First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I did all of this today and no change. Bluetooth works great. With CarPlay people still have a hard time hearing no matter the volume settings on phone or car.
Does "Hey, Siri..." (or Alexa) voice commands work? Can you pair a different phone to try? That may narrow it down to either the phone or the truck. I'm not familiar with the software, but maybe try a different USB cord. The chip in either end may not be telling the phone or truck to switch over from the phone's mic to the truck's.
Sponsored

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I had a similar experience where nobody could hear me if my phone was hooked up to Carplay (USB or with Carlinkit). I eventually gave up and stopped using Carplay if I anticipated I'd be on the phone. If I use just regular bluetooth, I never have a problem. Definitely not how technology should perform in our trucks, but I got tired of yelling and people telling me they could barely hear me.

I did all of this today and no change. Bluetooth works great. With CarPlay people still have a hard time hearing no matter the volume settings on phone or car.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
Odd. I had problems when I first bought my truck (september '22). I have used a carlinkit from the beginning. At some point, mine began working just fine though.

I believe it was an iOS update which fixed it for me. There are some forums that suggest ios updates were at fault, and that the fixed iOS version was released a bit after I got my truck: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-14-pro-carplay-microphone-volume-too-low.2360665/page-4 .

The suggestion is ios 16.02 and earlier had some problems switching microphones and setting microphone gain properly when connected via carplay. Of course it's possible that there is a software regression somewhere after 16.03 which brings the bug back...and the bug may depend upon which vehicle is in use. The last time I used it in my truck was a few weeks ago but it was working great...had a conversation while driving and there were no problems, and this was using the carlinkit.

My recommendation: update ios, then possibly unpair and repair the phone with the vehicle (Settings - General -> CarPlay -> choose your car, and then select 'Forget this car', then re-pair it).

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
No problems whatsoever with CarPlay, but definitely problems using the iPhone normally if I'm not holding the phone in the exact position so that it picks up my voice. My solution to that is just to turn it on to speaker mode. But CarPlay? It's perfect.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
If you google it, there are quite a few people having issues. Waze says its Apple's fault and Apple says its Waze's fault. Neither will resolve.
Do I have to uninstall it or just not run it while talking on the phone? This is a real bummer....

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I uninstalled Waze. Mic is still way too quiet. Also re-paired the phone to the truck.

iPhone 14 Pro. iOS 17.1.2

Sometimes people can hear me ok, but most of the time I have to shout to be heard.

It does this with wired or wireless CarPlay (through an adapter).

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Yeah I removed Waze and didn’t help. It is some issue between Apple and Sync that I don’t think will ever be fixed. Truly annoying. I just avoid phone calls or pick phone up closer if I have to take a call
Sponsored