DeeZee damper install question

beaquel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
When I close the tailgate, the retention cable folds in half and then gets pinched in between the body panel and the DeeZee damper. How do I prevent this?

696B6DFD-1F2B-4589-ACDF-333F7C51DE62.jpeg
Sponsored

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
you came to the right place!
check out the damper mods thread. We have a solution for you.

And welcome to the club!
Hold on, I'll get you the t-shirt

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When I close the tailgate, the retention cable folds in half and then gets pinched in between the body panel and the DeeZee damper. How do I prevent this?

Welcome to the club and yes there's a mod for that! Just follow the link that my CEO @KJRR posted and it's the very first mod that will take care of this along with a whole bunch of cool mods. Here's your complimentary t shirt. ?

Edit: My CFO Terry @FoD must still be busy clamping his ham? :LOL: This is in reference to the jokes section for those who haven't seen it.

The Kool Damper Klub.jpg

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks @AzScorpion , I seem to have misplaced the shirts. I only had the old version.
Yeah the old one wasn't PC enough for some so this one is a better fit. I'll have to send you another case. ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

One of the non recommended fixes is to do one shorter cable so that the other is slack. There might be a several page thread on it and it is mind numbingly fantastical. I'll link that thread if I find it.

I think one of the real fixes was to use a Velcro strap as a cable spacer, recommended by Dave @AzScorpion.

I was just kidding with the first paragraph, but the thread is real...

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I experienced the same thing. I simply "trained" the cable to fold to the other side of the strongarm.
It took only a couple of minutes to repeatedly fold the cable to the inside as I closed it.
I did this about 8 or 10 times and it now goes that way naturally.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
I’m with Floyd on this, don’t over think it. Maybe create a training wheel for the cable to establish memory. Cut a large straw about three inches long, or perhaps a clear air tube. Slit it, put it on the cable near the top, as you close tailgate the slack won’t bow out so hopefully will train the cable inward. Just a thought.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I can’t believe how high maintenance these dang things are and folks keep installing them! Maybe there is an opportunity here for an entrepreneur to open a damper maintenance/training business.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t believe how high maintenance these dang things are and folks keep installing them! Maybe there is an opportunity here for an entrepreneur to open a damper maintenance/training business.
Or a 1 step program:
Install and over it.:whew:

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Has anyone noticed any kinks in their tailgate cable on the damper side? I've had mine on for a long time, and today noticed a kink in the cable, on the damper side, and the cable is slack. The opposite side is taut. Don't like this.
When I slowly closed the tailgate it seemed the cable was kinking at the damper shaft/cylinder area, which is about the center of the cable as seen in the pic. I'm sure there is only one way to install it, but now am wondering if the cable kinking is a design flaw or something else and happens every time you close the tailgate.

Tailgate.JPG
Sponsored