Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just passing on a pet peeve that one of my engineering professors pounded into my head. I would guess that 'most' of you are damping your tailgates, not dampening them, though some of you may enjoy a moist tailgate. :LOL:

Damp:
Definition of damp transitive verb. 1a : to affect with or as if with a noxious gas : choke. b : to diminish the activity or intensity of damping down the causes of inflation liquid damps out compass oscillations. c : to check the vibration or oscillation of

Dampen:
verb (used with object)
to make damp; moisten: to dampen a sponge. to dampen one's spirits.
You forgot this part of the definition of DAMPEN:
make less strong or intense.
Sponsored

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just passing on a pet peeve that one of my engineering professors pounded into my head. I would guess that 'most' of you are damping your tailgates, not dampening them, though some of you may enjoy a moist tailgate. :LOL:

Damp:
Definition of damp transitive verb. 1a : to affect with or as if with a noxious gas : choke. b : to diminish the activity or intensity of damping down the causes of inflation liquid damps out compass oscillations. c : to check the vibration or oscillation of

Dampen:
verb (used with object)
I'm pretty sure there's a section missing from the definition for Dampen. Does it not also mean to make less strong or intense? Could also be used in this context :p

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Damp:

Dampen:
verb (used with object)
LOL.. Moist!

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Thank You! I edited my Introduction post to reflect "damper". Looked at the instructions that came with it and they refer to it as a tailgate assist or shock.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Thank You! I edited my Introduction post to reflect "damper". Looked at the instructions that came with it and they refer to it as a tailgate assist or shock.
Now you done it. Should be a tee shirt and some back slaps for that effort ?

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
A curious line in a book piqued my interest.

"Which kind of put a damper on any change of taking that particular target out".

So someone is actually using the word outside of tailgate :)

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Damp:

Dampen:
verb (used with object)
Wait a minute. Let's think this through. Would it be possible to invent a damper that would both slow the tailgate's descent AND moisten it at the same time? Now, I'd buy that.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Wait a minute. Let's think this through. Would it be possible to invent a damper that would both slow the tailgate's descent AND moisten it at the same time? Now, I'd buy that.
Would that be a be a Damper Pamper?
Thinking.jpeg