First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Considering a 2020 Lariat. Salesperson sent me stickers showing cargo capacity of 1385 lbs. With a GVWR of 6,050 lbs it appears the weight of the Lariat at 6050 - 1385 = 4,665 lbs. I want to flat tow the Lariat. My limit is 5,000 lbs. Adding bikes, kayaks and stuff may reach that limit.

My question is has anyone compared the calculation above to an actual scale weighing of the vehicle. I am not sure if the yellow sticker calculation includes all options on the truck.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ron
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Considering a 2020 Lariat. Salesperson sent me stickers showing cargo capacity of 1385 lbs. With a GVWR of 6,050 lbs it appears the weight of the Lariat at 6050 - 1385 = 4,665 lbs. I want to flat tow the Lariat. My limit is 5,000 lbs. Adding bikes, kayaks and stuff may reach that limit.

My question is has anyone compared the calculation above to an actual scale weighing of the vehicle. I am not sure if the yellow sticker calculation includes all options on the truck.

Ron
Assuming you have a CrewCab?

OP
OP

Sarz272000

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Yes crew cab with FX4, tow package, running boards, 18 inch wheels and 501 pkg.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The Ranger is a heavy truck. When I was shopping for mine, I compared the weight to an equivalent F150 and the full sized truck was just 400 pounds more.

Deleted member 1634

I've always been of the assumption that the yellow sticker is the exact weight and capacity of that specific truck, with all the factory options and add-ons. They weigh it after it's built and slap that sticker on as it's heading out the door. At least that's what we do with our new airplanes that we build.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Ron
Take your truck, or one you are test driving, to a gravel pit or a grain elevator and get it weighed. :thumbsup:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've always been of the assumption that the yellow sticker is the exact weight and capacity of that specific truck, with all the factory options and add-ons. They weigh it after it's built and slap that sticker on as it's heading out the door. At least that's what we do with our new airplanes that we build.
Hi Matt,

Um.....NOPE! It is based on options and such but there are no scales to weigh each vehicle. The aircraft industry does not make 42 planes an hour so you can do this. This is why I stress to take your vehicle to your friendly truck stop scale... Then you know your exact weight. No guessing or assumption.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger is a heavy truck. When I was shopping for mine, I compared the weight to an equivalent F150 and the full sized truck was just 400 pounds more.
Mostly because the F-150s are all aluminum.... I read they lost 700 pounds when they went from all steel to all aluminum bodies.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly because the F-150s are all aluminum.... I read they lost 700 pounds when they went from all steel to all aluminum bodies.
Hi Rob,

Yep...a marketing number that might be underestimate of an actual build. Significant weight reduction for sure and Ford locked suppliers of the aluminum to long term contracts to prevent other manufacturers from initially countering, which is why GM put out the attack ads. They got behind the 8 ball on EcoBoost and aluminum as did Fix It Again Tony (Fiat).

Take away is to WEIGH your vehicle....then you know...do not guess. Then you make sound decisions.

A bit of a back story. When we ran any testing on a vehicle, we did not just run a test. Before the test there was an engineering signoff that the vehicle was representative of design intent. Then the vehicle was taking to the scales and weighed for the exact test weight. If the test required GVW, the the vehicle was taken to the weight shed and loaded and weighed again. All this data was then contained in the test report that was filed as part of the program documentation. All engineers were required to write test reports with data and documentation. We did not just blindly do a test and move on....Document, Document, Document and more importantly...follow the test procedure. This does not apply to development where we had to understand and solve problems but to tests to certify that the vehicle is ready for production. These vehicle development and certification documents are then sent to our Highland Park storage facility for record retention. There is much more to deliver a product to marketing than just driving a prototype around and see what happens, what breaks etc.

So Again. What to know what you can haul? What you can tow? Weigh your vehicle.

Okay...Rant over...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Sarz272000

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Hi Rob,

Yep...a marketing number that might be underestimate of an actual build. Significant weight reduction for sure and Ford locked suppliers of the aluminum to long term contracts to prevent other manufacturers from initially countering, which is why GM put out the attack ads. They got behind the 8 ball on EcoBoost and aluminum as did Fix It Again Tony (Fiat).

Take away is to WEIGH your vehicle....then you know...do not guess. Then you make sound decisions.

A bit of a back story. When we ran any testing on a vehicle, we did not just run a test. Before the test there was an engineering signoff that the vehicle was representative of design intent. Then the vehicle was taking to the scales and weighed for the exact test weight. If the test required GVW, the the vehicle was taken to the weight shed and loaded and weighed again. All this data was then contained in the test report that was filed as part of the program documentation. All engineers were required to write test reports with data and documentation. We did not just blindly do a test and move on....Document, Document, Document and more importantly...follow the test procedure. This does not apply to development where we had to understand and solve problems but to tests to certify that the vehicle is ready for production. These vehicle development and certification documents are then sent to our Highland Park storage facility for record retention. There is much more to deliver a product to marketing than just driving a prototype around and see what happens, what breaks etc.

So Again. What to know what you can haul? What you can tow? Weigh your vehicle.

Okay...Rant over...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked if anyone compared the yellow sticker weight with an actual weight for a Ranger is because I can’t weigh a new Ranger as no scales are near the dealer. I didn’t buy it yet. I don’t want to buy a Ranger and find out it is too heavy to use as a toad. I am limited to 5000 lbs.

If anyone has weighed their Ranger and could report the weigh vs the yellow sticker calculated weigh it would be much appreciated.

Ron

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked if anyone compared the yellow sticker weight with an actual weight for a Ranger is because I can’t weigh a new Ranger as no scales are near the dealer. I didn’t buy it yet. I don’t want to buy a Ranger and find out it is too heavy to use as a toad. I am limited to 5000 lbs.

If anyone has weighed their Ranger and could report the weigh vs the yellow sticker calculated weigh it would be much appreciated.

Ron
I haven't weighed mine at all and I have a XLT Sport crew cab 4x4. My question is you say your flat tow capacity it 5,000. What will you be towing the Ranger with?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Ron
Hi Ron,

If you are trying to flat tow the Ranger, you are well below the 5000 lb mark.... What is the tow vehicle vehicle? Is it the trailer hitch rating? Likely not a problem but you cannot hook it up to your tow vehicle and then load it up with all the stuff you wish to use. My Alfa motor home is rated at 10,000lbs, but many Alfa before are rated at 5,000 lbs and pretty much tow any towable vehicle on the market.

I do not think you have to worry about the weight of the exact vehicle in this circumstance. What the weight of the vehicle as towed is more of a concern, so until you can weigh the truck...just tow it without any loading. I think you will be fine.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Deleted member 1634

Hi Matt,

Um.....NOPE! It is based on options and such but there are no scales to weigh each vehicle. The aircraft industry does not make 42 planes an hour so you can do this. This is why I stress to take your vehicle to your friendly truck stop scale... Then you know your exact weight. No guessing or assumption.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Fair enough.

I'm not concerned about being +/- a few hundred pounds. I'm never going to be near the limit. So the estimate is good enough for me.

DC0046

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (Supercrew)
Occupation
Retired
I just bought a new 2019 Lariat fully loaded. Crew Cab also and have put a bed mat in it and Bak Flip bed cover. Weighted it Saturday and it weighs 4,640 pounds. That weight also includes the Road Master base plates. I will be towing it with a 32 foot Tiffin on a F53 chassis. Not concerned with towing, BUT will have to be cognizant of the Gross weight of the motorhome which includes towing weight. 22,000 pound chassis.
Sponsored