First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
Im a brand new Lariat owner and unfamiliar with Sync3. While playing music off of a USB drive I can `NOT switch tracks with the steering wheel controls. I can control volume but I cant advance through songs. Ive been using audio screen on the display to do it but would like to be able to move through music tracks like I could on my F150 with the original Sync. Can someone please advise??? Oh and BTW. Im Tom and from Vermont, with a brand spankin new 2021 Lariat with technology package, with the B and O stereo. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Well, all I have done is use my old gen 1 ipod touch connected to USB, and I can change tracks using the left most button on the right steering wheel control pad. Not sure what that button is called, but it is the same one for answering or hanging up phone calls.

As an aside, I use both my ipod and iphone connected via USB.. you need the phone hardwired to use waze nav. It took me a few days to figure out, but at first getting waze to be recognized was hit or miss. I finally figured out that having both ipod and iphone connected was dicey. So now, I have to unplug the ipod until all the iphone apps are recognized, then I can plug in the ipod and everything works after that. Sort of a pain, but I can live with it.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Im a brand new Lariat owner and unfamiliar with Sync3. While playing music off of a USB drive I can `NOT switch tracks with the steering wheel controls. I can control volume but I cant advance through songs. Ive been using audio screen on the display to do it but would like to be able to move through music tracks like I could on my F150 with the original Sync. Can someone please advise??? Oh and BTW. Im Tom and from Vermont, with a brand spankin new 2021 Lariat with technology package, with the B and O stereo. Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I have the STX with the stock radio (small screen) and it works from the wheel to change tracks.
you can also talk to it.
Question... Could it be the recording method or the type of thumb drive.?

Also could you try the other input?
Neither sounds likely.

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
1618755709935.png

This is the button, it doubles as the phone, do these not work?

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
To confirm: you have multiple tracks on the USB, they are MP3 format, and these buttons do not change tracks for you?

bottons.jpg

If that's the case, something is wrong. (unless the buttons are different on the Lariat) I'd try a hard reset of the head unit. Hold the power and the forward scan button for 10 seconds.

Edit: maybe the buttons are different on the Lariat...
buttons2.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Zaph. I assume you are correct... I have the lariat and it's the same as the pic in the post above yours. The phone buttons double as track select.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
How is your USB stick formatted? That might have something to do with it. For flashing Sync 3 Ford recommends using exFAT. My thinking is the system is looking for that. Worth a try!

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
How is your USB stick formatted? That might have something to do with it. For flashing Sync 3 Ford recommends using exFAT. My thinking is the system is looking for that. Worth a try!
Certainly worth a shot, but my gut says if it will read the music then it's not the format. But, don't hold me to that. :)

OP
OP

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
I have the STX with the stock radio (small screen) and it works from the wheel to change tracks.
you can also talk to it.
Question... Could it be the recording method or the type of thumb drive.?

Also could you try the other input?
Neither sounds likely.
Ive tried all 4 inputs. As far as how I have recorded it ... it wasn't me. Someone gifted me this drive a dozen years ago because I had commented on how much I liked the content.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Ive tried all 4 inputs. As far as how I have recorded it ... it wasn't me. Someone gifted me this drive a dozen years ago because I had commented on how much I liked the content.
If you wanted to try to reformat, it's as simple as copying the data to a computer, format the usb drive, then copy it back. It won't effect the data. I don't think that will do anything, but just in case you want to try it, certainly worth knowing for sure.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
This is outside of my strengths, but I did discover that I had to buy new thumbdrives which were a new format to record off my new computer. they now work perfect in my truck.
I'm a bit of a luddite but My son solved the issues when he replaced my desktop.
You might just try a new thumbdrive and put a few songs on it then try it in your truck.

cclayton

First Name
Collin Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
2019 XLT and mine works with the controls above the phone controls.

OP
OP

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
1618755709935.png

This is the button, it doubles as the phone, do these not work?
Dont I feel like an ass. This was the problem. I was pressing the wrong buttons. Thank you all who responded. Especially rparge for being able to see my dickheadedness!!!
Sponsored