First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
:stop:Let's not all panic like the Transmission threads. lol This was unfortunate what happened but besides this one case everyone else's has worked flawlessly. I'm more surprised that @Livernois Motorsports didn't take care of this from the start. :shock:
No panic here, tune was a snap to install, no issues at all. I am betting he has a bad loader which is causing the issue @Livernois Motorsports needs to replace it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No panic here, tune was a snap to install, no issues at all. I am betting he has a bad loader which is causing the issue @Livernois Motorsports needs to replace it.
I know you weren't panicking but some reading this might. lol Mine was super easy too. I just finally did an update about a month ago after having it for 2.5 years. Everything went smoothly and it's back to being a ?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know you weren't panicking but some reading this might. lol Mine was super easy too. I just finally did an update about a month ago after having it for 2.5 years. Everything went smoothly and it's back to being a ?
I do not think I have had a tune update lately, but have updated the loader software twice in the last 18 months, truck still runs great.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I do not think I have had a tune update lately, but have updated the loader software twice in the last 18 months, truck still runs great.
I only have a Mac and Livernois requires a PC. When I first did the instal I used a friends PC but he's moved. I bought a refurbished HP PC a few months back and finally did the updates. I installed mine back on 8/2020 so it was due for one.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I only have a Mac and Livernois requires a PC. When I first did the instal I used a friends PC but he's moved. I bought a refurbished HP PC a few months back and finally did the updates. I installed mine back in 8/2020 so it was due for one.
I use a Macbook Pro to run MS programs, just run win10 in bootcamp, works just fine. Also run windows 10 for a couple of other programs that don't have MacOS equivalents, like Solar controller. Bootcamp comes with MacOS and lets you dual boot into windows or MacOS.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
@AzScorpion is right in that mine seems to be an outlier.

Mine has been problematic from the start but most have no issues.

I was able to recover it on the 3rd try so back to stock and for the tuner back to the box.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@AzScorpion is right in that mine seems to be an outlier.

Mine has been problematic from the start but most have no issues.

I was able to recover it on the 3rd try so back to stock and for the tuner back to the box.
I still think you got a bad tuner, they should have stood behind it, CS seems to be lacking conciddering the tuner/tune cost.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I still think you got a bad tuner, they should have stood behind it, CS seems to be lacking conciddering the tuner/tune cost.
I blame me mostly.

I should've returned it at the first sign of problems.

2 weeks of the 30 day window I was afraid/unable to drive my truck because of the crank sensor error that wouldn't clear (had to be cleared by the dealer).

And like the title of this thread, curse me for thinking that things might be different this time.

Maybe I'll try Unleashed if my transmission doesn't blow up ?

Edit: Well I almost made it a year before I tried it again.

I found an old post of mine from May of 2022 where I shelved this thing.

Since my brain is apparently being defective today I should think of something else silly to try.

That would be me.

My tuner bricked my truck at least a half dozen times until I finally just put it back in the box where it still sits.

Every now and then I think to myself, "Self, maybe you should try it one more time"

Then my other Self, "Self, are you stupid? Do you remember not being able to drive it for 2 weeks because it was throwing a crankshaft error that wouldn't clear? And you ended up having to take it to the dealer to get it cleared? Do you remember how many times the load failed and your truck became a $40k yard ornament?"

After the bricking I was eventually able to return it to stock but it always took a few hours of letting it sit.

I wouldn't even think of selling it to someone because I think it's a bad tuner, or a bad cable, or it just hates my truck in particular. Or it hates me.

I chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I've heard good thing about Oz tuning, though if I ever tune again I'll probably go Unleashed.

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I blame me mostly.

I should've returned it at the first sign of problems.

2 weeks of the 30 day window I was afraid/unable to drive my truck because of the crank sensor error that wouldn't clear (had to be cleared by the dealer).

And like the title of this thread, curse me for thinking that things might be different this time.

Maybe I'll try Unleashed if my transmission doesn't blow up ?
Well, I can recommend the FPP tune/tuner, I have been nothing but happy with it. I have tuned many a car, heck, even tuned my Ford F53 V10 RV :) But I did get a great price on it from Levitttown Ford online using Ford points.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
This could be a simple case of a bad OBD cable, or something wrong with the com port on the PC you're using. We have $1000 USB devices we use at work for certain purposes. One kept giving us problems and were ready to send it in for repair. Then one of my coworkers suggested trying a new cable. I thought, no way, can't be that simple. Yep, that fixed it.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This could be a simple case of a bad OBD cable, or something wrong with the com port on the PC you're using. We have $1000 USB devices we use at work for certain purposes. One kept giving us problems and were ready to send it in for repair. Then one of my coworkers suggested trying a new cable. I thought, no way, can't be that simple. Yep, that fixed it.
I've used 3 different PCs.

Intel gaming desktop, Ryzen gaming desktop, and a Microsoft Surface Book 2.

Same results.

That said, it could very well be just the cable.

But at this point I'm done with it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Edit: I just looked at some of my older threads and I've said I was done with it on several occasions. Man, ain't I smart? ?

So check back in 8-10 months or so when I dust it off again and nuke my truck again.

Livernois would probably be very happy if I left it in the box since I wouldn't be recounting these adventures again.

Last edited:

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
I wouldn't say it's time to panic but as we have seen with other suppliers, a great product does not make up for gaps in support.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I use a Macbook Pro to run MS programs, just run win10 in bootcamp, works just fine. Also run windows 10 for a couple of other programs that don't have MacOS equivalents, like Solar controller. Bootcamp comes with MacOS and lets you dual boot into windows or MacOS.
Bootcamp is gone with the current Macs as it requires an Intel processor.

I recently upgraded my 6 core i7 Intel Mac Mini to an M2 Pro Mac Mini.

All performance metrics are doubled and then some, but the biggest thing I notice is how cool it runs.

The chassis with the Intel would get warm when you were taxing it. The Apple silicon has never gotten above room temperature, though I've only had it a bit over a week.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Well, I can recommend the FPP tune/tuner, I have been nothing but happy with it. I have tuned many a car, heck, even tuned my Ford F53 V10 RV :) But I did get a great price on it from Levitttown Ford online using Ford points.
You keep bragging about the fpp tuner. What you're not realizing is it is infact a livernois tuner (The very tuner the OP is having a problem with). Even the program was written by livernois. So your saying because ford endorsed it it is perfect? Not. I own 1 and also an hp tuners device. I'll say this. The unleashed tune in my ranger is every bit as good as the fpp( livernois) tune in my mustang. Maybe better.
Sponsored