Colorado here

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Ahh okay. I've taken my Ranger down that section as well. The other side is a lot more extreme. If you cross the road by the reservoir onto Bull park that's pretty good too but a lot more rocky.
@Sandman

I did venture onto the Bull park trail the weekend before, but was solo and stopped at the first rocky creek/waterfall section. No winch or sliders I didn't dare try it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Okay so far it looks like this:

Not available on 8/1
@ToddlerCO and @coblueberryranger

Available on 8/1
@fusseli @Sandman @CO2Ranger @Frenchy and myself

Available on 8/8 and later
@Frenchy @ToddlerCO @CO2Ranger @coblueberryranger and myself.

Locations:

Most of us are on the front range with a few farther west. To make it as even as possible for everyone I think the Sawatch Range is a good central place. Open to suggestions obviously.
I can already say that is a fun area. I'm open to a few ideas over there.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I can already say that is a fun area. I'm open to a few ideas over there.
It does have some of the best trails. Only high up trail I’ve done there is Antero and it wasn’t that bad of a trail. I think a stock ranger could make it up.

What trials do you know if that would be a good day run for a group?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It does have some of the best trails. Only high up trail I’ve done there is Antero and it wasn’t that bad of a trail. I think a stock ranger could make it up.

What trials do you know if that would be a good day run for a group?
So far there are two Trail runs that would probably make a good day trip. One of them I don't know if it's fully open yet and that's Mosquito pass. The other one that I'm planning to do eventually which would make a cool day trip overall is Hagerman pass. Hagerman pass starts in Leadville at turquoise Lake and goes all the way out to Basalt. Returning you would go through Aspen and Independence Pass. I've heard it makes a very nice day trip and I've been through Hagerman pass on the Leadville side all the way to Ivanhoe Lake. It's a very nice drive over all.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
@RoadBoss @Randy2400h would you be able to join in on a meet up this month?
possibly, but my schedule is super random right now so it's hard for me to plan on anything in advance. I'll have to just kind of play it by ear and hope I can make it to whatever the rest of y'all plan.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
So far there are two Trail runs that would probably make a good day trip. One of them I don't know if it's fully open yet and that's Mosquito pass. The other one that I'm planning to do eventually which would make a cool day trip overall is Hagerman pass. Hagerman pass starts in Leadville at turquoise Lake and goes all the way out to Basalt. Returning you would go through Aspen and Independence Pass. I've heard it makes a very nice day trip and I've been through Hagerman pass on the Leadville side all the way to Ivanhoe Lake. It's a very nice drive over all.
Hagerman is beautiful and should be no problem for any stock ranger. Also camping on Ivanhoe Lake is wonderful, though I have a feeling it'll be fairly crowded on weekends these days.

Also Mosquito pass is great, but can be a bit daunting for those that haven't done much 4WD stuff before. Doable though.
And apparently it is open all the way through as of 7/24 at least.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hagerman is beautiful and should be no problem for any stock ranger. Also camping on Ivanhoe Lake is wonderful, though I have a feeling it'll be fairly crowded on weekends these days.

Also Mosquito pass is great, but can be a bit daunting for those that haven't done much 4WD stuff before. Doable though.
And apparently it is open all the way through as of 7/24 at least.
Good to know that Mosquito is open. And I wont argue that the Leadville side it pretty bad if you still have stock suspension or spacers. It is ROUGH!! Last I went to Ivanhoe lake there was a bunch of people at the entrance to the lake around 3 pm on a Sunday but after that no one was there so maybe just a pass by trip at best.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll do any trail you guys want to do. I’m sitting at 13” of clearance now so I should be fine on either one.

As for gear on the trip, I’ll bring my air jack and some basic hand tools. I’ll have the air compressor on the truck if anyone wants to air up before they leave. I can bring a tow strap and shackles as well.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm up for any trail. It will be a fun time I'm sure

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay so can we get a tentative plan for this weekend and if we have to change it we still have a few days?

Who here could make it for a Saturday 8/1 trail ride in the Leadville area?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So if we are to be around Leadville for a day then there are 2 options. Option 1 is Hagerman Pass to Basalt and back through Independence Pass. Option 2 is Mosquito Pass and back through Weston Pass.

If preferred to be a little closer to the springs as a thought there are some trails near BV and Poncha Springs. A good day trip could be the Rawley Mine, Marshall pass all the way to Sargents, or perhaps just a fun play day in the FourMile area behind BV. FourMile would be a good spot for those looking to get a feel for thier truck but be aware that it could be too busy on the weekends.

As one pther idea is to go to Tincup in a loop trip. Might be better to do a round trip but if with Tincup Pass with Cumberland Pass and Waunita Pass. The only downside is you will need a lift of some sort for Tincup Pass. I have been on the far East end of that pass and it was very rocky and wanted to toss my truck around a bit. Thankfully I didnt bottom out but that doesnt mean a stock truck wont.

Let me know what you think with these ideas.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d prefer Tin Cup Pass into Taylor park then out on cotton wood pass. Would make for a good wheeling beginning and a paved way back. Won’t put anyone in a rush that way I’m thinking.
FF599F6E-EA1F-46EE-9BAF-0321332C59FB.png
709E2C10-0407-4C39-ADAC-CBD37A88EF85.png

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For a beginner kind of trail we could try the North Fork Trail. I went up there in first week of June and it was snowed shut at the top still but it’s a beautiful area.
F850A770-36B5-4F7D-9010-A274F72568A2.jpeg
47E8FBEA-4C25-491B-949E-24FD6C66AB9C.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For a beginner kind of trail we could try the North Fork Trail. I went up there in first week of June and it was snowed shut at the top still but it’s a beautiful area.
F850A770-36B5-4F7D-9010-A274F72568A2.jpeg
47E8FBEA-4C25-491B-949E-24FD6C66AB9C.jpg
That looks like the trail for billings lake if im not mistaken right? If sonit is open and you can get to the top. A stock truck can do it bit might bottom out a few times heading back.

I’d prefer Tin Cup Pass into Taylor park then out on cotton wood pass. Would make for a good wheeling beginning and a paved way back. Won’t put anyone in a rush that way I’m thinking.
FF599F6E-EA1F-46EE-9BAF-0321332C59FB.png
709E2C10-0407-4C39-ADAC-CBD37A88EF85.png
I would be ok with this. Only down side for me is i dont have a locker so i hope that doesnt cause any issues.
Sponsored