Not open for further replies.

bruhaum

First Name
Kelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Congrats on your new truck, the new ZR2 is sweet. I often wish I waited for the next generation of mid sizes before purchasing my Tremor.
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
If you seriously want to sell, check with Driveway.

Their offer is usually thousands more than Carmax.

Right now my Vroom offer is $4k more than Carmax and Driveway is usually above Vroom.

I just don't like using the Driveway estimator because every time I have used it, I select "contact me by email" and my cell is ringing before the webpage refreshes.

I've used my Google Voice number the last few times.
My vroom offer was 2k below carfax, as was carvana.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So I got a chance to look at a Z71 and a Trail Boss Colorado today.

Several things I noticed:

Transfer case has an Auto 4x4 setting. Yes!

The Trail Boss interior was very low rent feeling, with a plastic steering wheel and lots of sharp-edged cheap plastic trim. I didn't need to look any further on this one.

This Trail Boss was also the color that the salesman called "Mountain Dew". It looked good but also like it would get old after a bit. A bit too "loud" for my likes.

Z71 was MUCH nicer, with red stitching and trim. Nice leather steering wheel, better padded and better feeling than the Ranger wheel.

The digital gauge panel looks nice and the center stack display is big without being too bulky. I liked it.

I know this will come as a shock to many but the infotainment system seemed much snappier and more responsive than Sync.

The interior somehow seems smaller than the Ranger. I think it may be an illusion caused by the A-pillars which are much thicker than the Ranger.

REAL KNOBS for climate control. Probably my single biggest gripe with the Ranger is its terrible climate controls.

This particular Z71 had a $1000 sunroof option which was of Zero interest to me. I've had many vehicles with sunroofs and the only one I ever used much was my Grand Cherokee. This one was also that gray color that looks like clear coated primer that everyone in the world seems to love except me.

Factory tailgate damper

Rear seat bottom is split 60/40 with good under seat storage. The rear seat backrest appears to be fixed, or at least the salesman didn't know how to fold it down.

The tailgate storage is slick.

I popped the hood and looked. The alternator isn't at the bottom of the engine :rockon:. It's up about as high as the top of the tires.

The Z71 I drove (the 2.7 Turbo Plus engine, so 310/390 and not the max version of 310/430. Dealer can flash to the higher spec for $395)

It had 4 miles on it so of course it may improve with break-in.

It drove nice on road, about the same as my Bilstein equipped Ranger. Better than a stock Ranger FX4. Power was similar to my truck with the Tow tune but didn't seem to come on as quick. More linear build of power. I expect the higher spec version to come on quicker with much more torque.

So, bottom line for me:

My truck is paid for and the question for me is if it's worth $10k out of my pocket to get into one of these equipped the way I would want it.

Right now, No.

This version of the Colorado is a HUGE improvement over the previous version.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the ZR2 because it gets the multimatic shocks, 17" wheels, reinforced body points relocated shock mounting points and a bunch of other small things.

I'm already speaking to the dealership I'm picking up mine from about going ahead and ordering and installing 255/85/17 Baja boss tires (35" pizza cutters) if they will keep the factory 285/70/17 tires and put the value as credit towards the new tires.

It is pretty common for dealerships to upsell a truck that normally comes with street tires and installing AT tires on them.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Boy that Chevy picture looks identical to the 2024 Tachoma I just watched a video about. Good luck with a new Chevy model.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
So I got a chance to look at a Z71 and a Trail Boss Colorado today.

Several things I noticed:

Transfer case has an Auto 4x4 setting. Yes!

The Trail Boss interior was very low rent feeling, with a plastic steering wheel and lots of sharp-edged cheap plastic trim. I didn't need to look any further on this one.

This Trail Boss was also the color that the salesman called "Mountain Dew". It looked good but also like it would get old after a bit. A bit too "loud" for my likes.

Z71 was MUCH nicer, with red stitching and trim. Nice leather steering wheel, better padded and better feeling than the Ranger wheel.

The digital gauge panel looks nice and the center stack display is big without being too bulky. I liked it.

I know this will come as a shock to many but the infotainment system seemed much snappier and more responsive than Sync.

The interior somehow seems smaller than the Ranger. I think it may be an illusion caused by the A-pillars which are much thicker than the Ranger.

REAL KNOBS for climate control. Probably my single biggest gripe with the Ranger is its terrible climate controls.

This particular Z71 had a $1000 sunroof option which was of Zero interest to me. I've had many vehicles with sunroofs and the only one I ever used much was my Grand Cherokee. This one was also that gray color that looks like clear coated primer that everyone in the world seems to love except me.

Factory tailgate damper

Rear seat bottom is split 60/40 with good under seat storage. The rear seat backrest appears to be fixed, or at least the salesman didn't know how to fold it down.

The tailgate storage is slick.

I popped the hood and looked. The alternator isn't at the bottom of the engine :rockon:. It's up about as high as the top of the tires.

The Z71 I drove (the 2.7 Turbo Plus engine, so 310/390 and not the max version of 310/430. Dealer can flash to the higher spec for $395)

It had 4 miles on it so of course it may improve with break-in.

It drove nice on road, about the same as my Bilstein equipped Ranger. Better than a stock Ranger FX4. Power was similar to my truck with the Tow tune but didn't seem to come on as quick. More linear build of power. I expect the higher spec version to come on quicker with much more torque.

So, bottom line for me:

My truck is paid for and the question for me is if it's worth $10k out of my pocket to get into one of these equipped the way I would want it.

Right now, No.

This version of the Colorado is a HUGE improvement over the previous version.
It's not you, the interior of the new Colorado and Canyon are smaller than the current ranger. I also find the interior storage abysmall and the seating not good.

But man it rides nice, the bed has stake pockets and plenty of tie downs. Power feels super linear and good, the aftermarket is bigger than the ranger's. The ZR2 is also much cheaper than a raptor and it's so much truck out of the gate. In Canada the ZR2 is 20 000$ less than the ranger raptor.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
https://www.coloradofans.com/

Congrats on the new ride.
Guess you just called and cancelled the RR? Did you have to put anything down? Do you get it back?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
It's not you, the interior of the new Colorado and Canyon are smaller than the current ranger. I also find the interior storage abysmall and the seating not good.

But man it rides nice, the bed has stake pockets and plenty of tie downs. Power feels super linear and good, the aftermarket is bigger than the ranger's. The ZR2 is also much cheaper than a raptor and it's so much truck out of the gate. In Canada the ZR2 is 20 000$ less than the ranger raptor.
Yup the interior is crap compared to new ranger and especially the raptor.

But I can live with that and mod what I can.

That dumb camo for the interior trim on ZR2 is going to get a matte black vinyl job in short order.

The yellow stitching I am fine with since I got the desert color exterior. I can understand why any other owners with other colors other than nitro yellow think it sucks that yellow stitching is the only choice. Who the hell wants yellow interior stitching on a red or blue truck for example. Pretty stupid of Chevy to choose such a drastic color for that.

It also sucks that basically every car company out there that offers a vinyl floor will only allow you to select that on lower trims and never the higher tier stuff.

Plenty of us would rather have the cheap vinyl instead of carpet.

I love it in my patrol car I can literally spray it down with cleaner scrub it with a brush wet vac it up and it looks brand new even after 40,000 miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So I think someone mentioned the interior being smaller if I recall. I actually put a side by side up up of the interior (and the bed dimensions) and the trucks are nearly identical, everything is within an inch or so of each, some in favor of the Ranger, some in favor of the Colorado.

But mostly overall dimensions are nearly identical too, I won't have to modify my garage ramps it should back in fine. lol

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32/2023 CG XLT Scab FX4 Ranger
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely a good looking truck, and looking at the specs, well equipped. but no Super Cab option, just 4 door. I prefer the extra bed space.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.