Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks...from my retired newsletter

Ford Develops 3D-Printed Locking Wheels Nuts to Keep Thieves at Bay

Jan-28-2020
email.png
share-icon.png

1580200266676.jpg

DUNTON, England - As car security systems become increasingly more sophisticated, thieves are targeting car parts instead, including alloy wheels. Engineers at Ford have now developed unique locking wheel nuts using 3D printing technology.

Together with EOS, a leading supplier for high-end solutions in additive manufacturing, Ford has created locking nuts with contours based on the driver’s voice.

Like an iris scan or a fingerprint, a person’s voice can be used as a unique biometric identification. Engineers record the driver’s voice for a minimum of one second, saying something like “I drive a Ford Mustang”, and use software to convert that singular soundwave into a physical, printable pattern. This pattern is then turned into a circle and used as the design for the locking nut’s indentation and key.

With the geometry in place, the nut and key are designed as one piece, then 3D-printed using acid and corrosion resistant stainless steel. When finished, the nut and key are separated, with a small amount of grinding required to make them ready for use.

The design also includes second level security features that prevent the nut from being cloned or copied. The unevenly spaced ribs inside the nut and indentations that widen the deeper they go prevent a thief from making a wax imprint of the pattern, as the wax breaks when it is pulled from the nut.

If not using the driver’s voice to create the contours, the nuts could feature designs specific to a vehicle, such as with the Mustang logo, or use the driver’s initials. The design could also take inspiration from a driver’s interest, for example, by using the outline of a famous racetrack.

“It’s one of the worst experiences for a driver, to find their car up on blocks with all four wheels gone,” said Raphael Koch, research engineer, Advanced Materials and Processes, Ford of Europe.

“Some alloy wheels can cost thousands to replace, but these unique rim nuts will stop thieves in their tracks. Making wheels more secure and offering more product personalisation are further proof that 3D printing is a game-changer for car production.”

3D printing, or additive manufacturing, offers design flexibility to help reduce weight, improve performance and create parts that wouldn’t be possible using conventional methods. For more than 30 years, Ford has increasingly used 3D printing to make prototype parts which help reduce the development time for new vehicles.

The company has also used this technology to create parts that feature in the Ford GT, Focus and Mustang GT500, and will make more 3D-printed parts in the future. Special bespoke car parts are also 3D printed, including the intake manifold in Ken Block’s Hoonitruck and the pair of wind louvres found on the M-Sport Ford Fiesta World Rally Championship car.

On the Ford production line, 3D printing is used to create assembly line tools that are up to 50 per cent lighter, which makes repetitive tasks less physically stressful and helps improve manufacturing quality. As many of these tools are made of nylon, Ford has introduced a recycling programme that turns old 3D-printed pieces and plastics from manufacturing areas into 100 per cent recycled nylon. Ford also creates 3D-printed safety equipment, such as protection sleeves for rotating tools used on the production line, which prevent operators from incurring finger and arm injuries.

“Having our very own plug-and-play printer enables us to make tools and parts exactly when we need them, and to replace them faster than ever before,” said Lars Bognar, research engineer, Advanced Materials and Processes, Ford of Europe. “For some tools, the delivery time was up to eight weeks, but with 3D printing, the turn-around has been reduced to just five days. Best of all, anyone can sit down, create the part they need and start printing it using recycled plastic.”

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retried
Sponsored

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. How cool is that!

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful what you say to your lug nuts. Eventually someone will devise a way to play the imprinted audio back. Sort of like a vinyl LP and a phonograph. :giggle:

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Good set of vice grips will rip that lug nut off sticking out that far.... Or drive two stainless wedges 180deg apart and any simple bar will spin that nut off. Having the most complicated key in the world doesn't matter if you can deal with the lock itself.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Good set of vice grips will rip that lug nut off sticking out that far.... Or drive two stainless wedges 180deg apart and any simple bar will spin that nut off. Having the most complicated key in the world doesn't matter if you can deal with the lock itself.
Agreed... I have a tool in my toolbox that would grab the outside off those and spin them off no problem at all. If they combined that technology with a loose/free-spinning outer ring then I think they’d be a much better solution.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Derek,

Welcome to the world of Ford Marketing...so clueless...This is why I posted this as it is frankly absurd to think this is worthy of publication. Now I think a owner thumbprint to remove your wheel/tire is worthy...Just remember to replace your mega bucks tiny little battery every 6 months has some merit, eh? AAA roadside or Ford Roadside assistance would be a no brainer, eh??

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed... I have a tool in my toolbox that would grab the outside off those and spin them off no problem at all. If they combined that technology with a loose/free-spinning outer ring then I think they’d be a much better solution.
Did you folks ever think that is left out for marketing purposes so it is easy to see??

I would be willing to bet it does not actually protrude like that when installed.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a sore throat and a flat how do you change the tire? LOL

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Did you folks ever think that is left out for marketing purposes so it is easy to see??

I would be willing to bet it does not actually protrude like that when installed.
You’re likely right, but even if it’s recessed most of the removal tools will still grab it and easily remove it as long as there is at least a little room between the lock and the wheel.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
You’re likely right, but even if it’s recessed most of the removal tools will still grab it and easily remove it as long as there is at least a little room between the lock and the wheel.
Really doubt that is the case. Locking lugs are not new, even with one off locks.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I thought all the cool kids these days were just hammering oversized sockets onto the locks and then torquing the lugs off as normal? One of the dealers around here had some wheels stolen even though they had locking lugs. When they did their lot inspection they found a Charger up on blocks and with heavily dented locking lugs on the ground...

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Reminds me of a dealer at one place I used to live. Someone stole the tires/rims off a new F-150 and replaced them with their old crappy tires/rims. Dealer didn't notice for a week or so. The same week, a light bar was stolen off of a police car...at the police station!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I have insurance, they can have the rims if they want them that badly, it's not 1982 and ALL vehicles come with alloy rims! The wheel locks never make it home from the stealership. I take them off in the lot and right into the trash can! Learned my lesson over 20 years ago when service-monkeys forget to put the key back, break them [by using an air gun] and not using torque wrench/too tight, etc. Have had alloy or 'nice' rims on most of my vehicles since about 1988 never had a theft issue. JMO

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have insurance, they can have the rims if they want them that badly, it's not 1982 and ALL vehicles come with alloy rims! The wheel locks never make it home from the stealership. I take them off in the lot and right into the trash can! Learned my lesson over 20 years ago when service-monkeys forget to put the key back, break them [by using an air gun] and not using torque wrench/too tight, etc. Have had alloy or 'nice' rims on most of my vehicles since about 1988 never had a theft issue. JMO
a big issue I have with anyone else working on my tires is that they never torque the lug nuts like you are supposed to on alloy wheels and instead just mash them on way too tight with a zip gun. Last time I had tires changed the guy was so rough he mashed the metal covers that go over the lug nuts to shit and put dents all over one rim around the lug nut area. When I complained he said that the regular socket wouldn't fit because the metal caps had "swollen". I had rotated the tires a week earlier and had no issues. now those metal covers do come loose but it wasn't the case here I think he used too big of a socket. Probably SAE instead of metric. Anyway, he bought me a new rim but I still got my tire machine fixed asap after that. Never again...
Sponsored