're right. I was confusing a couple of different things.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Are you sure the rear diff is locking? When turning with 4-wheel drive engaged (as you indicated) there is. a speed difference between the front and rear due to the radius of the circle you are turning. If the turn is sharp, because of this difference, there is a noticeable "binding" between the front and rear which can feel like an engaged rear diff. This is even more observable when in 4-wheel drive low when your steering approaches the left or right limit. Is it possible this is what you are sensing, not actual rear diff engagement?

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Ours and any other truck equipped with conventional four wheel drive will experience this; especially at low speeds. In low traction/low speed situations like gravel in particular. If your rear diff was locked it would have felt like the whole truck was moving sideways

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
A locked rear diff wouldn't hinder ability to turn on dirt. 4x4 being engaged would.. if it was a tight enough radius.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I was thinking the same thing perhaps the OP was mistaking the feel of the drive train binding while turning in 4WD with rear diff lock. While turning in 4WD the lightest wheel is the inside rear and since the front have a track with longer distance that binding will normally be released from the inside rear wheel with it turning faster than you are going (unless the surfaces the other 3 tires on results in one of them having less traction, in that case that wheel will not match surface speed), so that could be mistaken for a locked diff by someone that doesn't understand the 4WD system on the truck very well.

OP
OP

NzNathan

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Wildtrack 2.0
Occupation
Landscaper
Thanks for the replies.

It went into Ford dealer today. That had a look and two mechanics test drove it. They both agreed it was binding more than it should in 4wd when turning. Coming from AWD drive vehicles, I wasn't sure whether it was me or the Ranger having the issue. Good to hear it from Ford that it's not right.

It had a bit of a leak into the bed from the roller shutter. They tested this and are replacing the entire assembly under warranty. They are sending a request to Ford for further information on the 4wd binding. They suspect the transfer box has an issue. So this is going to have further investigation.

I don't think I would want to own one of these outside of the warranty period. I'm very impressed with the customer service so far from Ford New Zealand.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Also understand that a AWD will act completely different than a 4WD when turning. The reason for this is simply the fact that a AWD has a third differential in the Transfer Case. This allows a AWD to drive on the street. A 4WD needs to have the Transfer Case be selectable between 4WD and 2WD so there is no binding on the street when turning.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Thanks for the replies.

It went into Ford dealer today. That had a look and two mechanics test drove it. They both agreed it was binding more than it should in 4wd when turning. Coming from AWD drive vehicles, I wasn't sure whether it was me or the Ranger having the issue. Good to hear it from Ford that it's not right.

It had a bit of a leak into the bed from the roller shutter. They tested this and are replacing the entire assembly under warranty. They are sending a request to Ford for further information on the 4wd binding. They suspect the transfer box has an issue. So this is going to have further investigation.

I don't think I would want to own one of these outside of the warranty period. I'm very impressed with the customer service so far from Ford New Zealand.
Did the techs not have the sense to test this in 5 minutes and be done? Put truck on lift, start truck, engage 4WD, see if the rear wheels are locked, if not it's normal.
Sponsored