First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
Moral of this story: Ya’ll stop playing “drivetrain engineer” (by installing a “fix” that’s unneeded) and just start enjoying this great lil engine as is..
I'm with you on that. There's a lot of controversy when it comes to catch cans. Some experts say it isn't necessary, others say you shouldn't live without it.

My thought is, if the engineers thought it was necessary, they would have made it part of the system.

On the other hand, Ford did switch to a hood prop on my '22. Can they really be trusted? ?
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I'm with you on that. There's a lot of controversy when it comes to catch cans. Some experts say it isn't necessary, others say you shouldn't live without it.

My thought is, if the engineers thought it was necessary, they would have made it part of the system.

On the other hand, Ford did switch to a hood prop on my '22. Can they really be trusted? ?
Not necessarily true -" making it part of the system" as one of the realities of autos today is requiring less maintenance and depending on the operating environment a catch can may require frequent maintenance - as in checking and if necessary emptying the contents. Also it's is installed in the emission system - which is regulated by the EPA, which requires that most problems with the emission system are monitored and trigger a MIL when amiss, so adding that to a catch can system is going to add cost and complexity. The oil separator system on the Ranger may be sufficiently effective but I'd be surprised if most engineers disagree that a catch can doesn't add an additional layer of protection.
And just to add to the above there are engines from some makers - Ford included that use MPI along with GDI - primarily to "wash" the intake valves as with non gdi engines.

Last edited:

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
It's funny that I noticed the hoses starting to crack. Tonight, while driving home, I heard an unusual "woosh" sound coming from the driver side engine bay when I'd get on the accelerator. When I got home, I looked around and found that the hose that leaves the catch can back to the manifold had split down the middle. In the morning, I'm going to get a 5/8" section of hose to replace it. Thankfully, this is the one that goes to the top of the engine. Although, who knows how far behind the PCV line is. Mishimoto and their crap hoses. I'll probably replace both with some braided hoses, like the UPR system mentioned above, eventually.

task65

First Name
TERRYT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Bridge Builder
Same here. They did the same offer for me but I declined. Sorry to any Mishi Fans out there but I would advise anyone to steer clear of their products based on this experience.
How did you get the hoses off? Please tell me. I hate this catch can

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
How did you get the hoses off? Please tell me. I hate this catch can
Perseverance. It likely helps that I worked in auto assembly for way too much of my life but I am very familiar with those big green CPA clips that holds them on. You need to kinda work the tips back and once they pop the hose comes off. You gotta feel around to find the little nubs at the sides.

Hope this helps even a little. Good luck.

task65

First Name
TERRYT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Bridge Builder
I tried twice but will try again. Im thinking of taking it in to my dealer and have them get to them however they can. I dont care what it costs. They usually work with me pretty good on things like that. And thank you for the quick response

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I tried twice but will try again. Im thinking of taking it in to my dealer and have them get to them however they can. I dont care what it costs. They usually work with me pretty good on things like that. And thank you for the quick response
I hate giving in LMAO. Try using the side of a trim removal tool

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I really believe FORD put those ports in a terrible place with regards to service. If the PCV valve goes south (as they do), it is going to be hell to replace it.

It was a $40 part when I purchased it, with the PCV valve integrated into the plate, so the entire assembly must be removed. To do so, it appears that the intake manifold must be removed! I do not see a way to easily get to the those upper plate bolts that are tucked under the intake manifold.

Anyway, this is the oil separator plate and the original hose.

PCV Plate .jpg
Sponsored