Dashcam Install

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Honest question... What's the value add for a dash cam? What do you get for spending $50 to $400 dollars on a camera to record your view? I've been thinking about pulling the trigger but just not sure what the full advantage is outside of covering yourself in case of an accident. Does insurance give a discount?
I thought Florida was car insurance fraud capital of the country. Like @Desert_5G said it’s better than any witness statement since it’s impartial and objective.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Honest question... What's the value add for a dash cam? What do you get for spending $50 to $400 dollars on a camera to record your view? I've been thinking about pulling the trigger but just not sure what the full advantage is outside of covering yourself in case of an accident. Does insurance give a discount?
Mine has GPS too, so if I get accused of speeding, not stopping at a stop sign, running a light, hopefully I can prove otherwise.

I"ve had kids in neighborhood run out in front of my car. First thing a parent who wasnt watching their kid will say is I was speeding. Video proof may save your ass.

I"ve had drivers in front of or behind me do some stupid stuff, and theres always the possibility a video will go viral and make me a million bucks on YouTube. The stupider people get, the higher my chances!

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
I thought Florida was car insurance fraud capital of the country.
I wouldn't doubt it, although driving in Central FL is nothing like the free for all in South FL.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to install my dash cam this weekend, but then encountered a huge problem, the safety camera housing/rear view mirror. It already obscures so much of the top-center of the windshield that my dash cam would have to mount in the middle of the windshield like this:

1LW4062264-InCar6-1500-5b803f8ec9e77c0025d3f4de.jpg

So I will need to reevaluate which dash cam I can use that will be more compact.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Front Camera:
PJcRET8.jpg
I'm thinking a compact dash cam centered under the safety camera housing is the only spot available. Can you take a photo from inside that shows the driver's view/sightline with your dash cam installed?

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking a compact dash cam centered under the safety camera housing is the only spot available. Can you take a photo from inside that shows the driver's view/sightline with your dash cam installed?
Sure, I'll snap one when I go to lunch.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to install my dash cam this weekend, but then encountered a huge problem, the safety camera housing/rear view mirror. It already obscures so much of the top-center of the windshield that my dash cam would have to mount in the middle of the windshield like this:

1LW4062264-InCar6-1500-5b803f8ec9e77c0025d3f4de.jpg

So I will need to reevaluate which dash cam I can use that will be more compact.
I'd suggest just moving it to the Right of the Rear View Mirror. Still has a great view of the road ahead and will be out of sight of your line of vision. Otherwise get a narrower version camera which can fit at the top of the windshield directly ahead of your view. That's where mine is on my Porsche which shows exactly what I see from the driver position. It's where I'll be putting mine on the Ranger once it ships.

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I just stuck mine under the stock camera as well. I'll hardwire and run the rear cam after it comes back from some R&D.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Driver's view:
RYxiVIl.jpg

Wiring tucked:
w9rUhGT.jpg

Sample video front:

Sample video rear:

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How did you run the wires to the back cam?
There's one USB cable that runs back, ran it up inside the crash detection housing, along the passenger side headliner, down the a-pillar, along the passenger side floor panels (didn't want to screw with the airbags up top), up the pasenger side c-pillar, along the back headliner and dropped down on the driver's side next to the sliding window.

Jerva

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
US Navy
Never used such a high quality dash cam before. Right now I’m using the 12v cigarette outlet while I wait to hardwire it.

F335265B-F14F-4054-A0DF-7E0504946BC8.jpeg
18907737-70C4-4825-8471-F31BA42FE17F.png
ED72188E-1F65-4442-9C56-0E715399C1FD.png
I'm in the same boat, never had anything that high end. Everything is showing up next week! Including the truck! I can't wait to get started! Thanks @Josh for going through the how to!
Sponsored