First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
I just recently purchased a new travel trailer. The RV dealership said my truck would need a charge line to be able to run my 12V fridge and charge the camper's battery while going down the road. They tested my connector and said the truck does not have a charge line, but it's probably just a fuse or a relay to make it work. I've looked at the fuse diagram in our owner's manual but did not see anything obvious. This is something I know nothing about. My brother-in-law is a mechanic and said he could just run a wire from the truck battery. Has anyone else been able to make this work and how did you do it? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It all depends on how the charge line will be hooked up to the camper. Exploration outfitters in Oklahoma might know of a good way to do this. They do alot of offroad stuff for camping weather it is setting up the truck to be romote or the camper to ger power from the tow vehicle.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
So, I am confused. I paid for the trailer tow package which includes the 7 pin connector. Pin 4 of the 7 pin connector is 12 VDC power. Is the pin 4 not connected to vehicle power? (I haven't checked mine.) This is assuming you are using a 7 pin connector for your travel trailer.

1590965493341.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ALranger

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
I also have the tow package and am using the 7 pin connector. The RV dealer connected some kind of tester to the connector and said it does not have the charge wire.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
I also have the tow package and am using the 7 pin connector. The RV dealer connected some kind of tester to the connector and said it does not have the charge wire.
Thanks for the heads-up; I will test mine soon. I will upset with Ford if pin 4 is dead.

OP
OP
ALranger

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
No problem. Let me know what you find out.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Just be aware that pin 4 may not be able to supply enough current for the fridge. Make sure of that too. Very important to remember when messing with electrical.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I seem to recall that it needs to actually detect a trailer hookup, or maybe just be on; the pin isn't continually hot.

Last edited:

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
Getting the Ford TBC installed tomorrow. The tech said it does have a charge line if you have the tow package. I e got a pretty good dealer (shocking) so I tend to think he is right. I agree that it might need to sense a trailer connected to power it up though.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Getting the Ford TBC installed tomorrow. The tech said it does have a charge line if you have the tow package. I e got a pretty good dealer (shocking) so I tend to think he is right. I agree that it might need to sense a trailer connected to power it up though.
Can you confirm if pin 4 becomes "hot" when you connect your trailer. If it only has voltage when connected I have not way of testing (no trailer at the moment.)

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
What size fridge is in the RV? Is it electric only (most RVS have fridges that can run on gas or electric)
From my experience, as others have mentioned the pin mentioned isn't always hot.

Also; From the RVS I've dealt with (all 2013+) including travel trailers, fifth wheels and a motor home, the Fridge doesn't run on electric unless your actually hooked up to "shore" power.

When your traveling the fridge should run propane. This requires power to ignite, but no more than what you battery on the RV should supply (this battery should charge when the Pin under question is hot, albeit very slowly).
Your fridge should have three modes on a switch; Off (won't run at all) Auto (runs on propane unless your on shore power, then switches over automatically), and Gas (only runs in Gas mode, even when connected to shore power).

Hopefully this helps

OP
OP
ALranger

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
This is all good to know. I haven’t actually tested rather the fridge works while plugged up to the truck, I just assumed the RV dealer knew what they were talking about. The fridge is a Furrion 12V, maybe 10 cubic feet. It does not run off propane at all. I’ve been having electrical issues in the camper and had to take it back to get it fixed, but I will actually test rather it works as soon as I get it back. I appreciate all the comments.

OP
OP
ALranger

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
I got my camper back last week and used it this past weekend. The fridge did work while plugged into the truck, it was about 30 degrees colder when we got to the camp site compared to when we left the house. I was happy with it. Not so happy about the misfire fault that started happening on my way home. Now the truck is back at the dealer to see what is making it misfire.
Sponsored