Dealership Sales Woes

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
First off I may end up buying another Colorado but right now I am leaning toward the Ranger. I may end up with a Tacoma. They are all good trucks, each is a little different..
I was never going to get a tacoma because I don't fit in it, and the powertrain is horrible. I don't care about resale because I want a truck I want to keep. I looked at the GM twins, liked the canyon better than the colorado, but finding one around here was more trouble than it was worth. The tech packages available from GM were meh, though they seem to be reacting to the ranger and adding more in 2020. There were some other things like the fuel filler impacting the bed which I thought were bad design, but the technology was the major factor.

Tacoma probably is not a option for me because we are looking at a crew cab so back seat is important. Right now I have a long bed because we bought a house and bed space was more important. Now we are about done with the house and now passenger space has become the most important. Grand kids wont fit back there much longer.
I didn't want a crew cab, and ford was the only company that seemed willing to sell me a truck that I wanted. This is obviously not an issue for those who already wanted a crew cab, but for those who don't a lot of the manufacturers aren't willing to give you all the options unless you take the crew cab.

Secondly where did I say significantly less money? Fact is when I went into he dealer two weeks ago he would have sold me a F150 for around 2000.00 less same options. Sticker was higher on the F150 but rebates and dealer discount brought it down making it cheaper. There are people who will look at that and opt for the bigger truck. The sales man actually told me I can get you a F150 for less money and more options. Ford flagship is the F150 and I am guessing that is where they want to steer people.
Who cares how much more or less money it is? If it were $1 less then honor would be satisfied? If you want a bigger truck, get the bigger truck. If you can get it cheaper, more power to you. If you simply do not want the bigger truck, it doesn't matter how much the wrong truck costs. For sure if you're willing to wait it'll be possible to get better deals on the ranger. Ford is still making 2019s. They started making mostly high trims, and I'd bet that they'll end production with a lot of lower trims/work trucks. They'll see how that affects sales, and they'll start introducing bigger discounts when they need to clear inventory for the 2020s (like Jan/Feb next year). At that time it'll probably be a lot easier to find a ranger for $10k less than an f150. Ford corporate is moving slow to see how much profit they can take on a ranger--they already know exactly how much it take takes to move an f150. I was willing to pay extra to get almost a year of use out of my 2019, but that's the kind of thing that's just dependent on personal circumstances.
Sponsored

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I was never going to get a tacoma because I don't fit in it, and the powertrain is horrible. I don't care about resale because I want a truck I want to keep. I looked at the GM twins, liked the canyon better than the colorado, but finding one around here was more trouble than it was worth. The tech packages available from GM were meh, though they seem to be reacting to the ranger and adding more in 2020. There were some other things like the fuel filler impacting the bed which I thought were bad design, but the technology was the major factor.

I didn't want a crew cab, and ford was the only company that seemed willing to sell me a truck that I wanted. This is obviously not an issue for those who already wanted a crew cab, but for those who don't a lot of the manufacturers aren't willing to give you all the options unless you take the crew cab.

Who cares how much more or less money it is? If it were $1 less then honor would be satisfied? If you want a bigger truck, get the bigger truck. If you can get it cheaper, more power to you. If you simply do not want the bigger truck, it doesn't matter how much the wrong truck costs. For sure if you're willing to wait it'll be possible to get better deals on the ranger. Ford is still making 2019s. They started making mostly high trims, and I'd bet that they'll end production with a lot of lower trims/work trucks. They'll see how that affects sales, and they'll start introducing bigger discounts when they need to clear inventory for the 2020s (like Jan/Feb next year). At that time it'll probably be a lot easier to find a ranger for $10k less than an f150. Ford corporate is moving slow to see how much profit they can take on a ranger--they already know exactly how much it take takes to move an f150. I was willing to pay extra to get almost a year of use out of my 2019, but that's the kind of thing that's just dependent on personal circumstances.
I am not here to debate what truck is better I am just replying to the op on why I think sales were slow.

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The whole debate or complaint about the Ranger being a 4 cylinder is a moot point to me. The torque and horsepower ratings are up there with and actually surpass most of the 6 cylinder midsize trucks out there. If I need the power it is there. Mash the pedal getting on the freeway no problem. This truck has all I need power and comfortwise. Yeah the biggest bed you can get is 5.5 feet, need more then the F150 is what you need. A lot of people just want to bitch. If someone is worried about the lack of power from the Ranger then it is obvious they haven't driven one.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The whole debate or complaint about the Ranger being a 4 cylinder is a moot point to me. The torque and horsepower ratings are up there with and actually surpass most of the 6 cylinder midsize trucks out there. If I need the power it is there. Mash the pedal getting on the freeway no problem. This truck has all I need power and comfortwise. Yeah the biggest bed you can get is 5.5 feet, need more then the F150 is what you need. A lot of people just want to bitch. If someone is worried about the lack of power from the Ranger then it is obvious they haven't driven one.
Yes, we both know that but buyers see 4 cyl and are turned off.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the biggest bed you can get is 5.5 feet, need more then the F150 is what you need.
Small ranger is 5 feet, small f150 is 5.5 feet. Large ranger is 6 feet, large f150 is 6.5 feet. Supersize f150 is 8 feet.

That's right, my ranger's bed is 6 inches longer than most f150's, but the truck is shorter. :)

Rangeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
I'll throw in my experience at Future Ford of Concord, CA. (In the San Francisco Bay Area) for my first post. I swung by the dealer on Labor Day weekend when coming back from Home Depot with my 2003 Tacoma (100k). I've been following the Ranger for over a year, but up until I went to the dealer I'd only seen ONE Ranger on the road since they came out (Beautiful Blue Lariat). Anyway, I was looking for an absolute basic XL to replace my Tacoma. I wasn't planning on buying one that day, but when I tried to leave they literally ran after me with an offer $2,500 less than their previous "best" offer... plus 0% financing. I got it for $22,995 before taxes and I'm happy as hell with it. :like:

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Yes, we both know that but buyers see 4 cyl and are turned off.

And that is my point exactly. People are acting like I am the one saying it and are saying stuff about the Colorado. If I believed it why would I be here or looking at buying a Ranger? My only point is the Colorado has almost 4000 in rebates making it less than the Ranger with the same options and that will play into some peoples mind. Not everyone has a ton of money and some will buy a lower priced truck. People still buy the Nissan Frontier.

Base price the Ranger is not bad but I do think with options right now the Ranger is overpriced. . A base xlt isn't bad but when I throw the options I want like heated seats, power seats, sync 3, FX4, magnetic rims the price is insane.
Next year the sync 3 and dual climate control will be standard so that should help allot.. I really think price is really holding it back .. If Ford ads another 1000.00 rebate the Ranger will fly off the lot and become #2

I am just stating Why I think sales were slow. Even when we bought our HRV after launch it was impossible to get without ordering or they were sold right off the truck for a long time. I had to pick a color I did not really want. It is weird that the Ranger was not selling well. My dealer said the same thing. I think the sales have picked up allot the last few weeks and one dealer around here has only has three on the lot. So I think sales are starting to pick up.

Personally I decided to wait because of what I said before, I think there is going to be a price war next year. But until then I want to research as much as I can on the Ranger and see what others are doing to their truck. Mod community is what i like.

I am researching trucks to buy right now and all three are a option. I love trucks and doing stuff to them. I am not a fanboy of any truck or brand even though I do prefer Fords. I wont buy a Ford just to buy a Ford either. We have owned pretty much every brand out there. I buy what is best for me.

I think the big 3 right now are all great midsized trucks and each is different in its own way and people should be proud of what they own.. I just want to figure out what is best for me. I think it is great we have choices. We all like different things. People should not get defensive If I say something I do not like about a Ranger it is my opinion. You may not think it is a big deal but I might or someone else might. There is allot to like about the Ranger but it is not perfect either.

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I am just stating Why I think sales were slow.
I think the slow sales are simply a reflection of the realities of trying to build up dealer stock on a new model, especially given the fairly limited production of that model. Sales have increased every quarter so far, with the monthly average approaching 9k. Maybe somebody with more knowledge of production can chime in, but I don't think they can produce many more trucks than that unless they add a shift. Incentives have been increasing, but Ford has no reason to further increase them unless they feel like that's the only way to move stock.
Personally I decided to wait because of what I said before, I think there is going to be a price war next year.
I hope so! It seems a reasonable expectation given how many competitors are in the segment now, and facing a market where new vehicle sales are generally decreasing.
I think the big 3 right now are all great midsized trucks and each is different in its own way and people should be proud of what they own.. I just want to figure out what is best for me. I think it great we have choices.
+1

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Speak of the devil, spotted my third ever ranger today on the way to work! White XL work truck.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Speak of the devil, spotted my third ever ranger today on the way to work! White XL work truck.
That's uncanny! I was also going to post that I just saw the first new Ranger today that I've seen that was being used as a full-on work truck, with ladder racks, toolboxes and everything, but you beat me to it!! It was even white too. Obviously some people do want a mid-size work truck, it's just not the main target market and dealers don't stock many.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I am just stating Why I think sales were slow. Even when we bought our HRV after launch it was impossible to get without ordering or they were sold right off the truck for a long time. I had to pick a color I did not really want. It is weird that the Ranger was not selling well.
Honda always seems to do the best job of matching production with demand. We've had several (two CRVs and an Insight) and have never been able to get more than a minimal discount, even right during a major model year change on one of them, and even on the Insight, which wasn't a horribly popular model. They probably do this better than any other manufacturer.

Personally I decided to wait because of what I said before, I think there is going to be a price war next year.
There's probably a good chance of that given the slightly softening economy and the fact that by next year, the Ranger will have had much more exposure, as will the Gladiator, though IMHO the Gladiator is really a slightly different market. Us early adopters might regret not waiting, but probably not too much ;)

I think the big 3 right now are all great midsized trucks and each is different in its own way and people should be proud of what they own.. I just want to figure out what is best for me. I think it is great we have choices. We all like different things. People should not get defensive If I say something I do not like about a Ranger it is my opinion. You may not think it is a big deal but I might or someone else might. There is allot to like about the Ranger but it is not perfect either.
Definitely. We looked at and test drove all of them except the Gladiator, and while the Ranger had a few disadvantages, it came out ahead on some things that were important to us like advanced tech, driveline refinement, and even ride, which is very subjective if you've read the threads about the "Ranger Bounce".

I really hope people start getting over the 4-cylinder thing. I think they'll have to at some point, as other manufacturers are also starting to get on the turbocharged-small-displacement bandwagon to help meet fuel economy requirements. It's pretty subjective, but to me, this engine/transmission combo feels much more agile than the other v6 competitors. Once the turbo kicks in, the torque and power are in a much better RPM range for a truck. If you occasionally need a little more power for things like passing while towing, you can always add a 5-Star tuning. The $600 for that is probably considerably less than the 2.7L V6 option will cost when Ford is finally forced to offer that for marketing reasons. One gap they probably should fill, however, is a long-bed SuperCrew. We might have gone for that if it were available, though the SuperCab has worked out fine since we seldom carry back-seat passengers.

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
That's uncanny! I was also going to post that I just saw the first new Ranger today that I've seen that was being used as a full-on work truck, with ladder racks, toolboxes and everything, but you beat me to it!! It was even white too. Obviously some people do want a mid-size work truck, it's just not the main target market and dealers don't stock many.
Around here excluding road construction vehicles, midsize trucks are pretty common for trades like plumbing, electrical, building maintenance, municipal maintenance and parks dept, etc.

In an urban area trading some capability and cargo/cabin space for maneuverability can make a lot of sense. For example in Seattle on neighborhood streets it's common for two way streets to only allow one car to pass at a time, forcing a driver to duck into a parking spot at times (or play chicken :whew:)which is way easier in a smaller vehicle. In some downtown garages full size spots barely fit an Accord and compact spots barely fit Mini Coopers.

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
* Snip

I really hope people start getting over the 4-cylinder thing. * Snip
When I was Fusion shopping I had an issue with paying what was being asked (price) for a 1.5L turbo large sedan. My motorcycle has a bigger engine than that! I ended up buying a 2.0L turbo and it really is more engine than the car needs. In retrospect the 1.5L turbo would be fine in a Fusion.

I had a 2015 50th anniversary Mustang with the 2.3L turbo so I had no issues with the 2.3L Ranger when shopping for a truck. That 2.3L turbo Mustang was a blast. The 5.0L V8 was $7,000 more at the time and I had an opportunity to drag race the 2.3L and 5.0L cars against each other before I bought it and the 2.3L was consistently nose to the tail of the 5.0L at the end of the 1/8 mile track. Boy did I catch flak for driving a 4 cylinder Mustang.

However, that is all my perception. There are some around here in my town and in my office that have a significant issue with the F150 having too many V6 choices and regularly state that 'it needs a V8.' Never mind the capability of the 3.5L twin turbo eclipses the 5.0L while at the same time getting better fuel economy. The 'puny' little 2.7L turbo is also quite the performer in the F150 making me believe that the 2.3L would probably make a decent engine even in the F150.

Changing perceptions is one of the most difficult things for a company to do.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Changing perceptions is one of the most difficult things for a company to do.
I'm pretty well convinced that one of Ford's reasons for releasing this ranger was to get the 2.3 out and familiar before they started production of the next-gen ranger and bronco. If they get through all the complaining now, and people get a chance to see how it actually performs, it makes the next launch easier.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I'm pretty well convinced that one of Ford's reasons for releasing this ranger was to get the 2.3 out and familiar before they started production of the next-gen ranger and bronco. If they get through all the complaining now, and people get a chance to see how it actually performs, it makes the next launch easier.
Yeah, Ford is really breaking the ice on this, especially with Trucks (some car makers have been going turbo GDI for some time), so they're going to take the brunt of the adjustment period. With increasing fuel econ requirements, I think they will all need to do it or something similar at some point.

Part of the problem is that people don't see some of the benefits until after they've been driving for a while. I expected somewhat better fuel economy, but early reports weren't so great. In my case, those early reports really didn't correspond to my experience. The MPG isn't that great in stop-and-go, but on the highway, I was pretty impressed when I got 28 MPG average on a 500-mile round trip that included going up and back over the winding Sonora Pass (9600 ft.). I was driving conservatively but not hypermiling - mostly just sticking to speed limits.

To meet future requirements, they're going to need to move past even small displacement turbo, like to hybrids or electric trucks. I can't wait to see what the adjustment period is going to look like for that!! ;)
Sponsored