Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
Hey guys
For the past 1000 miles my truck on the drives side rattles only in the mornings.
I love in ga so the weather is pretty mild. I have traced it down to the defrost vent. It’s seem pretty well attached and doesn’t seem loose. Like I said it only does it in the morning. Truck only has 2175 miles on it and it’s aggravating. It does it at low rpm- higher rpm and even hitting those lane reflectors. Is anyone else experiencing this and should I take it to the dealer or live it. I don’t want to the the over picky person but it drives me nuts knowing what I paid and the dash rattles
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Hey guys
For the past 1000 miles my truck on the drives side rattles only in the mornings.
I love in ga so the weather is pretty mild. I have traced it down to the defrost vent. It’s seem pretty well attached and doesn’t seem loose. Like I said it only does it in the morning. Truck only has 2175 miles on it and it’s aggravating. It does it at low rpm- higher rpm and even hitting those lane reflectors. Is anyone else experiencing this and should I take it to the dealer or live it. I don’t want to the the over picky person but it drives me nuts knowing what I paid and the dash rattles
You might check the cover behind the rear view mirror. Mine rattles like crazy every once in a while and stops when I poke on it.

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
You might check the cover behind the rear view mirror. Mine rattles like crazy every once in a while and stops when I poke on it.
I know it’s my defrost panel. It can rattle and I will put my hand on it and it will stop. My question is WHY. It’s a new truck

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed

wiss

First Name
Wisam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLS crew cab 4x2
Occupation
ebayer
I know it’s my defrost panel. It can rattle and I will put my hand on it and it will stop. My question is WHY. It’s a new truck
it seems is on the top but is the ac duct , that rattle in cold most , you can put a felt tape or foam under it , you can access to the duct under the driver side dash , it is loose ... i fix mine that . and if it is the defroster vent you can take it off and put felt tape on all the parts that contact the under it . easy

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I read the forum and thanks for sharing . But like I stated I know mine is the defrost panel cause I can replicate the sound by hitting bump etc . When I place my hand over the panel and hit the bumps - no sound let go. Sound is back?
Put a piece of tape under the lip. That fixed mine :)

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
So I got mine to quiet down by putting 1 inchRubber D Weather-stripping under the dash as per the other thread Nasty rattle... but I am still trying to figure out the source of the rattle.
Mine seems to rattle no matter what, Climate Control high Low, Defrost on or Off. I cannot make it stop by placing my hand on the on the dash anywhere.

@wiss Where do you find the defrost duct? Would you have a photo?
I assume it is one of these pieces?

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 9.19.07 AM.png

wiss

First Name
Wisam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ebayer
So I got mine to quiet down by putting 1 inchRubber D Weather-stripping under the dash as per the other thread Nasty rattle... but I am still trying to figure out the source of the rattle.
Mine seems to rattle no matter what, Climate Control high Low, Defrost on or Off. I cannot make it stop by placing my hand on the on the dash anywhere.

Where is the rattle or buzzing coming ? Driver side ? Near to the pillar ? Try to upload a video with sound

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
Where is the rattle or buzzing coming ? Driver side ? Near to the pillar ? Try to upload a video with sound
The Drivers side top Dash. New the Collision light and Defrost grill. I will try to get a Video.

wiss

First Name
Wisam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ebayer
The Drivers side top Dash. New the Collision light and Defrost grill. I will try to get a Video.
Oh yeah I fix that ... looks like is the plastic dash trim but is not. remove all the stuff you’ve put under the dash.
The rattle/ buzzing you have is exactly the plastic duct , under the dash like behind the steering wheel. Introduce your hand from the bottom between the brake and fuel pad straight up. Until you touch the plastic vent duct. You’ll see that is a bit loose , in cold most , Put some foam in way to avoid moving. Done ✅. Lmk

C4079E32-F006-4E93-BF5E-8B63738BB405.jpeg

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
Oh yeah I fix that ... looks like is the plastic dash trim but is not. remove all the stuff you’ve put under the dash.
The rattle/ buzzing you have is exactly the plastic duct , under the dash like behind the steering wheel. Introduce your hand from the bottom between the brake and fuel pad straight up. Until you touch the plastic vent duct. You’ll see that is a bit loose , in cold most , Put some foam in way to avoid moving. Done ✅. Lmk

C4079E32-F006-4E93-BF5E-8B63738BB405.jpeg
@wiss I will give it a try.

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
Did u fix it ? :)
Well it got above freezing around here. I did remove all the insulation I added under the dash and the rattle has not returned. I attribute that to warmer temperatures.
I have an appointment with the dealer so I hope it gets cold again and I can capture the rattle on video.
I also want to try wiggling the defroster duct as you instructed.
Sponsored