Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty aggressive timeline IMHO.

Chrysler CES 2022 Announcement

It looks like this may be Chrysler specific and not aimed at Jeep, Ram, etc.

The Chrysler Airflow Concept does look pretty cool.

I'm just wondering how Chrysler can get by without having transmissions to fail.

chrysler-airflow-concept.jpg
I guess it makes sense to jump right into electric for Chrysler, they only sell the 300 and a mini van. Jeep starting in 2022 and Dodge in 2023 are getting a brand new clean sheet of paper sequential twin turbo inline 6 that makes 525+ HP. For the new Charger and Challenger in 2023 besides the new inline 6 the current 6.4 hemi V8 will be part of a hybrid powertrain. The top performance versions of these cars will be EV.
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
How much more is your electric bill than a neighbor who doesn’t own an EV?

Not a jab, I’m honestly curious.
I can't give a good example as I have solar that negates a large portion of charging costs.

80kWh battery x .08/kwh = $6.40 for a full charge or about 250-300 miles depending on weather
$6.40 x 30 days adds about $192 in charging costs in a month

Very few people drive this much though. the US average estimates 40 miles round trip. This is driven 150 miles day minimum. so potentially 3-4 times higher than average driver.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
@AzScorpion ahh… and that’s in Arizona, 7 year break even point. Not bad. Here’s what I found on google for my home. Not quite the 7 year break even point. ?

BC7E03C8-718E-4A2D-8248-8BCF013893FE.jpeg
You need to move out from that frozen tundra. lol ?

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Good question. I can see other savings with EVs like no oil changes an reduced maintenance costs but that all gets wiped out if you own it long enough to require a new battery (an then some). My only problem with EVs is I don't think we have the support in place for them yet (lack of grid an charging stations) an everyone overlooks the impact of all the mining of all the materials that make up the batteries.
just hit 120k miles. so far maintenance cost has been tires and washer fluid

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
You're not an idiot there's a lot to learn about solar, I was clueless too but I'm one who researches everything to death. It's impossible to say what the "average" cost is because everyone uses electricity different. Some run their ac colder, they leave more lights on etc... My friend here has the same house as I have and same number living there (2) and he uses way more than we do.

They design the system around your averaged electric usage from the past 1-2 years. They take the total kWh used and go from there. Some only want to partially supplement their usage while others like myself wanted it to be a 100% offset or as close to it as possible. At the time I did mine there was a $1,000 rebate from the state and a 30% federal one. After those mine came out to just under $10K and a projected ROI of about 8 years. But with 3 increases from our electric company (doesn't effect me) my break even point will be this year which will be 7 years of ownership. All I pay is the taxes/fees which are roughly $16.50/month. Another nice thing is you're also buying a lifestyle. You're not susceptible to on/off peak hours and rates so if I'm hot at 1pm I turn the ac up where other usually wait until after 7pm when the rates are lower.
What's the lifespan of a whole house solar system? I've heard 20 years. I guess only the panels themselves would be replaced. The wiring an stuff would stay in place an save labor.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What's the lifespan of a whole house solar system? I've heard 20 years. I guess only the panels themselves would be replaced. The wiring an stuff would stay in place an save labor.
Mine have a 25 year (pro-rated) warranty which covers the panels and the micro inverters. I went with micro inverters (each panel has one) instead of just one large inverter. There are pros/cons of both but I liked the micro's because if one goes out all the others still work. Where as if a single inverter goes out the whole system is down. Kind of like Christmas tree lights.

Now after 20-25 years it doesn't mean they have to be replaced they just don't produce as much as a newer panel would. I can tell you so far after 6 full years mine are still producing the same with zero to little degrading. I get monthly reports on my production and a end of the year one to keep track of it.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
How much more is your electric bill than a neighbor who doesn’t own an EV?

Not a jab, I’m honestly curious.
Rough estimate from KBB How Much Does it Cost to Charge an Electric Car? | Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)
" Suppose you put 1,000 miles on your vehicle each month, for example, and pay 10 cents in your area for each kilowatt-hour of electricity. In that case, this pegs your at-home EV recharging bill at $25 to $33 per month (based on the calculation of 3 to 4 driving miles equaling one kilowatt-hour). Even if you double your electric rate to 20 cents per/kWh, your EV recharging cost will be $50 to $66."

My average monthly is 1200 miles, so using the above example it would cost me $30 to $40 per month. I currently pay about $220 month in gas for my Ranger. DeathRanger pays less for EV charging than I do in gas, and he drives 3 - 4 times the distance.

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I have neighbors in California who drive Teslas.

They all say the same thing: If you have an electric vehicle today, you MUST have at least a dedicated charger at home. If you plan on taking long trips, you MUST plan it based on the availability of Charging Stations or Tesla Super Chargers. Often on weekends, on popular routes, Charging stations can have long wait times. Some Tesla owner like to plug in their cars then leave the scene to have a meal, which means the next person in line is stuck waiting a while. So most Tesla owners do not take long road trips outside of this network of chargers.

The solution to the transition to electric vehicles is to have Solar power at home. But that's not always practical nor economically feasible. During the winter or long bouts of cloudy days and bad weather, you may not have enough Solar energy available to you. The cost of a Solar powered home is astronomical ($20k+ excluding subsidies).

We are close to making this complete shift. But it is not 50% close. Not even close. The best solution is really hybrid vehicles and NOT fully electric vehicles. Hybrid allows you to fuel up using standard gas station. Like the hybrid F150 that you can plug in or gas up. But there appears to be this rush to market fully electric vehicles without having the proper infrastructure to handle it.

Tesla may be valued at Trillions. But that's the view from Cool Aid drinking analysts. When the other mainstream auto manufacturers are full steam ahead on electrics, Tesla's cars will no longer dominate. Forget about buying a Rivian. Your chances of owning an Orphan is very high. The landscape is littered with dead or dying EV Start Ups like Rivian. Nowadays, the mere mention of "Electric Vehicles" draws investors in droves because they all think Tesla-Like success stories, totally ignoring the fact that the other auto manufacturers are awakening giants that will soon fill the market with highly competitive alternatives.

Oh and if you're an investor, or a potential buyer of an all new EV, be aware of who you're buying your vehicle from. The CCP is a very active investor of EV companies. They like to buy up dead or dying American EV "manufacturers" and pour money into them, usually just draining these companies for intellectual knowledge. When they're done, they go back to China and design their own EV using other people's knowledge.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Mechanically they're stable for 100+ years if nothing hits them. Electricity wise the panels tend to lose 0.5-1.5% year, so if we assume 50% functionality we can deduct that 0.99^x=0.5 and get roughly 69 years.

Inverters, balancers, etc. will last for 20-30 years.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This is the engineer in me talking. Until this country can produce energy using a sustainable fission reactor or some other means that produces unlimited amounts of energy for little to no cost we will be tied to the current methods and it’s drawbacks. Current infrastructure has to be addressed before the burden is placed on it or, obviously it will collapse on itself. Isn’t that right Watson…

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Sounds a little fishy, eh? ?

Have I Got A Deal For You.gif
If doing your own solar system the batteries are tough to get. Shipping is super expensive to the point where most will not ship them to you and prices vary wildly from place to place. Fortunately for me I was driving from across several states anyway, so I was calling every place along the way.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
We live in a fire prone area with frequent rolling blackouts in the summer since there is not enough electrcicity. There is not enough electrcity because the electric utility will not renew natural gas plant contracts and has shut down most nuclear facilities. Last time we were asked to "use less power due to high loads", they also asked people not to charge their electric cars. This EV thing doesnt seem anywhere close to being possible in the "greenest" of green states.
Sponsored