Wiper Arm Removal

SpB

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I had the windshield replaced on my 2019 Ranger and when I went to use the wipers the other day I noted that the driver's side wiper was tapping against the A-Pillar - something that it has never done before. I wonder if the windshield folks removed the wiper arm and didn't replace it back to the correct position... And I would rather not drive 20 minutes to the glass shop to have them address it.

Has anyone removed the wiper arms? I removed the tab over the base of the arm and unscrewed the nut that is under the tab and attempted to lift up on the wiper arm's base but it didn't move at all -- I was reluctant to force it and possibly break something... Thanks for any guidance you all may offer!
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
See no factory windshield not alignment marks! So looks like they went with a tapered shaft press fit align on our trucks. PIA to get off but considering older designs this is an improvement for longevity

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Might call the dealer and ask them if the timing for the wipers is controlled by the computer. Last summer my stepsons wiper assembly under the cowling broke at a joint. I ordered the part and installed it, even marked the locations first. They wouldn't quit stopping in the middle of the windshield. Found out via my mechanic that his Malibu had to have the timing set via the computer. They did it no charge. Not a dealer but a local shop.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That looks to be about the size of a basic faucet cartridge puller. If you have one, it would be worth a try.

OP
OP

SpB

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
So I ended up going back to SafeLite - they do remove the wiper arms with a windshield replacement. They adjusted them to sit a bit lower...

I did ask if they need to use a puller to remove the arms and the tech said they only need the puller if it's an older truck and the arm is good and stuck. Apparently to remove the arm on the Ranger he said they unscrew the bolt and then push down on the arm near the joint/spring and that action pops the arm off the bolt. I didn't try it but it might be a bit of good information to keep in mind for the future...

magnus

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
For what it's worth I ran into the exact same problem on my 2020, just tried removing the bolt and pushing down pretty hard in various places but no luck. Left a voicemail with my ford service dept to see what they recommend but just might bring it to them if I need a two leg puller.

Jalan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
So I ended up going back to SafeLite - they do remove the wiper arms with a windshield replacement. They adjusted them to sit a bit lower...

I did ask if they need to use a puller to remove the arms and the tech said they only need the puller if it's an older truck and the arm is good and stuck. Apparently to remove the arm on the Ranger he said they unscrew the bolt and then push down on the arm near the joint/spring and that action pops the arm off the bolt. I didn't try it but it might be a bit of good information to keep in mind for the future...
Dealer replaced our new 2020 Ranger windshield before we drove it home. (cracked in transit) I read this thread before I broke something. Our left wiper went over the windshield post and our dealer is 45 miles away. All went as the Safelite guy told you. The nut was not very tight. Pressed on the arm just below the spring, wiggled the arm, it slipped off. Two tries and it was aligned perfectly, so good that I could tell the right arm was a little high, but not a problem. I believe I have the nut tighter than before; don't want to break it. A little grease or anti seize might be a good idea for the tapered shaft.

This forum was a big help for me and saved time. Whatever glass outfit installed our windshield did not care if the wipers were aligned.

If you install a brake controller on a Ranger with factory installed trailer tow package, there are 4 wires in the upper left corner under the dash for a controller that are hard to reach, driver's seat needs to be removed if you are any size at all. But now our 25 yr old Techonska voyager works fine, stops quick. Someone who installs brake controllers full time can probably find wires that are easier to access. The brake controller is required to get you the 7,500# tow rating on this vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited: