First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I need some assistance please. I installed the Ford TBC. The only wires I connected under the dash are the 12V powering the TBC (I confirmed it has power, the knob lights up) and the brake signal going back to the 7-pin. Then I connected to the 3rd brake light for the brake signal.

I tried a Curt 7-Pin tester. It lights up the TM, LT, RT (Did not try BU). It will not light up the 12V or Brake LED.

Is this due to the truck not sensing a real trailer?

I am picking up my travel trailer tomorrow.

Thanks, Ed
Mine (with ford TBC) was the same way with my brothers tester. Though the brake light on his did activate.

When I picked up my trailer I ran through the usual setup then rolled forward, and spun the TBC knob up to max and tapped the brakes on the truck. The trailer stopped the truck hard. I was going 2mph just for said purpose. I then lowered the setting back down to 4-5. Going down a large incline on the way home. I increased the sensitivity to 6 ish. that way the trailer isn't pushing the truck when the brakes are on.

that is also why I went with the ford TBC. I manually adjusted the knob for various conditions coming down out of the Mountians in NH.

So that is your trailer brakes are working test, do not do it at anything beyond a crawl 1-2 mph.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I need some assistance please. I installed the Ford TBC. The only wires I connected under the dash are the 12V powering the TBC (I confirmed it has power, the knob lights up) and the brake signal going back to the 7-pin. Then I connected to the 3rd brake light for the brake signal.

I tried a Curt 7-Pin tester. It lights up the TM, LT, RT (Did not try BU). It will not light up the 12V or Brake LED.

Is this due to the truck not sensing a real trailer?

I am picking up my travel trailer tomorrow.

Thanks, Ed
Update. Once I hitched up a real trailer, the 7-pin connector fully worked. The truck shows a trailer attached message on the dash. Note that my Ranger did not recognize a trailer when the engine was started. It showed the message once the truck was shifted out of park and/or the brake was pushed down. Anyway, glad my Ford TBC is working. I do like the dial on the Redarc unit, to be able to easily change the braking gain depending on the road.