Can Base Camp Routes be used/imported with the Ranger Lariat GPS?

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
The pup and I are going to Kerrville, Texas from Grand Junction, Co. Next Month (1150 miles one way). I have the route mapped out on base camp (Garmin). Can I import that route to the Ranger Sync system? Or, does Ford have something similar? On my Harley GPS system, I can export it to a usb thumb drive then import that to the infotainment system.

I don't like the route GPS's pick for this trip. They always take me on major highways. I70 to Denver, then I25 South, etc. Or, Over Red Mountain Pass ... I prefer the more rural less dramatic routes. Might take me an hour or three longer, but, I'm retired and time s a non factor. I enjoy the scenery and the abundance of places to walk the pup ... LOL.
Sponsored

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
There are routing options to ignore freeways in SYNC.
You may have to scroll down the page a bit to see it.
I use it a lot, and really does take the back roads.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The pup and I are going to Kerrville, Texas from Grand Junction, Co. Next Month (1150 miles one way). I have the route mapped out on base camp (Garmin). Can I import that route to the Ranger Sync system? Or, does Ford have something similar? On my Harley GPS system, I can export it to a usb thumb drive then import that to the infotainment system.

I don't like the route GPS's pick for this trip. They always take me on major highways. I70 to Denver, then I25 South, etc. Or, Over Red Mountain Pass ... I prefer the more rural less dramatic routes. Might take me an hour or three longer, but, I'm retired and time s a non factor. I enjoy the scenery and the abundance of places to walk the pup ... LOL.
No, there's no import feature. I've resorted to just using Gaia on Apple Carplay.

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There are routing options to ignore freeways in SYNC.
You may have to scroll down the page a bit to see it.
I use it a lot, and really does take the back roads.
I'll look into those, but, I was really hoping to be able to take the route I'd like to go ... not some souls computer's idea of how I should go. Don't get me wrong, I love having the ability to follow the routes. Around here, It's pretty easy to "loose" your way and end up going on the route you didn't want to be on in the first place.

A couple years ago, I was heading back to Grand Junction, Colorado from Kerrville, Texas. Just outside Santa Fe, NM., I made the turn that the GPS told me to. Thirty miles later, I saw a sign saying I was a heading to Red Mountain Pass. Red Mountain Pass is a very dangerous and scary route if there is any snow on it. Heck, it's dangerous all the time, beautiful, but, dangerous.

No, there's no import feature. I've resorted to just using Gaia on Apple Carplay.
I played with apple play a bit, didn't like it one several levels.

1) you have to plug in the phone. I have two iPhone 12's, the pro max and the mini. Both can charge from a magnetic charger that holds the phone, nothing but touch the phone to it ad your done.

2) I listen to audio books while driving and read digital books when not. I am a voracious reader. I use audible because I can sync between audio and digital. Literally listen while driving, then when I have a few minutes, pick up the phone and read right from were I left off. Apple doesn't play well with Audible. I can't purchase books via audible or Kindle on my phone, I need to go through Safari. I usually purchase my books while at home from my Mac.

3) I think Siri is one of the worst data theft things in the world. Right up there with Alexis, and all the others. I don't use Siri at all. An to use apple car apps it needs to be on. I may be fooling myself, but, I have gone to great lengths to prevent that. I understand that the Constitution holds no actual provision for privacy, doesn't mean I gotta make it easy to steal my data.

So basically, I just use the hone to broadcast the audio books via bluetooth over the truck's audio system.

Sorry to get off on a tangent, but it seems to me, technology should be used to make humans lives easier, not just to make money.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll look into those, but, I was really hoping to be able to take the route I'd like to go ... not some souls computer's idea of how I should go. Don't get me wrong, I love having the ability to follow the routes. Around here, It's pretty easy to "loose" your way and end up going on the route you didn't want to be on in the first place.

A couple years ago, I was heading back to Grand Junction, Colorado from Kerrville, Texas. Just outside Santa Fe, NM., I made the turn that the GPS told me to. Thirty miles later, I saw a sign saying I was a heading to Red Mountain Pass. Red Mountain Pass is a very dangerous and scary route if there is any snow on it. Heck, it's dangerous all the time, beautiful, but, dangerous.

I played with apple play a bit, didn't like it one several levels.

1) you have to plug in the phone. I have two iPhone 12's, the pro max and the mini. Both can charge from a magnetic charger that holds the phone, nothing but touch the phone to it ad your done.

2) I listen to audio books while driving and read digital books when not. I am a voracious reader. I use audible because I can sync between audio and digital. Literally listen while driving, then when I have a few minutes, pick up the phone and read right from were I left off. Apple doesn't play well with Audible. I can't purchase books via audible or Kindle on my phone, I need to go through Safari. I usually purchase my books while at home from my Mac.

3) I think Siri is one of the worst data theft things in the world. Right up there with Alexis, and all the others. I don't use Siri at all. An to use apple car apps it needs to be on. I may be fooling myself, but, I have gone to great lengths to prevent that. I understand that the Constitution holds no actual provision for privacy, doesn't mean I gotta make it easy to steal my data.

So basically, I just use the hone to broadcast the audio books via bluetooth over the truck's audio system.

Sorry to get off on a tangent, but it seems to me, technology should be used to make humans lives easier, not just to make money.
I don't disagree on any point here, just saying how you can get it to work with the current restrictions on Sync.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I do the same for off road and other specific routing in the Ranger. I have the premium subscription and use it mostly for hiking. Their number of available layers just puts it above the rest. Gaia is stil working out the bugs on their new Apple Watch app.

I realize everything including the Ranger 5G forum is trying to monetize my activity and location. I don't see how you really get around that and still live in the modern world. I live knowing that somebody or something is watching and listening to my every move. I can't change it so it doesn't bother me. My Ranger is hooked up to my wifi when in the garage. I'd bet it tells Ford how many times I fart.

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My Ranger is hooked up to my wifi when in the garage. I'd bet it tells Ford how many times I fart.
With my Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, I never passed gas ... I was way to afraid it would wipe!!!!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I do the same for off road and other specific routing in the Ranger. I have the premium subscription and use it mostly for hiking. Their number of available layers just puts it above the rest. Gaia is stil working out the bugs on their new Apple Watch app.

I realize everything including the Ranger 5G forum is trying to monetize my activity and location. I don't see how you really get around that and still live in the modern world. I live knowing that somebody or something is watching and listening to my every move. I can't change it so it doesn't bother me. My Ranger is hooked up to my wifi when in the garage. I'd bet it tells Ford how many times I fart.
80fd8b78131125e1119cad7f356dbe88.jpg

With a modern smartphone, data collection is always happening, 24/7 regardless of all the soothing assurances that your privacy is being taken seriously.

Part and parcel of technology in the 21st century.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80fd8b78131125e1119cad7f356dbe88.jpg

With a modern smartphone, data collection is always happening, 24/7 regardless of all the soothing assurances that your privacy is being taken seriously.

Part and parcel of technology in the 21st century.
I think you mean "... your data privacy is being taken, seriously..."

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I think you mean "... your data privacy is being taken, seriously..."

You are most assuredly correct ... Just being an old fart ... Makes me feel good to do what I can.

The data connections via cell on every app I have are off. I don't use but maybe 0.1 gb per month. I literally sync stuff via a lightning cord attached to my Mac ... Am I fooling myself???? Probably ... But, Ignorance, at least in my case, is bliss.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase

Hey Alan...
We are from Texas, living in Windsor CO.....We've lived all over the State of Texas and are very familiar with the Kerrville area. Maybe you might plan a route down to I-10 close to Kerrville that takes you through Mason County, then over to Llano on Texas 71 and down Texas 16 to Fredericksburg and then on to Kerrville. That area of Central Texas around Llano and Fredericksburg is where ALL us Texans love to go! Mrs. Quail Guy and I plan on retiring in that area. Some of the most beautiful parts of the State. Great German and Czech food throughout all that area.....just an idea if your headed that way.....

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hey Alan...
We are from Texas, living in Windsor CO.....We've lived all over the State of Texas and are very familiar with the Kerrville area. Maybe you might plan a route down to I-10 close to Kerrville that takes you through Mason County, then over to Llano on Texas 71 and down Texas 16 to Fredericksburg and then on to Kerrville. That area of Central Texas around Llano and Fredericksburg is where ALL us Texans love to go! Mrs. Quail Guy and I plan on retiring in that area. Some of the most beautiful parts of the State. Great German and Czech food throughout all that area.....just an idea if your headed that way.....

I'll look into that. I'll be heading down with the Trike in tow weather permitting. There's a Trike get together. But to be honest ... I really just go for the BBQ ... I can't remember the name of the place ... but, Last time I was there ... I was in Kerrville 2 days and three nights .... Had BBQ Beef Ribs, Brisket and Pork Ribs 6 times ... I would order doubles for lunch, the take half back to my room ... nuke it for dinner ... yummy.

I didn't do pulled pork ... I'm partial to my pork butt ... I do it in the smoker at 200* for 20 hours ... to die for.

2017-02-05 13.44.48.jpeg

2017-02-05 13.48.21.jpeg

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I'll look into that. I'll be heading down with the Trike in tow weather permitting. There's a Trike get together. But to be honest ... I really just go for the BBQ ... I can't remember the name of the place ... but, Last time I was there ... I was in Kerrville 2 days and three nights .... Had BBQ Beef Ribs, Brisket and Pork Ribs 6 times ... I would order doubles for lunch, the take half back to my room ... nuke it for dinner ... yummy.

I didn't do pulled pork ... I'm partial to my pork butt ... I do it in the smoker at 200* for 20 hours ... to die for.

2017-02-05 13.44.48.jpeg

2017-02-05 13.48.21.jpeg
If you plan that route through Llano.....some of the best BBQ in the State is at Cooper's on the west side of town coming in on Texas 71.......
Depending on what time you get there will determine if the line is around the building :sunglasses:, but it's worth it for sure.....
You'll find at places like Cooper's you don't have to pay for all the sides you do everywhere else....the pinto beans are in the back around the salad bar and you just help yourself.....no charge :clap:
GREAT FOOD!!!
We had five acres in the 90's we raised the kids on about 30 minutes from Llano close to Inks Lake State Park....we know the area well!!

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That's the one ... Like ten pits all outside under like car ports ... I wrap the doubles in parchment paper, then foil. When I want to put then in the microwave, just take off the foil ... almost as good as when they came off the smoker.

Their beef ribs are worth the trip.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
That's the one ... Like ten pits all outside under like car ports ... I wrap the doubles in parchment paper, then foil. When I want to put then in the microwave, just take off the foil ... almost as good as when they came off the smoker.

Their beef ribs are worth the trip.
Yes that's the place! You order outside off the pits and then go in for sides, dessert etc...and eating...lol.

I cheat on my Central Texas brisket rub.....it's supposed to be just kosher salt and course black pepper...but I sneak in just a smidge of brown sugar to get a good bark going (don't tell anyone)
I'm at 250F till I get to 160F internal....then I pull it, wrap it in parchment paper go to 225F on the smoker and take it to 201F internal.....comes out Texas perfect everytime :clap:
I'm right at 13 hours on my cook, typically. (I think this mile high location of mine plays with things a little)
Sponsored