Dashboard Tray Modifications

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
So I'm wondering... has anyone taken out the tray in the dashboard? How hard is it to do? I'm thinking of a modification of putting a small piece of metal under it by simply gluing it. What I was going to do is to replace some of those sucker dash mounts with a magnet instead. I think they might stick a little better. I'm also thinking of using it for some other things in the future.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So I'm wondering... has anyone taken out the tray in the dashboard? How hard is it to do? I'm thinking of a modification of putting a small piece of metal under it by simply gluing it. What I was going to do is to replace some of those sucker dash mounts with a magnet instead. I think they might stick a little better. I'm also thinking of using it for some other things in the future.
There's a post on installing a ham radio, one of the guys on that thread had a stereo shop install his ham radio, they removed the tray and mounted the radio in it, then put it back. I think it just pulls out, but I've not been brave enough to give it a try.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
There's a post on installing a ham radio, one of the guys on that thread had a stereo shop install his ham radio, they removed the tray and mounted the radio in it, then put it back. I think it just pulls out, but I've not been brave enough to give it a try.
I’d really like to add power to that tray. 12v and USB. I’m imagining that would be useful for things like a heads up display, cell charger, dash cam. If anyone does this please post about it!

Al Gordon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm probably that guy. I had a "professional" audio installation shop do that part of the work for me, and to be honest, I'm not super happy with it. The tray does not properly seat following removal, so I had my dealership purchase a couple of replacement part trays from Ford, and I'm going to take a stab at it myself. The reason I got more than one replacement tray is to try doing some things like what you're mentioning with making the tray magnet-friendly, etc.

My hope is that a "virgin" tray that has not been tampered with will seat properly back into the enclosure. I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to doing this work, but I'll update here (and probably in that ham radio thread) when I do.
Sponsored