First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Sold my Mustang to a local dealer and while there I asked about their Ranger sales numbers and they weren't good. This is in the heartland of Idaho farm country where everyone needs the big trucks but he said the price point on the higher end Rangers i.e. Lariat is turning people off. I know dealers aren't always honest about things but if you're near Idaho you might be able to get a great deal with a little research and patience.
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Back in June when I first started to price a new Ranger here, none of the 3 agencies would bargain at all, claiming that the truck was brand new to the market and therefore command a higher price. Unfortunately Honolulu has just 3 Ford dealers, you being in Idaho have the luxury of pricing a vehicle in neighboring states and driving it home, no such luck in the middle of the Pacific ocean.
Would you believe one of them quoted me an out the door price on a Lariat SuperCab 4x2 that had a dealer markup eight thousand dollars above MSRP? Yes, you read that correctly $8000 dollars!
While I completely understand a dealer making a profit,I certainly was not about to be raped. Now that the 2020 Rangers will soon be upon us, I may visit that same dealer to see what kind of deal they are willing to offer on a 2019, just out of curiosity.
Thanks to another member on this forum I discovered Ford's X-Plan pricing program and intend to use it on my on order 2020 Ranger.

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
That seems to be confirmed by Ford's incentive program. In the PacNW the they're offering 1.9% 60mo (or 0% 36mo financing) but in southern Idaho (Boise) and western Montana (Missoula) they are offering 0% 60mo financing.

That said I've only seen a new Ranger once on I-90 between Snoqualmie Pass and Seattle and once around town. The Tacoma is king here, just as common as an F-150 I'd say, especially if you exclude branded work trucks.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not surprised. A 4 cyl turns off many.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Amazing that the Taco is king there, just as it is here, matter of fact Toyota is perennially the top seller in Hawaii.
The seating in the Tacoma is very uncomfortable and the V6 sorely lacks low end "grunt", yet it maintains it's sales leadership here. Granted, Toyotas are remarkably reliable and have the highest resale value of all manufacturers.
Another forum member has said he's seen 8 new Rangers on the road here, no doubt the price point and availability of just 1 drivetrain has something to do with that.
I've waited 2 1/2 years for the Ranger to be re-introduced, the 2020 I've on order will be my 6th Ford pickup, all were fine vehicles. I did, however stray from the path with a 2015 Silverado, it was OK, but GM needs to work on the body hardware components they use. I prefer door handles that don't break off in your hand after 3 years of use.
FYI , Oahu's landmass encompasses 597 square miles with a population of 1.1 million souls. Yes, it's quite congested here, but Paradise none the less.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I was driving in Salisbury NC today and went ooo, ahhh, a Ford dealer! Where's the Rangers at? Guess what....they had 5 new Tacomas on the front row. No Rangers, but had to look quick in passing.

Had to chuckle.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
They must be selling somewhere:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/ba...gladiator-are-gaining-ground-q3-sales-report/

Granted, it hasn't been the best year for auto sales, and while the others can go down, the Ranger and Gladiator have nowhere to go but up, since they started at zero. Even so, it means that the Ranger is starting to get a reasonable share of sales after less than one year. Despite rising sales, though, there's probably a lot of regional variation. The current version of the Ranger is targeted as a "lifestyle" truck for weekend warriors who mostly don't need or want diesel engines, and it may not sell as well in areas where the focus is on work trucks or towing. Of course, in life-style-truck country, it needs to compete with the Tacoma, which has had a lot of time to develop a reputation as the best lifestyle truck on the market, while the old Ranger bowed out right when that market was taking off. It will take time. There are reasons why all of us here, as well as tens of thousands of other folks picked a Ranger instead of a Tacoma. Others will eventually notice those things too, but Ford needs to stay ahead of the curve in future model years, staying ahead in tech, utility, maybe including a small turbo V6 option and (hopefully) a 6'-bed SuperCrew, because Toyota will take notice and make changes now that there is more competition.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I suspect that if you're a dealer that sees the ranger as a second rate and overpriced f150 you're going to do a crappy job of selling it. If you're a dealer that helps people find the right truck for them you'll probably do better.

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
"BuT wHy WoUlD yOu BuY a RaNgEr WhEn YoU cOuLd SpEnD mOrE fOr A gIaNt F150?"

$30k Out the door, 0%. Super Crew, 101A, Tow, Locking Diff, STX. XL. ($27.5k ish sticker)

MSRP - $31,730 (Before incentives) Ranger: https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/#/config/Config[|Ford|Ranger|2019|1|1.|101A.R4E..YZ...X73.76F.53R.99H.CAB.RWD.44U.RETAIL.XL.16E.]

MSRP - $43,230 (Before incentives)
F150: https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?gnav=vhpnav#/config/Config[|Ford|F-150|2020|1|1.|101A.W1C..YZ...SS5.168.XL6.61S.53A.CCAB.RETAIL.XL.]

F150 v Ranger.jpg

Why would anyone want to spend $12k less on the Ranger than the F150? /s

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
"BuT wHy WoUlD yOu BuY a RaNgEr WhEn YoU cOuLd SpEnD mOrE fOr A gIaNt F150?"

$30k Out the door, 0%. Super Crew, 101A, Tow, Locking Diff, STX. XL. ($27.5k ish sticker)

MSRP - $31,730 (Before incentives) Ranger: https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/#/config/Config[|Ford|Ranger|2019|1|1.|101A.R4E..YZ...X73.76F.53R.99H.CAB.RWD.44U.RETAIL.XL.16E.]

MSRP - $43,230 (Before incentives)
F150: https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?gnav=vhpnav#/config/Config[|Ford|F-150|2020|1|1.|101A.W1C..YZ...SS5.168.XL6.61S.53A.CCAB.RETAIL.XL.]

F150 v Ranger.jpg

Why would anyone want to spend $12k less on the Ranger than the F150? /s
Part of the "Rangers are basically the same price as the F-150" myth is due to availability (or rather, lack thereof) of low-option Rangers. I just checked the website for a volume Ford dealer, browsed all new trucks, sorted by price. On the first page of results (12 vehicles), there was TWO Rangers, and the rest were F-150s. On the second page, there was 1 Ranger. On the third page, there was 2 Rangers. So of the 36 cheapest trucks, the most expensive of which was just under $34k after incentives, only 5 were Rangers. Are the 31 F-150's on that list comparably equipped to the 5 Rangers? Absolutely not! But to the casual observer it can certainly appear that F-150's and Rangers similarly priced.

Similarly, if I was simply in the market for a basic truck that can do truck stuff and I didn't care about doo-dads and whistles, my cheapest option at my local Ford dealer is an F-150. It's a RWD regular cab with very few options, but nonetheless it's an F-150 that's cheaper than any of the 21 Rangers they list on their website.

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Part of the "Rangers are basically the same price as the F-150" myth is due to availability (or rather, lack thereof) of low-option Rangers. I just checked the website for a volume Ford dealer, browsed all new trucks, sorted by price. On the first page of results (12 vehicles), there was TWO Rangers, and the rest were F-150s. On the second page, there was 1 Ranger. On the third page, there was 2 Rangers. So of the 36 cheapest trucks, the most expensive of which was just under $34k after incentives, only 5 were Rangers. Are the 31 F-150's on that list comparably equipped to the 5 Rangers? Absolutely not! But to the casual observer it can certainly appear that F-150's and Rangers similarly priced.

Similarly, if I was simply in the market for a basic truck that can do truck stuff and I didn't care about doo-dads and whistles, my cheapest option at my local Ford dealer is an F-150. It's a RWD regular cab with very few options, but nonetheless it's an F-150 that's cheaper than any of the 21 Rangers they list on their website.

You're correct.

Lowest price "TRUCK" on my local - F150 base XL standard cab. Literally ONE option: $23k ($95 of options for a hitch)

Lowest Ranger: 101A, STX, Tow Package, Locking Diff, SuperCrew: $28k ($4k of Options Listed) [Does not factor in the cost of the SuperCrew $2400 option over base cab] Minor Incentives - (-$3400) off the $31.7k MSRP...

Lowest F150 XL Supercrew - 101A, STX, Locking Diff, Hitch (Not Tow Package): $32k ($7k of Options Listed) HUUUUGE Incentives ($-11k) off the $43k MSRP

OP
OP
dallas121469

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Didn't mean to start a numbers war. Lol. Just trying to pass on some information. The dealers here seem to have lots of Rangers in stock and end of year incentives are pretty good.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Sold my Mustang to a local dealer and while there I asked about their Ranger sales numbers and they weren't good. This is in the heartland of Idaho farm country where everyone needs the big trucks but he said the price point on the higher end Rangers i.e. Lariat is turning people off. I know dealers aren't always honest about things but if you're near Idaho you might be able to get a great deal with a little research and patience.

I am in the market for a new Truck in about 6 months. Sales were extremely slow around here on the Ranger but have recently picked up allot. Part is there are too many higher end trims. lots of car companies do this trying to get those that got to have a new model right away.

I think the other thing is the price too. Base model might be cheap but once you add options it is way to high. I own a Chevy Colorado mainly because I was tired of waiting for a Ranger. Any how I want to add 3 options on to the Ranger but they all come with packages that are over 1000.00 a piece and one is nearly 2000.00 dollars. Right now with rebates I can get another Colorado for around 4 thousand less with same options. The price with options is almost as much as a Tacoma if not more. I just think Ford thought demand was going to be much higher. I mean around here the 2020 Taco is sold out and they are pretty much all ordered or sold off the truck. I think once rebates get a little better the Ranger will outsell the Colorado. Personally I was going to buy Ranger now but I am now waiting for the 2020 Ranger because some of the the options I want will now be standard in the XLT. Even if the price does not drop on the Ranger that saves me almost 3000.00 right there. They are now included in the Ranger I believe because they are now standard on the Taco.

I can get a F150 with rebates right now for less than a Ranger .. To big for me but a midsized should not cost more.

I mean one thing that most reviews mention is the price of the Ranger is to high for what you get.

I think also the option of only a 4 Cylinder hurts. Pricing a 4 cyl. same as a 6 cyl does not help.

I think next year we are going to see a major price war. Several reasons one is the market will be flooded with Tacos. Toyota has a new plant in Mexico opening and Texas plant is suppose to increase truck production by around 40 percent. Also Ford should be ramping up production on the Ranger. This will be good for buyers but not sellers.

Another reason is last month Taco sales fell :
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/01/toyota-sales-drop-automaker-september-results/
They will not like that and fight back.. I can only guess it is because of the Ranger and I believe the Ranger sales jumped in Sept.

I know because I am one of these people on the fence. I do like the Ranger but then again I am a truck man and like most of them.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I think the other thing is the price too. Base model might be cheap but once you add options it is way to high. I own a Chevy Colorado mainly because I was tired of waiting for a Ranger. Any how I want to add 3 options on to the Ranger but they all come with packages that are over 1000.00 a piece and one is nearly 2000.00 dollars. Right now with rebates I can get another Colorado for around 4 thousand less with same options.
Well, I can't get a colorado with all of the features that I want, so what does it matter if they cost less? If the colorado ticks all your boxes and it's cheaper, then go ahead and buy one. :)

I can get a F150 with rebates right now for less than a Ranger .. To big for me but a midsized should not cost more.
Have you tried that strategy elsewhere? Like, if you go to buy a shirt you tell them that the M should cost less than the L? Or the size 10 shoes should cost less than the size 12 shoes? Does that usually work for you? Seriously, the cost to make the ranger probably isn't all that different from the cost to make an f150. So why should it cost significantly less? None of the other midsize trucks are on a dramatically different price structure, which suggests that the prices are all in the right ballpark. (Similarly, the $75k 150 doesn't cost $35k more to build than the $40k 150--in all of these cases the cost to build is only a part of the price.)

I think also the option of only a 4 Cylinder hurts. Pricing a 4 cyl. same as a 6 cyl does not help.
Honestly, they'd have to pay me to take the toyota 6 cylinder. Who cares if it's bigger--I only care how it performs.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Well, I can't get a colorado with all of the features that I want, so what does it matter if they cost less? If the colorado ticks all your boxes and it's cheaper, then go ahead and buy one. :)

Have you tried that strategy elsewhere? Like, if you go to buy a shirt you tell them that the M should cost less than the L? Or the size 10 shoes should cost less than the size 12 shoes? Does that usually work for you? Seriously, the cost to make the ranger probably isn't all that different from the cost to make an f150. So why should it cost significantly less? None of the other midsize trucks are on a dramatically different price structure, which suggests that the prices are all in the right ballpark. (Similarly, the $75k 150 doesn't cost $35k more to build than the $40k 150--in all of these cases the cost to build is only a part of the price.)

Honestly, they'd have to pay me to take the toyota 6 cylinder. Who cares if it's bigger--I only care how it performs.
First off I may end up buying another Colorado but right now I am leaning toward the Ranger. I may end up with a Tacoma. They are all good trucks, each is a little different.. Tacoma probably is not a option for me because we are looking at a crew cab so back seat is important. Right now I have a long bed because we bought a house and bed space was more important. Now we are about done with the house and now passenger space has become the most important. Grand kids wont fit back there much longer.

Secondly where did I say significantly less money? Fact is when I went into he dealer two weeks ago he would have sold me a F150 for around 2000.00 less same options. Sticker was higher on the F150 but rebates and dealer discount brought it down making it cheaper. There are people who will look at that and opt for the bigger truck. The sales man actually told me I can get you a F150 for less money and more options. Ford flagship is the F150 and I am guessing that is where they want to steer people.

I am just being honest. I am one of those people in the market soon and doing my research. I am just saying what still has me on the fence. I am sure you have your reasons for buying. You bought one and like that is great it is a good truck.
Sponsored

Last edited: