Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,

I would be curious to hear your recommendations for soundproofing. As I have found the joy of soundproofing is not to be underestimated. Yes, I have a large downpipe, a Borla catback exhaust, a larger turbo, and my truck can be kind of loud. Some people don't understand why but I did sound proof my truck. Oh man... it is glorious. It is really quiet when driving easy and on the highway, even with Goodyear DuraTrac tires. However, when I choose to hear the growl, I just drop the transmission to Sport and hit the gas.

I measured the sound with my Apple Watch and my best estimate, as I don't assume I am 100% accurate in making equal measurement within equal experiments, is at least 15 dB. That is a lot! Plus, when I close the doors the truck feels way more solid.

When I was done with my truck I continued on my daughter's 2018 Ford Escape Titanium. The interior of her car feels nicer than the last 5 Series BMW I had and in the realm of my 7 Series.

I used a butyl and foil product as well as automotive Thinsulate from 3M. I also added a bit of thing foam to to underside of the roof skin and to the doors to lessen the thermal load for the HVAC systems. I am curious if you have any other suggestions for soundproofing.

Have a great weekend!

Jim
HI JIm,

Wow! You have done a fantastic job of quieting your Cab. 3 dBa is roughly a 100% reduction and at 15 you have done exceptionally well. Applications you have addressed are potential noise paths. Since I do not have access to the NVH mapping of the Ranger, I can only estimate noise sources. The forward dash panel...some call it a firewall but we do not use the F word, so Dash Panel is a source of engine intrusion, particularly the exhaust side and the passenger foot well. A Pillar wind rush can be noticable and some insulation of the A pillar in the area of the windshield can sometimes improve cab noise. My concern on my Ranger is the rear doors which exhibit quite a bit of road noise transmission. Another source is the vibratory response of the pickup box head board of the pickup box. On the old generation of Ranger I had my NVH guy assess this problem and we applied 10"x 14" mastic pads to the head board of the pickup box to address. We had some customer concerns that the mastic did not help, but I had my NVH engineer try a drop in bead liner and thus we issued a engineering solution for this by giving the customer a free bead liner! Nice ace up the sleeve so to speak. Body guys asked me how they could fix the head board and I told them to make it look like a giant waffle. 5G headboard is much better and I am betting my experience with the older Ranger contributed to a much better design. Noise paths can be tricky but you covered many of the potential paths with success. If you do have some areas you might use a simple mechanics stethoscope with the diaphragm and steel probe removed so you have just the tube from the ear piece. It makes a very directional probe and can radar in on a noise path.

Congrats on a fantastic job of noise abatement!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
An update. I received my real carbon fiber kit. I installed the door window switches and also the center radio/hvac piece. I did not install the lower (shifter area) piece as of yet as I have an issue with the chrome trim bubbling - the part has been on order from the Dealer for 3 weeks now.

I had a problem with the radio/hvac piece. After lightly applying it, my temperature rocker switches would not return to the neutral position when pressed - the appliqué was ‘in the way’. It almost seems like cutout area around the rockers is a bit too small. I attempted to lift the appliqué to try to reposition it a bit thinking that might solve the problem. Well...that sucker was already really stuck (even without pressing down) and when I tried to peel it off - the thin narrow strip that runs right under the temperature rockers tore in half. I panicked and tried to realign it but it’s still a bit off.....but....my rocker issue was resolved - lol.
A 2nd problem also happened - on that same left side there is a slight waviness to the appliqué just to the left of the volume control. The appliqué appears to be stuck down well and is not lifting anywhere - weird. Apparently another member - Cape Cruiser - also had this issue (both the rocker and waviness issue) and was sent another appliqué from Wooddash.

I contacted Mel at Wooddash, sent him a pic and he is having B&I send me a new replacement appliqué. Mel has been great to work with. He also said I was the 3rd person he knows of with this problem.

Overall though - I really like the look! It adds character to the interior and enhances the overall look.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

3CCA3138-A5BF-481F-81D3-554457BB1B45.jpeg

Last edited:

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone install the autostop eliminator after the dash kit? Seems like the gaps are small between the panels you pop to install the eliminator. I'd hate to buy it and ruin the wooddash trim pieces.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
apotocki
that looks great ! part number ? thanks

OP
OP
Cape Cruiser

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Finished my install today. Center console and cup holder pieces - no issues, easy install. Very happy with the look.
Here are a couple pics.

B5565570-8931-45D9-9D1A-A0941D18E836.jpeg

EA9398C6-0CE8-4D8A-8C17-4044382FA67E.jpeg

23D49A41-69D6-4028-BCDB-77AC99D62B0F.jpeg
Nice job Alan ! I need to contact Mel and fix mine. Bret

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
thanks guys ?

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a passenger eject button :question:

Image 1083.png
Hahaha.....that is OEM Ambient lighting. I had it added after purchase. I can toggle the front footwells and cup holder between I think 5 different colors.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Installed my old farts faux wood dash applique from wooddash.com. I needed to break up some of the black dash ad this fit the bill. I paid more and had custom made area around the shifter that doesnt have the cutout for the 4x4 switch as I have a 4x2. These kits are more geared to super crew cab as there are pieces you cant use on the scab. Overall im very happy with the change and an unitended result was the applique for the climate controls kind of outlines the switches and makes then easier to see and use for me as im blind in my right eye. Stay cool today its HOT Bret
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
That looks nicer than the 1992 Mercedes 300E factory wood interiors and they were real wood I believe. Classy with the light colored leather in your truck.
1611340226881.png

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Hahaha.....that is OEM Ambient lighting. I had it added after purchase. I can toggle the front footwells and cup holder between I think 5 different colors.
I hope it is brighter than the factory ambient lighting in the Lariat.
Sponsored