Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Sailor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HPR Ranger Lariat
After living here in Saskatchewan since 97 I don't even look at mpg during the winter. Feb is usually our coldest month of the winter. Mon and Tues of this week it was -41 / -54 with the windchill when I woke up. At the moment it is -36 / -44. I think the warmest we have been this week was -29. We are paying for an unseasonally warm Dec and Jan.

OP
OP
peterson1604

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
After living here in Saskatchewan since 97 I don't even look at mpg during the winter. Feb is usually our coldest month of the winter. Mon and Tues of this week it was -41 / -54 with the windchill when I woke up. At the moment it is -36 / -44. I think the warmest we have been this week was -29. We are paying for an unseasonally warm Dec and Jan.
Those temps are just not right. Yikes! ???
I'll stop complaining now. ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's heading our way but I think they're only predicting -18
Only -18 lol.... Like that's a good thing. ??

I know what you mean though. When it's 105 someone from back home will ask how's the weather and I'll say nice it's only 105 today. They're like o_O but when it's been 112+ out 105 feels like a cold front.?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'm wondering if the mpg hit is mostly due to "warming up the truck"?

I never warm up our truck before driving it and I don't see any significant difference in mileage at all when it's cold? And we've driven the truck in 20 below zero weather.

I thought a cooler charge made more hp?
In the NC mountains, I averaged about 23-24mpg in mixed driving last summer (bone stock XLT 4x4). Have pulled as high as 28+mpg for a tank in the summertime for a highway-only tank of gas. Now in the wintertime, where temps have mostly not been so cold to require warming up the truck, and very similar driving conditions, I average right about 20mpg. Maybe 21 if I have a tank with mostly highway driving. When I have a lot of idling, which happens from time to time, it'll get down to 17-18mpg avg for a tank.

OP
OP
peterson1604

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Only -18 lol.... Like that's a good thing. ??

I know what you mean though. When it's 105 someone from back home will ask how's the weather and I'll say nice it's only 105 today. They're like o_O but when it's been 112+ out 105 feels like a cold front.?
We can always add a layer of clothes. Once you're naked it's done and you better find a cold pool when it's that hot! ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We can always add a layer of clothes. Once you're naked it's done and you better find a cold pool when it's that hot! ?

Problem is when it's that hot the pool water is hot too so it's not refreshing. Second problem most people I wouldn't want to see nekid! :surprised:

Okanagan Winemaker

Had our first real cold snap of the season here in the Okanagan.
-24 with wind chill. Best mileage was 9.6L/100km in the summer.
Now, 10.3L/100km due to cold, winter tires, winter gas and the weight
of the canopy.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Hey, hey, hey hang on there a minute Scott. Where?

Now, it might be a 7-hour drive north to the UP from my place, and I might be farther south than the greater portions of WA, OR, ID, MT, ND, SD, MN, and WI, and the southern-most tip of Canada may be further south than the northern tip of CA, but I think it’s widely accepted as common knowledge that only we Hosers can rightfully stake claim to that term - certainly before any Yoopers can.

I appreciate that it’s cold in the UP but Bob & Doug etched the official record in stone on that issue a long time ago.

However, my I’m not sure if I should be more disappointed in Gary (@Swingpure) for not calling this out much earlier. I mean, the guy lives in the part of this country that gets 11 months of winter each year.

❄ ? ? ? ? ??

1613229654781.png
I was busy with the Bell tech outside, who was very friendly and helpful, getting disappointed finding out once again we could not get a signal to get half decent wireless internet. Starlink is back on the table.

It amazes me how just a two hour drive north can make such a difference in weather between us and the GTA. we are always total winter from November to April and we do use the wood stove 10 months of the year. (Only a little bit in June and September)

We do not get as cold as the Prairies and many northern US States. I remember once when I was on a business trip, I was in Fort Worth Texas in the morning where it was +60 F and then unexpectedly was in Fargo North Dakota that evening, where with the wind chill, it was -60°.

Ken Klassen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Supercab 4x4
I was busy with the Bell tech outside, who was very friendly and helpful, getting disappointed finding out once again we could not get a signal to get half decent wireless internet. Starlink is back on the table.

It amazes me how just a two hour drive north can make such a difference in weather between us and the GTA. we are always total winter from November to April and we do use the wood stove 10 months of the year. (Only a little bit in June and September)

We do not get as cold as the Prairies and many northern US States. I remember once when I was on a business trip, I was in Fort Worth Texas in the morning where it was +60 F and then unexpectedly was in Fargo North Dakota that evening, where with the wind chill, it was -60°.
-29 C in Winnipeg (389 km north of Fargo) right now. Forecast low tonight is -36C but it is a dry cold ;)
Time to plug-in the block heater!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
-29 C in Winnipeg (389 km north of Fargo) right now. Forecast low tonight is -36C but it is a dry cold ;)
Time to plug-in the block heater!
Kind of like here when the say "It's a dry heat". When it's 115 dry or not it's to darn hot! ?

Dry Heat 2.jpg